ESPN Radio

rexbo

The system is a mess. But why didn't Tubby speak out last year at this time??? It sounds more like sour grapes coming from a coach that shot his mouth off before the season and then had to explain what he "really" meant... Why worry about the BCS Championship game now? Why didn't he have the... [gumption] to say what he said, last year, when it matter for AU? The only way that we will be a part of the BCS championship game is if they hold a Championship play-in for the 2005 SEC Western Co-Champs. :rolleyes:

Tubby never intended for his comments to be released for consumption outside of that venue. Oops. Nothing brave or couragous there. Tubby's interview with Dan had more "ums", "ahs" and stammering, I thought I was listening to Mike Shula's first press conference. Held his own??? :blink: Held his own what???

Tubby please close your mouth, and focus on winning the rest of our football games this season.

:au:

The system is a mess. But why didn't Tubby speak out last year at this time??? It sounds more like sour grapes coming from a coach that shot his mouth off before the season and then had to explain what he "really" meant... Why worry about the BCS Championship game now? Why didn't he have the... [gumption] to say what he said, last year, when it matter for AU? The only way that we will be a part of the BCS championship game is if they hold a Championship play-in for the 2005 SEC Western Co-Champs. :rolleyes:

Tubby never intended for his comments to be released for consumption outside of that venue. Oops. Nothing brave or couragous there. Tubby's interview with Dan had more "ums", "ahs" and stammering, I thought I was listening to Mike Shula's first press conference. Held his own??? :blink:   Held his own what???

Tubby please close your mouth, and focus on winning the rest of our football games this season.

192828[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? He DID speak out about it back then. He told anyone who would listen that he thought we deserved a shot at this thing and that this thing wasn't fair. Did you sleep through last postseason or something?

If anything, saying all this last year (in his amount of detail) would have sounded more like sour grapes than saying it now. With us out of the title game this year, his words carry more weight because it doesn't get looked at as lobbying when his team directly benefits.

CTT did hold his own. He tried to be congenial with DP practically yelling at him and interrupting him the whole time but he stuck to his original gripe: ESPN has too much power within the system we're under and that if those coaches he called out can criticize teams and other coaches, he has every right to criticize them.

I've got an idea about who should close their mouth and it ain't CTT. I mean, damn, you look for any opportunity to cross wires with him or anyone who expresses support for him.

raven, Tubby didn't change his position at all. He acknowledged ESPN's contributions to college football and gave them props. But he stated very candidly that ESPN, specifically, the Game Day crew, has an unwarranted influence on this system and the voters. I would have liked him to be more forceful in his comments, but the guy had the guts to come on and not back down from what he said.

4life, You are right. I didn't think about the ABC affiliation before I posted. If that's not enough to influence ESPN to hype the "Sexy" #1 and #2 matchup, I don't know what is. Folks, I don't think we have a clue how much money is at stake here for these programs when someone gets left out of the big game. ESPN has far more influence than we can imagine on who actually gets in.

Don't understand why people think he didn't want this statement released. Tuberville has been around the SEC and the Alabama media long enough to know that every single thing that he says at these QB clubs etc is fair game and will make the press. It wasn't a ooops.

The ESPN crew is the most watched, its where these SID's and coaches etc that vote catch up on what other teams did. You sit down to see how X performed against X and you got Corso, Herbie and so slanting the highlights. Example: Auburn struggled and survived against rival Alabama. USC should be admired and did what good teams do when faced with a bitter rival and a target on them. Thats the two messages Gameday sent out after those games.

I went to Texas and I am a huge Texas fan, but even I'll admit that the Gameday crew are on their knees directly under Bevo's tail with lips puckered and mouths full. They've pushed Texas/USC the entire year and will slant anything that happens to them to a positive while a team like Va Tech they will push to the side, and claim they aren't doing enough or potray Texas Tech (who sucks) to be a higher quality team just like they did with Ok State and Aggy last year for OU. The SID's and coaches will see the select highlights and make their vote.

Raven is just going to find any nitty gritty he can on anything about the coaching staff. We'll let him be the "minority" on the subject.

Regardless, alot of people are actually taking CTT's back across the nation. Is this the start of more coaches speaking out? I sure hope so.

Tubby never intended for his comments to be released for consumption outside of that venue. Oops. Nothing brave or couragous there. Tubby's interview with Dan had more "ums", "ahs" and stammering, I thought I was listening to Mike Shula's first press conference. Held his own??? :blink:   Held his own what???

