Chris Stewart new voice of Alabama football

aubiefifty

Chris Stewart 'excited and grateful' to be voice of Alabama football's new era

Published: Feb. 22, 2024, 9:13 a.m.

4–5 minutes

Alabama Wins 2023 SEC Championship - Final Play called by Chris Stewart on Alabama radio

By

Nick Alvarez | nalvarez@al.com

As fans filtered into the main entrance of Coleman Coliseum, eyes continued to drift left toward Alabama basketball’s Florida pregame show. Some fans walked over, waiting behind stanchions. A couple of kids wanted a photo with a familiar face that, as of Wednesday afternoon, had a brand new title.

Chris Stewart, longtime voice of Alabama basketball, was now the lead play-by-play announcer for Crimson Tide football, too.

The news hadn’t fully sunk in for Stewart about three hours after officials at Crimson Tide Sports Network relayed the news. The joy was present, though, when Stewart recalled childhood days in Fairfield when he pretended to be legendary ABC Sports broadcaster Howard Cosell. Growing up, Stewart told family and friends that his dream job would be to call football games for UA athletics.

“I know what’s expected of the job,” Stewart said. “I know the standard that Eli (Gold) set, Paul Kennedy and John Forney before him, and so I know what it means to people. ... I have a responsibility to them to try and continue to live up to that standard and will do my best to do so.”

Stewart wanted to be clear he’s “not replacing” Gold, but instead following Gold’s legendary 36-year run with the university. Gold — who expressed repeatedly that he’s not retiring, and the move was Alabama and CTSN’s decision — had taken a step back in recent years while recovering from various health issues. Stewart had filled in through the Tide’s 2022 football season and handled road games in 2023.

After last fall, Stewart was led to believe it would be a similar arrangement moving forward. Instead, Stewart continues his rise in Tuscaloosa. He joined in 1998 and has called sports in a variety of roles, from radio to television to tape delays. Stewart also hosted “The Nick Saban Show.”

Chris Stewart has called Alabama men's basketball games since 1998. Crimson Tide Photos / UA Athletics

“I’m excited about it and I’m so grateful I also got a chance to work with the program and see firsthand probably the greatest run in all of college football history,” Stewart said.

Head basketball coach Nate Oats has developed a “great relationship” with Stewart, Oats said after UA rallied to beat Florida in overtime. Stewart and Oats have a postgame interview routine and Stewart has called the highlight moments in Oats’ trophy-filled tenure. A sound bite of one Stewart call plays on the Coleman Coliseum video board ahead of team introductions. With no disrespect to the television broadcasters, Oats said, if he had the time, he’d watch every game with the TV muted and Stewart’s voice on Tide 100.9-FM or WTBC 1230-AM.

Stewart said it would be one thing if it was a brand-new experience. But in many ways, it isn’t. Stewart took over for Gold as basketball’s play-by-play announcer more than two decades ago. He’s also called a variety of important matchups, including the Rose Bowl, Saban’s final game. Stewart’s full-time appointment will coincide with new head football coach Kalen DeBoer taking the reins from Saban, signifying a new era in Tide athletics.

“I’ve been here. It’s a new responsibility, a new title,” Stewart said. “I may be looked at a little bit differently by some people, but for me, while it’s incredibly meaningful and special, it doesn’t feel that different right now. Come see me on opening day, I’ll see what that’s like.”

Kentucky basketball ties Alabama football’s field-rush record

An emerging Grant Nelson and Sam Walters can spark Alabama basketball in postseason

Three takeaways as No. 13 Alabama rallies to beat No. 24 Florida in overtime

Latrell Wrightsell Jr. out with ‘head’ injury; Alabama hopes he can return soon

Eli Gold not returning for 2024 Alabama football season play-by-play

Nick Alvarez is a reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @nick_a_alvarez or email him at NAlvarez@al.com.

• WarTiger changed the title to Chris Stewart new voice of Alabama football