No. 6 Women's golf with strong opening round at NCAA Championship

Good start.............

CARLSBAD, Calif. – No. 6 Women's golf began the NCAA Championship with an opening round of 285 (-3), which places them in a tie for third place in the field of 30 teams. Freshman Anna Davis continued her impressive play after winning the Auburn Regional by carding a 3-under 69.

"I saw a lot of maturity out of the team today," Auburn head coach Melissa Luellen said after the round. "I think the course played differently in the afternoon than it did in the morning. It got firmer and it seemed like it played a little bit shorter so we had to make some adjustments off the tees on the fly. I think we like the course and I think we have a good plan for the course so as long as we stick to our plan and stay committed, we'll have more good days."

After a slow start on the first two holes of the round, the Tigers heated up later in the day and ultimately tallied 16 birdies as a team. Auburn is five strokes behind 18-hole leader Clemson.

Davis picked up two birdies on the front nine, then recorded back-to-back birdies on No. 11 and No. 12 including a chip-in from just short of the green on the 11th hole. Davis extended her rounds under par streak to three after Friday's round and recorded her 11th round under par this season.

Redshirt sophomore Casey Weidenfeld carded a 2-under 70 in her opening round which included four birdies. Senior Megan Schofill was 2-over through 12 holes at the Champions Course at the Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, but picked up three birdies in her final four holes of the round to finish at 1-under (71).  Schofill and Weidenfeld each recorded their 15th round under par this season on Friday.

Senior Anna Foster settled in after a 3-over start through her first two holes of the day to post a 75 (+3), which was the final counting score for the Tigers.

"I'm especially proud of Anna Foster for having a rough start and just never getting upset," Luellen said about the senior. "She's unflappable, just parring away. She had a lot of birdie looks but didn't make anything today so I think it bodes well for tomorrow."

Auburn played under cloudy but comfortable conditions on Friday afternoon during the opening round and will now play in the morning wave beginning just after 9 a.m. CT during Saturday's second round paired with players from LSU and UCLA.

"All of the top ranked teams are in the same boat as we are in, so I like that we're playing under the same conditions," continued Luellen. It's a quick turnaround. We'll get to bed as early as we can and get up. It'll be a very early morning but we know that is part of the deal here."

The championship format includes 30 teams and six individuals completing 54 holes of stroke play on Friday-Sunday. Then the top 15 teams along with the top nine individuals not on an advancing team will compete in one additional day of stroke play on Monday to determine the top eight teams for match play competition and the 72-hole stroke play individual champion.

The top eight teams after 72 holes of play will be placed into a bracket with the No. 1 seed playing the No. 8 seed, the No. 2 seed playing the No. 7 seed, the No. 3 seed playing the No. 6 seed and the No. 4 seed playing the No. 5 seed in match play. Three rounds of match play will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday to decide the national champion.

Live scoring of the second round will be available online at Golfstat.com and the GolfStat mobile app.

Auburn individuals:

Placement Player Round 1 Score
T8 Anna Davis 69 (-3)
T13 Casey Weidenfeld 70 (-2)
T18 Megan Schofill 71 (-1)
T87 Anna Foster 75 (+3)
T116 Katie Cranston 77 (+5)
  • Like 2

Women were tied for 5th after Saturday's 2nd round...

CARLSBAD, Calif. -  No. 6 Women's golf is tied for fifth place in a field of 30 teams after firing a second round 290 (+2) on Saturday at the Omni La Costa Resort & Spa Champions Course in Carlsbad, California. The team has a score of 575 (-1) through two rounds. The Tigers were led by Casey Weidenfeld, who recorded a second consecutive round of 2-under (70) and is currently in a tie for fourth place on the individual leaderboard.

"Every day we're learning more about the golf course," Auburn head coach Melissa Luellen said after the round. "We're choosing more strategic about clubs off of tees and I find that this golf course doesn't lend itself to power. I think the girls have done a really good job with making good decisions off the tees, changing clubs and just really managing the golf ball around.

