JPW and a DUI

DKW 86

FYI, but no comment from me:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...8280.xml&coll=2

TUSCALOOSA - Alabama freshman quarterback John Parker Wilson appears to be suspended for Saturday's football game against Tennessee, given his membership on the scout team during Tuesday's practice.

Wilson, the backup to starter Brodie Croyle, was arrested early Sunday morning in Northport and charged with DUI for a minor. He faces a Nov.4 court date.

"We're going to handle his discipline like we do everybody else's - internally," Crimson Tide head coach Mike Shula said Tuesday.

However, junior Marc Guillon worked as the No.2 quarterback Tuesday and said his chronically sore back hasn't bothered him in weeks.

Croyle, Guillon and freshman Jimmy Barnes wore the familiar yellow "no-contact" jerseys that quarterbacks wear during Tuesday's practice. Wilson wore a crimson No. 10 jersey of the scout team, perhaps mimicking Tennessee's No. 10, Erik Ainge, instead of Wilson's familiar No. 14 yellow jersey.

Past legal transgressions have resulted in at least one-game suspensions under Shula, a recent example being safety Marcus Carter's May 28 arrest for underage possession of alcohol. Carter was suspended for Alabama's opening game against Middle Tennessee.

I have a co-worker that said in the Birmingham News (no link...sorry) it reported yesterday that JPW blew a .02 which is illegal for kids under 21. For adults 21 or older the limit is .08.

A point .02 blood alcohol level is like 1 maybe 2 beers. How many people (that drink) have driven after having 1 or 2 beers? I think everyone needs to get off of their high horse when it comes to this kid, whether he blew a .02 or not. If you drink...you have driven while intoxicated...anybody that says they have not is lying!

I don't think it is a joking matter. This kid has been talked about poorly and everyone in the state now knows that he has gotten a DUI. How would you feel if your son not only got a DUI but it was being reported on EVERY news cast, talk radio, and forum around the state.

Let it go people and leave the KID alone.

I have a co-worker that said in the Birmingham News (no link...sorry) it reported yesterday that JPW blew a .02 which is illegal for kids under 21. For adults 21 or older the limit is .08.

A point .02 blood alcohol level is like 1 maybe 2 beers. How many people (that drink) have driven after having 1 or 2 beers? I think everyone needs to get off of their high horse when it comes to this kid, whether he blew a .02 or not. If you drink...you have driven while intoxicated...anybody that says they have not is lying!

I don't think it is a joking matter. This kid has been talked about poorly and everyone in the state now knows that he has gotten a DUI. How would you feel if your son not only got a DUI but it was being reported on EVERY news cast, talk radio, and forum around the state.

190469[/snapback]

I agree but at the same time wonder if you would have the same degree of tolerance if he had run over and killed you son on this 1st DWI occurence, if it was the first.

190469[/snapback]

I agree but at the same time wonder if you would have the same degree of tolerance if he had run over and killed you son on this 1st DWI occurence, if it was the first.

190473[/snapback]

I agree...but I don't know all of the circumstances. We don't know if he was reckless driving or going 43 in a 35 MPH zone. My point is...this is something he is going to pay the price for with fines, no licsence and that sort of thing...why is everyone bashing or making fun of the kid? I guess it is just hard for me to fault a kid for something that I have done in the past. Does everyone that has 2 or 3 beers at dinner while eating a steak at Outback get a DD? Once again, I am not saying he was not wrong, I am just saying...glass house...stones...that sort of thing.

190469[/snapback]

190473[/snapback]

I agree...but I don't know all of the circumstances. We don't know if he was reckless driving or going 43 in a 35 MPH zone. My point is...this is something he is going to pay the price for with fines, no licsence and that sort of thing...why is everyone bashing or making fun of the kid? I guess it is just hard for me to fault a kid for something that I have done in the past. Does everyone that has 2 or 3 beers at dinner while eating a steak at Outback get a DD? Once again, I am not saying he was not wrong, I am just saying...glass house...stones...that sort of thing.

190481[/snapback]

I agree with you and I for one have not been bashing the kid. It is difficult to find fault with someone doing the same things we may have done earlier in life (DWI wasn't one of my sins) but such experiences shouldn't be used as excuses to humorously brush aside things either.

