4.28.24 Football Articles

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Seahawks select Nehemiah Pritchett in 5th round of NFL Draft

Brian Hauch

~2 minutes

Auburn cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett became the first Tiger selected in the 2024 NFL Draft on Saturday. The senior defensive back was rising up draft boards as recently as Wednesday, and the Seattle Seahawks saw enough promise in the 23-year-old to select him with the 156th overall pick of the draft.

Pritchett is coming off a 2023 season in which he appeared in 9 games for Auburn, totaling 22 tackles, 4 passes defended, and 1 interception. His play earned him a spot in the Senior Bowl, where he further impressed scouts with his physicality and toughness.

The Jackson, Alabama native is set to join a young and talented Seahawks secondary featuring 2023 Rookie of the Year candidates Tariq Woolen and Devon Witherspoon. While the pair are virtual locks to earn starting roles on the outside in 2024, Pritchett could earn reps as a slot cornerback or backup to the two. He will also reunite with former Auburn linebacker Deric Hall, who was selected by the Seahawks in last year’s draft.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Brian on Twitter @TheRealBHauch

theplainsman.com

Auburn defensive lineman Justin Rodgers drafted by Dallas Cowboys

~3 minutes

Auburn defensive lineman Justin Rodgers was selected with the No. 244 pick in the seventh round of the NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys — one of five Tigers to hear their name called today. 

The defensive tackle enjoyed a four-year college career, with his first three seasons spent at Kentucky before transferring to the Plains prior to the start of the 2023 season.

In three years at Kentucky, Rodgers played in 33 games, tallied 60 total tackles and five tackles for a loss.

Rodgers senior season at Auburn started in a rotational role in which the defensive lineman recorded three tackles a piece against Cal and LSU. At the midpoint in the season, Rodgers got the start in the Tigers’ home game against Ole Miss – and didn't lose it the rest of the season – after amassing four tackles and a tackle for loss against the Rebels.

The Detroit native listed at 6-foot-2 and 330 pounds recorded a 24.5 inch vertical at the East-West Shrine Bowl. 

Rodgers joins defensive backs Nehemiah Pritchett (Seattle), Jaylin Simpson (Indianapolis), D.J. James (Seattle) and Marcus Harris (Houston) as Auburn's picks on Saturday – the first NFL draft since 2009 where the Tigers had multiple players selected, but zero on offense.

The now former Auburn Tiger will join the Dallas Cowboys who finished the 2023 season with a 12-5 record, won the NFC East and lost in the NFC Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs to the Green Bay Packers. 

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

Patrick Bingham | Sports Writer

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Auburn defensive lineman Justin Rodgers drafted by Dallas Cowboys” on social media.

247sports.com

Harris picked in 7th round by Texans

Nathan King

3–4 minutes

The Montgomery native spent three seasons at his dream school after beginning his career at Kansas

A three-year Auburn starter heard his name called on Day 3 of the draft on Saturday when defensive tackle Marcus Harris was selected in the 7th round by the Houston Texans. Harris was the 247th pick overall in the NFL Draft and becomes the fifth Auburn defensive player picked on Saturday, joining Nehemiah Pritchett (Seattle), Jaylin Simpson (Indianapolis), D.J. James (Seattle) and Justin Rogers (Dallas).

The Montgomery, Alabama, native enjoyed his best college season in 2023, leading Auburn with 11 tackles for loss, including seven sacks, plus a forced fumble and 40 overall tackles. Harris earned first team All-SEC honors from the Associated Press.

Harris' consistent productivity gave him Pro Football Focus' second-highest overall defensive grade on the team, only behind cornerback D.J. James, and Harris finished the regular season with the nation's No. 4 run-defense grade among defensive linemen. PFF named him first team All-SEC, as well.

After beginning his college career at Kansas, Harris transferred to Auburn ahead of the 2021 season and proceeded to start 36 games.

Harris is the fourth Auburn player drafted this year, following cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett (Seahawks) and safety Jaylin Simpson (Colts) in the fifth round, and cornerback D.J. James (Seahawks) in the sixth round.

This year is the first NFL draft since 2009 where Auburn has multiple players selected, but zero on offense. 