"Probably the most disappointing thing today is we just didn't make any putts. Everything else is in order and we didn't hit bad putts, maybe just misread some of the greens a little bit. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I think it's been two solid days of golf. Our goal tomorrow is just to try to separate ourselves a little bit and move up that leaderboard, working on being in that top eight."

Weidenfeld, who began her round on the 10th tee, made the turn at even par before sticking a close approach for a birdie on No. 4. She then added another birdie to her card on the par-5 sixth hole to later finish 4-under through 36 holes (140). The redshirt sophomore now has 110 birdies this season, which is three shy of the record for most in a single season by an Auburn player.

"My putting has been really good the last few days," Weidenfeld said after the round. "I've been rolling them on line and I'm seeing a bunch go in. I've made four birdies and a couple of bogeys in each round, so just some steady golf and ball striking has been pretty good too."

Birdie for Casey 🐝 moves her to 1-under for the day 💪

📊 https://t.co/OicHlYTpVC pic.twitter.com/wn6ogWeFSX

— Auburn Women's Golf (@AuburnWGolf) May 18, 2024

Freshman Anna Davis is also in the individual top-10 through two rounds at 3-under (141), which places her in a tie for seventh place. Davis followed up an opening round of 69 with an even par 72 on Saturday. Davis recorded a par on every hole during her first nine, then carded a bogey on No. 1 and a birdie near the end of her round on No. 7. The freshman has played the par-4s at the Champions Course at 4-under for the tournament.  

"She's been hitting the ball well, but I would say she didn't have a great putting day herself," Coach Luellen said about Davis' round. "When I got to watch her play the last five holes, she was able to keep her emotions in check. Didn't hit the best wedge on No. 6, which would have been her 15th hole, and just left herself in a really difficult spot. Although she was upset she hit a bad shot, she just collected herself and hit and brilliant pitch shot to get up and down. Then she turns around and birdies the next hole."

Senior Megan Schofill shot a 74 (+2) in her second round and is tied for 37th on the individual leaderboard at 145 (+1). Anna Foster nearly holed out her approach shot on her first hole of the day which led to a birdie, but made the turn at 2-over for the day. Foster played steady on her second nine with a par on each hole to card a second round 74 (+2). Foster is tied for 74th individually at 5-over for the tournament (149).

The Annas puttin' in work 🏌️♀️#WarEagle pic.twitter.com/5okGyuhnEx

— Auburn Women's Golf (@AuburnWGolf) May 18, 2024

As a team, the Tigers are 10 strokes behind the leader, Texas A&M, and must be within the top-15 teams after Sunday's round to play the final round of stroke play on Monday.

The championship format includes 30 teams and six individuals competing in 54 holes of stroke play, which will conclude on Sunday. Then the top 15 teams along with the top nine individuals not on an advancing team will compete in one additional day of stroke play on Monday to determine the top eight teams for match play competition and the 72-hole stroke play individual champion.

The top eight teams after 72 holes of play will be placed into a bracket with the No. 1 seed playing the No. 8 seed, the No. 2 seed playing the No. 7 seed, the No. 3 seed playing the No. 6 seed and the No. 4 seed playing the No. 5 seed in match play. Three rounds of match play will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday to decide the national champion.

Auburn will be paired with LSU and UCLA for the third round on Sunday beginning just after 9 a.m. CT. Live scoring of Sunday's round will be available online at Golfstat.com and the GolfStat mobile app.

Auburn individuals:

Placement Player Round 1 Score Round 2 Score Total Score
T4 Casey Weidenfeld 70 (-2) 70 (-2) 140 (-4)
T7 Anna Davis 69 (-3) 72 (E) 141 (-3)
T38 Megan Schofill 71 (-1) 74 (+2) 145 (+1)
T73 Anna Foster 75 (+3) 74 (+2) 149 (+5)
T119 Katie Cranston 77 (+5) 77 (+5) 154 (+10)

today was my birthday so I wasn't able to keep up with the tourney. We had a terrible day but made the first cut of top 15 teams. We are currently tied for 7th still have tomorrow need to stay in top 8 to get to final 8 teams to start match play. We shot 13 over had so many doubles and a few triples hopefully got the worse out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

today was my birthday so I wasn't able to keep up with the tourney. We had a terrible day but made the first cut of top 15 teams. We are currently tied for 7th still have tomorrow need to stay in top 8 to get to final 8 teams to start match play. We shot 13 over had so many doubles and a few triples hopefully got the worse out of the way.

