JPW and a DUI

DKW 86

From Crimson Tusks...

I did not post this until I saw it being discussed over there.

We were all 18-19 year old kids. I never got a DUI, but if the state of Alabama went back and mailed me one retroactively for when I was 18-19 I would shut up and pay the ticket.

Remember, this posted as FYI and that we do not slam kids, ours or others on this site.

POINT TO BE MADE: If Brodie gets hurt this weekeend againast :ut: Will JPW even be available?

I know what CTT would do, the guy would get a suspension, if not sent off the Hargrave for a year. Ala, Rowell.

I'm like you DKW, I have some nights that it is fortunate that I was not pulled over or injured someone when I was that age also. Lot of people have done it. I fortunatly got in the habit of using resources that provided sober drivers on the weekends and made a habit of staying away from the wheel while drinking.

You gotta punish the kid though, as this isn't a simple breaking of team rules (like missing a film session or something), its something that could harm either himself or others very seriously.

I don't think Shula will go lightly on him, and I don't think the Alabama faithful will fault Shula for it no matter if Brodie is healthy or injured in the coming weeks with the exception of a few idiots that we all have.

18-19 year old kids do stupid things sometimes. As has already been stated, "But for the Grace of God", it could have been me at that age. We should be very thankful for the character of the young men that Coach Tuberville has brought into our program. I hope this serves as a wake up call for this young man as he thinks about the opportunities that have been afforded him.

I was an early adopter in stupidity. I pulled this stunt in high school and was fortunate no one got hurt, I didn't get caught, and all I had to do was clean the vomit out of my car before going home. And that was made easier by the fact that my first car was vinyl interior...including the floorboards. I literally sprayed out the passenger side at one of those drive in auto wash places then used half a can of Lysol finishing it up.

That's not to minimize the seriousness of what he did. The fact that no one got hurt is just his (and their) good fortune. Some punishment is definitely in order such as suspension of at least a game or more.

I know what you guys are saying and I'm in the same boat. But would any of you teel your kids "boys will be boys" so just be careful? Or let them read the posts here? Sorry to preach, but boys turn into men and sometimes old habits are hard to break. I'm probably oversensitive to this issue right now. I recently had a good friend who stopped on Saturday afternoon, with his Dad, to have a few beers on his way home from a fishing outing. After leaving the bar around 4pm, my friend headed home pulling his big boat with a big pickup truck. (you can probably see where this is headed). He broadsided a car, killing a 17 year old boy and his 81 year old grandfather. Now two families are ruined. My friend has been under suicide watch. he has a wife and two sons who will be forever emotionally scarred. And most likely, my friend will be financially ruined at best.

Sorry for the ranting but I just get chills when I hear someone casually dismissing young people's problems just because they did it when younger too. We teach our kids lots of things not to do that we did. But DWI should be at the top of the list.

JMHO.

Maybe I missed something but I don't see anyone casually dismissing anything. People are acknowledging that they too did stupid things like this when they were young, so they can't go off too hard on the kid without invoking the same kind of judgment on themselves, but they say things like:

That's not to minimize the seriousness of what he did. The fact that no one got hurt is just his (and their) good fortune. Some punishment is definitely in order such as suspension of at least a game or more.
I hope this serves as a wake up call for this young man as he thinks about the opportunities that have been afforded him.
You gotta punish the kid though, as this isn't a simple breaking of team rules (like missing a film session or something), its something that could harm either himself or others very seriously.

I understand your concern, but I don't think you read the posts closely enough before saying what you did. No one is dismissing anything.

PT, first of all I am very sorry for the tragedy your friend is involved in. I understand your thoughts and feelings. In defense of previous posters on this thread, I don't think anyone was or is "casually dismissing young people's problems just because they did it when younger too." Merely stating fact that if JPW were not a football player at Alabama there would be no mention of his indiscretion in the news or on message boards.

I quit drinking years ago and thank God every time I hear of an incident that I was fortunate enough never to be involved in one like your friend.