I don't want anyone to mis understand me. Someone that is charged with a DUI needs to be punished severly BY LAW...just not by the media or from people that don't like the school that he plays for

Guest Tigrinum Major

190469[/snapback]

The Huntsville Times tells a different story - 0.14, well over the legal limit for anyone.

Huntsville Times Article

190469[/snapback]

The Huntsville Times tells a different story - 0.14, well over the legal limit for anyone.

Huntsville Times Article

190494[/snapback]

I take back everything that I said....he was pretty hammered...no further comment...

As someone who has been affected by DUI's, I can only hope they throw everything they can at someone who is hammered and drives.

Throw EVERYTHING at him.

It is very easy to sit there and say, "Ah, he just had a few drinks" but when someone "has a few drinks" and slams into a family member killing them....

You start to actually have a different view.

My best friend got a DUI 2 years ago and to this day I couldn't be happier the cops threw his ass into the New Orleans police cell with "rapists and convicted murderers" as he put it" Next time, he will give someone the keys. :o:)

190469[/snapback]

Regardless of if he blew a .02 or a .14, think about why this is getting so much attention. If you play football in this state, you are constantly in the spotlight and the decisions you make have the potential to be seen by everyone, and the decisions you make affect a lot of people.

JPW, whether he had 1 beer or 8, made a choice. It is illegal to drive after drinking, especially as a minor. JPW is at all times 1 snap away from being the starting QB for his team. He is jeopardizing not only himself and those on the road by driving after drinking AT ALL, because even if he had only 1 beer and had a busted tail light he could get caught for drinking and driving. This puts his whole team at risk.

I've done some drinking in my day, but there is never a reason to drive. There are many other ways to get home, and drinking and driving is never worth the risks that it involves.

Having a family member injured or killed; changes your view dramatically on the situation. I unfortunately have had two such instances one (grandmother, aunt and uncle) the other were three friends of mine on a senior trip. Granted he didn't hurt anyone but this needs to go beyond the school punishment, the local law needs to do something. He was underage for one and two he was driving, merely sitting out a game or two will not hammer the point home to most kids, I don’t know about him personally.

Having been a police officer in Auburn and Opelika I have very real view on those that decide to drink and drive. I have been to and even witnessed one involving a drunk driver. The one I witnessed sent 3 elderly adults to the ER 2 with severe injuries, as the guy ran a red light and T-boned them at about 50 mph. I have arrested a lady driving in the middle of the afternoon who blew almost a 0.4, yes you read that right, I think it ended up being a 0.37. Arrested her after she rear ended another vehicle in traffic, nothing serious. Arrested one guy on Christmas Eve after he ran into the curb on a bridge in Opelika. He was so drunk he couldn't even walk or talk to me. I didn't even have to do field tests. He blew over a 0.30. Luckily the time of time and day helped b/c there was literally no one else on the roads. A large majority of those that are arrested once, have done it or will do it again. Have seen some that have had as many as 10+ in thier life. I was particluarly glad for the new law several years ago that made DUI a felony after the 4th. One guy I arrested for his 8th, after almost hitting me head on, then while out on bail awaiting trial he was arrested again for DUI.

Just trying to make a point. DUI is caused mostly by alcoholism or stupidity. I realize people make mistakes and then learn from it. I also know reality the number of people driving that do not have a license at all, for many reasons. I do not hav emuch sympathy for those caught driving drunk b/c of that factor of what if they wreck hitting my wife and kids. That is what motivated me while a police officer. Being his first, he will get a stiff fine, first offense I think is $500 plus community service and probation. If his attorney is smart he will plead youthful offender for the bare minimum. I wish him well and hope he learns his lesson!!!

I really hesitated to link the following story during the discussion on this thread. But the more I thought about it the more I thought it might influence someone's thinking or opinion. It is very graphic so don't read it or look at the pics if you have a weak stomach. It demonstrates that dying in a wreck caused by DWI may not be the worst thing..........living could be. Don't stop at the home page. Go to all the pics.

www.helpjacqui.com/home.htm

Archived