Well, happy birthday!   You still counting?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Happy Birthday!  Hope you had a a great day - wish you health and happiness in the year ahead. 

• Like 1

Auburn women's golf has strong finish on Day 1 of NCAA's

Auburn women's golf played well on Saturday.

No. 6 Women's golf began the NCAA Championship with an opening round of 285 (-3), which places them in a tie for third place in the field of 30 teams. Freshman Anna Davis continued her impressive play after winning the Auburn Regional by carding a 3-under 69.

"I saw a lot of maturity out of the team today," Auburn head coach Melissa Luellen said after the round. "I think the course played differently in the afternoon than it did in the morning. It got firmer and it seemed like it played a little bit shorter so we had to make some adjustments off the tees on the fly. I think we like the course and I think we have a good plan for the course so as long as we stick to our plan and stay committed, we'll have more good days."

After a slow start on the first two holes of the round, the Tigers heated up later in the day and ultimately tallied 16 birdies as a team. Auburn is five strokes behind 18-hole leader Clemson.

Davis picked up two birdies on the front nine, then recorded back-to-back birdies on No. 11 and No. 12 including a chip-in from just short of the green on the 11th hole. Davis extended her rounds under par streak to three after Friday's round and recorded her 11th round under par this season.

Redshirt sophomore Casey Weidenfeld carded a 2-under 70 in her opening round which included four birdies. Senior Megan Schofill was 2-over through 12 holes at the Champions Course at the Omni La Costa Resort & Spa, but picked up three birdies in her final four holes of the round to finish at 1-under (71).  Schofill and Weidenfeld each recorded their 15th round under par this season on Friday.

Senior Anna Foster settled in after a 3-over start through her first two holes of the day to post a 75 (+3), which was the final counting score for the Tigers.

"I'm especially proud of Anna Foster for having a rough start and just never getting upset," Luellen said about the senior. "She's unflappable, just parring away. She had a lot of birdie looks but didn't make anything today so I think it bodes well for tomorrow."

Auburn played under cloudy but comfortable conditions on Friday afternoon during the opening round and will now play in the morning wave beginning just after 9 a.m. CT during Saturday's second round paired with players from LSU and UCLA.

"All of the top ranked teams are in the same boat as we are in, so I like that we're playing under the same conditions," continued Luellen. It's a quick turnaround. We'll get to bed as early as we can and get up. It'll be a very early morning but we know that is part of the deal here."

The championship format will includes 30 teams and six individuals completing 54 holes of stroke play on Friday-Sunday. Then the top 15 teams along with the top nine individuals not on an advancing team will compete in one additional day of stroke play on Monday to determine the top eight teams for match play competition and the 72-hole stroke play individual champion.

Live scoring of the second round will be available online at Golfstat.com and the GolfStat mobile app.

Auburn individuals:

Placement

Player

Round 1 Score

T8

Anna Davis

69 (-3)

T13

Casey Weidenfeld

70 (-2)

T18

Megan Schofill

71 (-1)

T87

Anna Foster

75 (+3)

T116

Katie Cranston

77 (+5)

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

today was my birthday

Happy birthday.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Day 3 (Sunday, May 19) results...Auburn in 8th place in the team competition after Sunday's round.  If Auburn holds on to a top 8 finish after today's 4th round they will advance to the finals.  Megan Schofill is Auburn's highest-ranked player in the individual competition, tied for 13th place.  She was tied for 38th place after the 2nd round but her 2 under par 70 on Sunday propelled her up the leaderboard.  Auburn's Anna Davis dropped to tied for 41st place after being tied for 4th place after the 2nd round (she shot an 8 over par 80 in Sunday's 3rd round).