192828[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? He DID speak out about it back then. He told anyone who would listen that he thought we deserved a shot at this thing and that this thing wasn't fair. Did you sleep through last postseason or something?

If anything, saying all this last year (in his amount of detail) would have sounded more like sour grapes than saying it now. With us out of the title game this year, his words carry more weight because it doesn't get looked at as lobbying when his team directly benefits.

CTT did hold his own. He tried to be congenial with DP practically yelling at him and interrupting him the whole time but he stuck to his original gripe: ESPN has too much power within the system we're under and that if those coaches he called out can criticize teams and other coaches, he has every right to criticize them.

I've got an idea about who should close their mouth and it ain't CTT. I mean, damn, you look for any opportunity to cross wires with him or anyone who expresses support for him.

192831[/snapback]

“You’re exactly right Dan."

"Those GameDay guys are my friends."

"They (GameDay Crew) do a great job."

-Tommy Tuberville, On The Dan Patrick Show, 10/26

:puke:

Wow, talk about double speak...

I respect most everyone opinion on this board. I was expressing my opinion on the matter. It seems as though you are the one who is intolerant of dissenting views. Look back on my original post. Did I quote any previous posts??? No. Just expressing my opinion.

Tommy never took the hard-line stance last year that he is taking this year. Period. He managed not to protest too much, probably the smart thing to do at the time. But why cry about it now, during the season? Why not make his incendiary statements before the season or after the season??? Especially if he is going to go on ESPN RADIO and um and ah his way back to Auburn with his tail between his legs. How many coaches have come out to support Tubby as of tonight? As of tonight, is it anything more than a blip on the radar screen outside of Alabama?? A lot of risk for pretty much minimal gain.

That must be why they call him the Riverboat Gambler... :blink:

Honestly when I listend to the interview his speach patterns were the same that they are during almost every press interview.

Thought Tuberville made his argument well, gameday slants the highlights with their opinions and they are the most watched by SID's and coaches that vote to catch up on what teams did. Patrick just tried to go 3 different ways with him on that and bait him into a bashing contest. I applaud him for not taking the bait. So when you push Texas and Vince Young and Matt Leinhart and USC 45 minutes out of your 90 minute show (with highlights and stories.... who gives a flying $%^$ if Leinhart was at a Victoria Secret party) its all they are going to see. That was his main point, ESPN is the leading source these voters see and their slants and comments due influence the voters greatly in a already flawed system.

And he is correct with the way Gameday has gone, they take pop shots and riducule coaches and players at a Jr. High level of insult. 10 years ago gameday dedicated more time to covering the other games, you got more coverage and match-up analysis then with a hour show than you do now with a 90 minute show. Rather than a oh btw this other SEC team is playing this other SEC team they would give you 5 minutes of match-ups, comparisons, and needs to win.

Some of you are saying that ESPN will not televise Auburn for awhile. You are crazy. Auburn has been on ESPN more than any other team. Don't think for 1 second that ESPN will not televise AU-UGA or AU-UA if they get the chance.

“You’re exactly right Dan."

"Those GameDay guys are my friends."

"They (GameDay Crew) do a great job."

-Tommy Tuberville, On The Dan Patrick Show, 10/26

:puke:

Wow, talk about double speak...

Explain to me how those quotes, combined with the other statements he made sticking to his guns, amount to a hill of beans.

I respect most everyone opinion on this board. I was expressing my opinion on the matter. It seems as though you are the one who is intolerant of dissenting views.

I'm not intolerant of dissent. I'm intolerant of slanted dissent that ignores what doesn't support it's view and only highlights that which does. That is your primary MO with all things related to CTT.

Tommy never took the hard-line stance last year that he is taking this year. Period. He managed not to protest too much, probably the smart thing to do at the time.  But why cry about it now, during the season? Why not make his incendiary statements before the season or after the season???

Then why are you bitching about it? Your quotes:

"But why didn't Tubby speak out last year at this time???"

"Why didn't he have the... [gumption] to say what he said, last year, when it matter for AU?"

He didn't do it then because with his team in the thick of it, it would have looked more like lobbying and less like commentary to be considered seriously. If it was the 'smart thing' to do, then stop busting his chops about not doing this last year.

Especially if he is going to go on ESPN RADIO  and um and ah his way back to Auburn with his tail between his legs.

I'd love to see you do a radio interview on any subject and not "um" and "ah" when someone is yelling and interrupting you every other sentence. And in the full context of the interview, CTT stuck to his original complaints. If that's running back to Auburn with one's tail between their legs, you live in a real interesting world, Raven.