I have talked to my three daughters since they were young about the perils of drugs and alcohol. Thank God they saw me and their Mom living what we taught rather than saying one thing and doing another. I have also talked to my grand children about those things and even though they are young, they have heard and they have not seen duplicity on my part concerning the consequences.

Hopefully, JPW has learned a lesson and will not have to learn it the hard way later.

I don't feel bad for the kid whatsoever nor do I feel bad for those that have gotten DUI's. I never thought of drinking or driving and when someone does, they should be punished. In addition, I also have had friends/family problems with it thus I learned my lesson early and often.

I did stupid things in HS but something like getting drunk then driving never crossed my mind.

I was wondering why his name was removed from the web-site but someone correctly mentioned his youthful status thus being lawfully able to remove it.

maybe we should change his name to suit the other alabama quarterbacks who share his hobby john parker kitchens stabler wilson

:big:

maybe we should change his name to suit the other alabama quarterbacks who share his hobby  john parker kitchens stabler wilson

189757[/snapback]

Geez man, how could you leave out Joe Willie? :big::big:

Now that you mention it, this looks like another bama tradishun :cheer:

maybe we should change his name to suit the other alabama quarterbacks who share his hobby  john parker kitchens stabler wilson

189757[/snapback]

189764[/snapback]

my bad, have you guys heard the story of why stabler got arrested that night at the keg in orange beach?

189757[/snapback]

189764[/snapback]

Well if you are going there, don't leave out David Palmer. :(

189757[/snapback]

189764[/snapback]

189766[/snapback]

Palmer wasn't a bama QB. He took a few snaps but was never ballyhooed as the next savior at bama QB.

stabler backed into a tree at the keg and the cops told him he could go home (probably bammers) well after they left he hit a car in the same parking lot........they had no choice.

189757[/snapback]

189764[/snapback]

189766[/snapback]

Palmer wasn't a bama QB. He took a few snaps but was never ballyhooed as the next savior at bama QB. However , you could add Scott Hunter.

another true story:

my brother graduated from UA and his friends were out drinking one night. One of his friends sisters dated freddie kitchens. Freddie got piss drunk that night and my brother's friend dropped him off in the front yard of the president's mansion where he slept that night.

i really think JPW has done us a great favor by bringing such a storied tradishun of UAT back. :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Keep to the thread topic, guys. Personally, I don't see this as a joking situation. Keep the kid that made a bad mistake out of it. Some of you that are making fun of this should review your own posts for duplicity.

thank you moral police but i'm not the one that was drinking and driving in northport at 2 in the morning..........i don't mean anything malicious and lord knows i've done some drinking in my time, however i don't go driving afterward, that is illegal. But maybe later we can start a smack thread about the alcoholic alabama quarterback tradition.

thank you moral police but i'm not the one that was drinking and driving in northport at 2 in the morning..........i don't mean anything malicious and lord knows i've done some drinking in my time, however i don't go driving afterward, that is illegal.  But maybe later we can start a smack thread about the alcoholic alabama quarterback tradition.

189779[/snapback]

:big::big::big:

Guest Tigrinum Major
thank you moral police but i'm not the one that was drinking and driving in northport at 2 in the morning..........i don't mean anything malicious and lord knows i've done some drinking in my time, however i don't go driving afterward, that is illegal.  But maybe later we can start a smack thread about the alcoholic alabama quarterback tradition.

189779[/snapback]

Never said you were.

When you do decide to start that thread, make sure you start it in the appropriate place.

189779[/snapback]

Never said you were.

When you do decide to start that thread, make sure you start it in the appropriate place.

189787[/snapback]

he's right, if we want to continue bashing the university of jim beam we need to have this thread moved to the smack forum

Proud Tiger I think the victums of which you speak are part of my family. Did this accident happen in B'ham a few weeks ago?

Proud Tiger I think the victums of which you speak are part of my family. Did this accident happen in B'ham a few weeks ago?

189809[/snapback]

Nope.

Archived