CARLSBAD, CALIFORNIA – Adela Cernousek of Texas A&M has proven to be a model of consistency, posting three consecutive rounds of 68 to fuel her rise to the top of the individual leaderboard and her team to the lead by one stroke after three rounds of the 2024 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championships being played on the North Course at the Omni La Costa Resort & Spa (6,330 yards/par 72).

On Sunday, Texas A&M posted a one-over-par 289, which is good enough for a one-stroke lead over Stanford in the 72-hole championship. Texas A&M sits at 10-under-par after 54 holes. Final round play on Monday will determine seeding for the eight teams advancing to match play, with the individual champion also crowned.

The other 13 teams joining Texas A&M and Stanford for the fourth and final round of stroke play include LSU, Clemson, Northwestern, UCLA, Oregon, Auburn, Arkansas, Southern California, Duke, Wake Forest, Mississippi State, Texas and Florida State. The 15 schools advancing to Monday will be joined by the low nine individuals on non-advancing teams. Teams competing on Monday will be vying for one of the eight match-play seed positions. The team national champion will be determined by a match-play format that will consist of quarterfinals and semifinals conducted on Tuesday, May 21, followed by the finals on Wednesday, May 22.

Cernousek, a junior from Antibes, France, is on the verge of setting several NCAA championship records and is attempting to become the first Texas A&M player to win the NCAA individual championship. Currently sitting at 12-under-par and six strokes in the lead over Lottie Woad of Florida State, Cernousek was only one stroke shy of the all-time championship record for three rounds, which is 13-under-par by Virginia Elena Carta of Duke in 2016. The championship record for four rounds is 16-under-par, also by Elena Carta in 2016. The all-time largest margin of victory by an individual in championship history is eight strokes by Elena Carta in 2016.

“I was excited with the early tee time today as knew the greens would be softer and that there would be less wind to deal with,” said Cernousek, who is looking to record her first collegiate victory. “The most important thing to me is how our team is playing. We all believe in ourselves and feel like we are all capable of posting a great round each time out. Feel like the want is there and everything is lined up for success.”

Cernousek’s 54-hole total (204) is the third-lowest score in program history. Earlier this week on May 14 she won the U.S. Open Qualifier at the Golfcrest Country Club in Pearland, Texas, securing a spot at the 79th U.S. Women's Open Championship to be played May 30-June 2.

“She is really good,” said Texas A&M Head Coach Gerrod Chadwell of Cernousek. “She has had a really good last two years. Her match-play record is phenomenal. She hasn’t put a lot of trophies in the trophy case, but she has consistently been right there. She has slept on a few overnight leads this year and has been really close. I think the U.S. Women’s Open finally punching that through probably gave her the confidence she needs.”

Stanford, which was the only team in the field to post an under-par round on Sunday, trimmed four strokes off of the Texas A&M team advantage. The Cardinal posted its third consecutive round of 285 and is 9-under-par for the championship.

“It was more of the same today,” said Stanford Head Coach Anne Walker. “It was so disciplined, committed, a lot of patience and no quit. The golf course got way more challenging today. The wind picking up. The greens are firming up. Hole locations were tougher and green speeds were faster. I think it all led to a challenge that was a significant degree up today.”
Cardinal freshman Paula Martin Sampedro fired a 2-under-par 70 on Sunday, with all three of her NCAA championship rounds having been under par. For her freshman season, Sampedro has posted par or better scores in 23 of her 27 rounds. This marks the fourth time this year that her first three rounds of a tournament have all been par or better.

“Just a little disappointed from a competitive standpoint with our finish,” said Chadwell about his team. “It wasn’t bad, it’s not easy out there. We left some shots out there with the putter. We really got it going. If you told me we would be leading after 54 holes I would be tickled pink.”

The scoring average for today’s third round was 76.44. By comparison, Friday’s scoring average was 74.10 and Saturday’s scoring average was 75.17.