With Harris and Rogers turning pro, Auburn must replace both its interior D-linemen next season. The Tigers have brought in four defensive tackle transfers to help offset those losses: Gage Keys (Kansas), Trill Carter (Texas), Philip Blidi (Indiana) and Isaiah Raikes (USC).

waaytv.com

Five Tigers drafted on final day of 2024 NFL Draft

Auburn Athletics

7–8 minutes

DAY 3

CB Nehemiah Pritchett

Round 5, Pick 136, Seattle Seahawks

For the second straight year, the first Auburn player off the board is headed to Seattle. Last year, it was Derick Hall going to the Seahawks in the second round. This year, they took cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett with the first pick of the fifth round, No. 136 overall.

"It's really just a dream come true," Pritchett said. "It's been something I've been dreaming of all my life, just watching it on TV growing up as a kid. I'm really just thankful for this opportunity. I'm blessed. I got a chance to celebrate this moment with my family and friends. I can't wait to see what's next."

Pritchett started each of the last three seasons at Auburn and finished with 113 tackles, 29 passes defended and three interceptions in his five seasons on the Plains. His 4.36 in the 40-yard dash was fifth-fastest among defensive backs and eighth-fastest among all players at this year's NFL Combine.

"If you're looking for a press coverage corner, this is your dude," ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller said. "He's got the length at the line of scrimmage, a ton of reps – 329 of them playing up in press at the line of scrimmage. He can play. He's comfortable up. He knows how to redirect guys at the line of scrimmage using that length and using that speed.

'You're looking at this long, slender corner. This is Seattle's type. This is what (Seattle Seahawks GM) John Schneider likes at the corner position."

With Pritchett getting drafted, Auburn's streak of having a player taken in the NFL Draft is now at 21 consecutive drafts. Pritchett will join fellow Auburn defensive backs Carlton Davis, Jamel Dean, Rudy Ford, Noah Igbinoghene, Jonathan Jones, Roger McCreary and Daniel Thomas at the next level with that list likely to grow as the day goes on.

Seattle might be Pritchett's new home, but he will always be grateful to the Auburn Family.

"Auburn Family, I just want to say I thank you guys," Pritchett said. "I really enjoyed playing in front of you guys in Jordan-Hare. You have the best fan base in the world, and if I had to go back and do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing."

CB Jaylin Simpson

Round 5, Pick 164, Indianapolis Colts

The second Auburn defensive back to get the call in Saturday's fifth round, safety Jaylin Simpson joined the Indianapolis Colts with overall selection No. 164.

Simpson provided ample video for the Colts to evaluate during his five seasons on the Plains.

The 6-1 safety made four interceptions while earning All-SEC honors in 2023, finishing with 118 career tackles and seven INTs.

Now he returns to Indianapolis, where he showed out for scouts during the NFL Combine two months earlier.

"When he was locked up on you, he eliminated targets," ESPN analyst Matt Miller said Saturday after Simpson's selection. "When he was the primary defender, teams did not throw his way. He has experience in press coverage. He has experience playing the post safety position.

"He had a pick-six and a fumble recovery in the season opener against UMass. He was a playmaker for this Auburn secondary that was loaded with talent.

"I saw this guy at the Senior Bowl making plays at and near the line of scrimmage. Can't get pushed around by blockers in the run game. If he can work on that, he can find his way into a nickel and dime package in the NFL."

Before Auburn's A-Day scrimmage, Simpson received the Zeke Smith Award for being the Tigers' defensive player of the year in 2023.

"I'm just ready to get to that next level, start all over and continue to show why I think I'm one of the best," said April 6 on Pat Dye Field. "I'm ready to continue to do what I was destined for. Continue to grow as a player, continue to show everybody why I feel like I'm one of the best players in the country, one of the best safeties in the draft."

CB D.J. James

Round 6, Pick 192, Seattle Seahawks

The 16th pick of the sixth round, D.J. James will have a built-in roommate when he arrives in the Pacific Northwest for training camp.

One round after Seattle drafted Auburn cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett in the fifth round, the Seahawks selected James with pick No. 192 overall.

"It's a blessing to be here," James said, minutes after celebrating wtih family and friends. "Something I've worked for my whole life. Now I'm just ready to showcase my skills and I'm excited. I've got a chip on my shoulder."