How many coaches have come out to support Tubby as of tonight? As of tonight, is it anything more than a blip on the radar screen outside of Alabama?? A lot of risk for pretty much minimal gain.

That must be why they call him the Riverboat Gambler... :blink:

192877[/snapback]

Is this the measuring stick? Don't say what you think, play nice and say what they want you to say and "thank you sir, may I have another?" And you're getting on him about having his tail between his legs?

Man, I wish moderators could activate the ignore button for people like you.

Bama/Miss State has a storyline....... Croom. AU/Kentucky will be over in the first half with no storyline.

Don't think storyline matter? Check out Fowlers interview at All Things Longhorn blog at around the 18 minute mark. He goes into broadcasting agenda's and hyping for games.

http://hornsblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/ut-gameday.html

I saw this earlier, but got bored with it, a AU guy pointed out the 18 minute mark which I didn't make to the first time through.

Post from another topic. Fowler's comments are EXACTLY, EXACTLY what Tubberville was talking about, the power and influence that ESPN holds behind the scenes, and then lets their Agenda come out during the broadcasts. Dan Patrick knows this crap goes on behind closed doors at ESPN but would never admit it, he needs to go watch this interview with Fowler, and he will see that the "cat is out of the bag".

I waited until hearing the whole interview before I posted.

I think TT was right on about ESPN. Unfortunately, I don't think DP really heard what he was saying. He never said ESPN was evil or horrible, just that they don't realize how much they truely influence the votes.

I think CFB fans have been what has built up ESPN/Gameday, not the other way around.

Here's my email to Danny-boy:

You stated yesterday that college football needs ESPN more than ESPN needs college football. What arrogance!! ESPN has been in existence for a whopping 25 years. Auburn University and the University of Georgia have been playing football since 1892 - that's 113 years - ONE HUNDRED THIRTEEN YEARS - of football.  Do you think for one minute that if ESPN pulled the plug and said "No more college football" that the sport would just wither up and die? Please. While I surely recognize that the athletic departments benefit from the additional revenue received from televised games, the rest of us would never miss you.  Whether or not ESPN televises a game would have ZERO impact on a school, its fans, or the continued success of a program. Football will go on, with or without ESPN and the unbelievable hubris of commentators like you.  You are paid to stir up controversy - without it, you have no job – you are just some guy with both a nose and an opinion like everyone else. Coach Tuberville said what the majority of the other 119 coaches in Div 1A are thinking but didn't have the guts to say publicly, Now you guys have your panties in a twist because someone finally called you on it.  If something happens and USC or Texas loses, I can’t wait to see how you guys scramble around to put your own twisted brand of spin on it, after kissing their asses all season.  We Auburn fans, who have been subjected to two seasons now of USC/Leinart worship by the sports media, including ESPN, are sick of it.  GameDay’s 24-7 coverage last year of Matt Leinart getting his nails done, and Jason White washing his car, when an equally talented and possibly superior Auburn team is barely recognized, is ludicrous. I used to be glued to the TV waiting for GameDay – but no longer.  Who wants to see an insightful interview with the guy who sat next to Matt Leinart on a bus last week?  Go ahead and say I am just a bitter Auburn fan - well, maybe I am.  But since Vince Young is the newly anointed one, and the Rose Bowl is already carved in stone, then by season's end, you can probably add the Hokies, Crimson Tide and Bulldogs to the list of bitter fans too. 

Jenny, again, you have outdone everyone in your convincing argument, and scathing but still classy attack.

Since Miers is withdrawn, I say we nominate Jenny for the Supreme Court and I will pay good money to watch the confirmation hearings.

Jenny, again, you have outdone everyone in your convincing argument, and scathing but still classy attack. 

Since Miers is withdrawn, I say we nominate Jenny for the Supreme Court and I will pay good money to watch the confirmation hearings.

193053[/snapback]

Thanks, but I write better than I speak when it comes to scathing-ness. :) I would convert to being a bammer fan before allowing myself to ever be nominated for anything requiring a Senate confirmation. And the American people wonder why finding good, honest people to fill political appointments is an impossible task?

Besides, once they pulled my hands off of Nancy Pelosi's throat, you'd all have to chip in for bail money. :big:

I guess we should all expect to be on the official ESPN/Dan Patrick poopie list from now on. On the other hand, if they slight us and it is unjustified, it could backfire and make them look bad.

I said from week one that they should re-name the program "USC's College GameDay starring Matt Leinart and a bunch of people with puckered lips..."

Archived