The fourth round of the championship will tee off on Monday, May 20 at 10:30 a.m. PST at La Costa. Golf Channel and Peacock coverage of the championship begins Monday, with the final round of stroke play and the crowning of the individual champion broadcast live beginning at 6 p.m. EST.

Edited by Golden Eagle

One of the worse days of scoring by an Auburn women's team I can remember in recent years we had two of our best players shoot in the 80"s

• Sad 1

Golf it is all your fault by celebrating your birthday you were not able to provide your normal level of support to the women's team. The lack of the Golf voodoo caused the bad scores. 

JUST KIDDING.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 

• Like 1

A decent start we're off to a 1 over thru about 6 holes still making a few double bogey's which have hurt us. Currently in 7th place top 8 teams make the round of match play. Got to fight off Northwestern, Oregon and the Hogs for that 7/8 spot

Going to be a long day we aren't really playing that well imo

• Thanks 2

We're hanging in 7th place with about 4 holes to go for us. I'm starting to feel better about staying in top 8 keep fingers crossed

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We're hanging in 7th place with about 4 holes to go for us. I'm starting to feel better about staying in top 8 keep fingers crossed

How much cushion between us and number 9 team?

Well we did it hung on by the skin of our teeth thank god for freshman Anna Davis saved our ass. Ended up 8th 2 strokes ahead of Wake Forest looks like we'll be playing Tx A&M, LSU or Stanford either one is fine with me. Match play anything can happen depth is the name of the game. I don't think we will win it all but if we can clear up some mistakes we've had the last two rounds one never knows what can happen. 

For example today A&M, who's tied for first, shot 15 over par we shot 8 over 7 strokes better.  Also we beat both A&M and LSU in the SEC tourney in stroke play. So you never know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Thru 4 holes we’re tied 2-2-1 going to be a long day keep the course Auburn 

• Thanks 2

Oh well lost 4-1 want go into how close it was but proud of the team to make it this far. We're a good team not very deep especially compared to the Men's team. Bad day for the SEC as all three teams lost LSU and A&M both lost.

Now the Men are next starting May 24

24 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh well lost 4-1 want go into how close it was but proud of the team to make it this far. We're a good team not very deep especially compared to the Men's team. Bad day for the SEC as all three teams lost LSU and A&M both lost.

Now the Men are next starting May 24

Thanks for the updates Golf.  Maybe next year we go deeper.  War Eagle Ladies!!

14 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Thanks for the updates Golf.  Maybe next year we go deeper.  War Eagle Ladies!!

Your welcome I enjoy doing it......its the sport I most love 

Three of the girls come back next year and we had a top 5 2024 recruiting class. As I've said a few times Auburn golf both men and women are in great hands future is bright imo

• Love 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Three of the girls come back next year and we had a top 5 2024 recruiting class. As I've said a few times Auburn golf both men and women are in great hands future is bright imo

After a long break from golf, about 10 years, I started playing golf again with a few guys from work. It was one of the best things I ever did. It was not about the golf, it was about enjoying something you love with great friends. Although, I did finally take some lessons and have improved my game. I have broken 80 a few times but still have those days with a 90. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

After a long break from golf, about 10 years, I started playing golf again with a few guys from work. It was one of the best things I ever did. It was not about the golf, it was about enjoying something you love with great friends. Although, I did finally take some lessons and have improved my game. I have broken 80 a few times but still have those days with a 90. 

Good to hear and glad you're enjoying golf again....best thing to do is not take the game serious just enjoy being with friends and the outdoors. I was a serious golfer for 20 years and got burn out stopped playing/didn't pick up a club for 2 years. I was around 32 when I stop once I started playing again I actually played better and enjoyed it more. I could go on and on about playing golf in my life but would probably bore people to death although I do have some unique story's.

16 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Too Sweet!!!!   Now we just need our Big 4 sports programs to catch up with Golf.

• Like 1

I love playing golf, but the time commitment and cost drove me away once I had children.  

35 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I love playing golf, but the time commitment and cost drove me away once I had children.  

Cost is understandable as well as time when you have kids.

If cost wasn’t a problem I would say it’s a great sport for kids to learn