With fellow Auburn defensive back Jaylin Simpson drafted by the Colts in the fifth round, 2024 marks the first time the Tigers have had three secondary players selected in the same draft.

For James, who played his first three collegiate seasons at Oregon, the cross-country trip from his hometown of Mobile to Washington state will be nothing new.

A two-year starter on the Plains, James totaled 75 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, three interceptions and 21 passes defended in 2022 and 2023.

He earned Second Team All-SEC honors as a junior, attracting attention from NFL scouts.

DT Justin Rogers

Round 7, Pick 244, Dallas Cowboys

Justin Rogers became the fourth Auburn player to be drafted Saturday when the Dallas Cowboys selected him in the seventh round with the 244th overall pick.

The 6-foot-3, 346-pound defensive tackle played one season at Auburn after transferring in from Kentucky and recorded 17 tackles, two tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks. Prior to Auburn, he had 60 tackles and five tackles for loss over his three seasons at Kentucky.

Rogers, a native of Detroit, Michigan, is the first Auburn player drafted by the Dallas Cowboys since defensive end Jeremiah Ratliff went to Dallas in the 2005 NFL Draft.

The Tigers have now had four or players taken in back-to-back drafts and eight of the last 10 drafts going back to 2014.

DT Marcus Harris

Round 7, Pick 247, Houston Texans

Just three spots after the Cowboys drafted Justin Rogers, fellow defensive tackle Marcus Harris joined him in the Lone Star State, selected by the Houston Texans in round seven at No. 247 overall, the fifth player from Auburn's defense to be picked on Saturday.

Harris strengthened his NFL resume with a productive 2023 season, his third on the Plains.

The 6-3, 295-pound defensive tackle led Auburn with seven sacks and 11 tackles for loss last fall before entering the 2024 NFL Draft and flashing at the NFL Combine with 27 bench press reps of 225 pounds.

After starting his college career at Kansas in 2020, the Montgomery, Alabama, native returned to his home state when he transferred to Auburn in 2021.

In three seasons, including the past two as a starter, Harris logged 97 tackles, 11 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss, earning the Great Southern Wood Lineman of the Year Award for his 2023 performance.

al.com

Former Auburn S Jaylin Simpson selected by Colts with 164th pick in 2024 NFL Draft

Updated: Apr. 27, 2024, 2:28 p.m.|Published: Apr. 27, 2024, 2:25 p.m.

~3 minutes

Auburn safety Jaylin Simpson 2024 NFL Draft Preview

Former Auburn safety Jaylin Simpson was selected No. 164 by the Indianapolis Colts in the fifth round of the 2024 NFL Draft.

He is the second Auburn player taken in this year’s draft, coming behind former Auburn cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett.

Simpson had the best season of his career with 2023 with four interceptions including three in the first three games of the year. He developed into an All-SEC safety with more than 70 total tackles over the last two seasons and seven career interceptions.

The Brunswick, Georgia, native had the option to come back to Auburn for one more season if he wanted and certainly considered it strongly. He initially planned to play in Auburn’s 2024 Music City Bowl appearance, but opted not to because of a lingering hamstring injury he didn’t want to risk further in NFL preparation.

But conversations with then-defensive backs coach Zac Etheridge convinced Simpson to go now.

The prevailing thought: Why come back to college? His draft stock probably wasn’t going to get much higher.

Simpson was a fan favorite throughout his time at Auburn for his high-energy play on the field and funny, quotable moments off it. Maybe none more notable than his coined “Plankton Mentality.”

He tested well at the NFL Combine. Simpson had the fourth fasted 40-yard dash time among safeties, the third highest vertical jump and second further broad jump.

Simpson’s vertical jump at the combine came in at 39.5 inches, which he improved to 40 inches at Auburn’s Pro Day in March.

Simspon was part of a full-scale defensive backs room departure to the draft. Starters Nehemiah Pritchett, DJ James and Zion Puckett all entered the NFL Draft along with Simpson. Kayin Lee and Keionte Scott are the only returning defensive backs with any consistent starting experience at Auburn.

Auburn reshaped its safety position with additions including Jerrin Thompson from Texas and Laquan Robinson from junior college.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.