Fair and Balanced Pays Well!

TexasTiger

Fox News Pays For DeLay Air Time

11/3/2005 3:07:42 PM

Rep. Tom DeLay filed a report with the Clerk of the House of Representatives indicating he received free travel valued at $13,998.55 from Fox News Sunday for "officially connected travel" on October 1-2, 2005, from Sugarland, TX to Washington, D.C. and back to Sugarland, TX. Rep. DeLay appeared on Fox News Sunday on October 2, 2005, the weekend after his indictment on September 28, 2005.

http://politicalmoneyline.com/

It really is tough being a highly paid, well connected, successful Conservative. :big:

Now, you've gone off the deep end! READ, if you can, what the blurb says. Tom DeLay reported, as he is required to do, the travel provided him by Fox to appear on their program. There is NOTHING in the article that says he was PAID anything. It looks like Mr. DeLay was being very careful reporting the value, as anyone who has travelled knows that even first class from DFW to DC is about one-tenth what he reported. Maybe he was flown on a private charter or on Fox News' private plane; that would account for the high value, I suppose.

NOW, why don't you report on all the free travel, and its purpose, accepted by the Demoncratic members of congress. You know that 80% of it wouldn't be as legitimate as to appear on a news program.

Bush won, Kerry lost, GET OVER IT!!!

Now, you've gone off the deep end!  READ, if you can, what the blurb says.  Tom DeLay reported, as he is required to do, the travel provided him by Fox to appear on their program.  There is NOTHING in the article that says he was PAID anything.  It looks like Mr. DeLay was being very careful reporting the value, as anyone who has travelled knows that even first class from DFW to DC is about one-tenth what he reported.  Maybe he was flown on a private charter or on Fox News' private plane; that would account for the high value, I suppose.

NOW, why don't you report on all the free travel, and its purpose, accepted by the Demoncratic members of congress.  You know that 80% of it wouldn't be as legitimate as to appear on a news program.

194966[/snapback]

I never said he was paid in cash. But I would like to know exactly what "travel costs" this included. And it's not like they flew him to be a commentator somewhere in the world he wouldn't otherwise go. D.C. for the weekend? For an interview? What about a satellite hook-up? People interview politicians remotely all the time. How many times did he appear an on what shows? Appearing on the shows was a key part of his "media strategy." If you think this is routine, I think you are fooling yourself.

What about a satellite hook-up? People interview politicians remotely all the time. How many times did he appear an on what shows? Appearing on the shows was a key part of his "media strategy." If you think this is routine, I think you are foolin

You start your own news channel, then you do things the way you want. FOX is dominating the field, so I think they have a clue about how this business works.

Now, you've gone off the deep end!  READ, if you can, what the blurb says.  Tom DeLay reported, as he is required to do, the travel provided him by Fox to appear on their program.  There is NOTHING in the article that says he was PAID anything.  It looks like Mr. DeLay was being very careful reporting the value, as anyone who has travelled knows that even first class from DFW to DC is about one-tenth what he reported.  Maybe he was flown on a private charter or on Fox News' private plane; that would account for the high value, I suppose.

NOW, why don't you report on all the free travel, and its purpose, accepted by the Demoncratic members of congress.  You know that 80% of it wouldn't be as legitimate as to appear on a news program.

194966[/snapback]

I never said he was paid in cash. But I would like to know exactly what "travel costs" this included. And it's not like they flew him to be a commentator somewhere in the world he wouldn't otherwise go. D.C. for the weekend? For an interview? What about a satellite hook-up? People interview politicians remotely all the time. How many times did he appear an on what shows? Appearing on the shows was a key part of his "media strategy." If you think this is routine, I think you are fooling yourself.

194971[/snapback]

this is typical behavior of a "journalist" these days....... to speculate, to inject doubt in people's minds......like Rove hasn't been charged,but by God.. should he?

This is the new journalism

Delay, the Rookie....Meet the HAZEL O'LEARY WORLD TOUR!

Link to the Hazel O'Leary Pimp-mo-Jet story...

According to Brett Coulson, an aide to Rep. Martin Hoke (R-Ohio), the T-shirts were to have been printed at taxpayer expense and then distributed to O'Leary's traveling companions, both government employees and captains of American industry. An Energy Department employee created the design last summer, but the project was called off after news of the T-shirts leaked out.

But, thanks to Hoke, it's still a sore subject in the secretary's office.

And the T-shirt design is the least of O'Leary's problems. House Republicans, led by Hoke, launched a full-scale investigation of the secretary's apparent wanderlust and her penchant for traveling in style. O'Leary has taken more than 100 foreign and domestic trips, and on three of her trade missions she used a luxury charter jet once favored by rock star Madonna(Pimp-mo-Jet). O'Leary spent a whopping $2.6 million on her missions to China, Pakistan, India and South Africa; to cover the cost the Department of Energy (DOE) shifted funding from one account to another. She's also traveled to Paris, St. Petersburg, Vienna and Florence.

A U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO) report issued last December--requested, incidentally, by Hoke--found that DOE officials had no records for some $80,000 of DOE's $730,000 in expenditures for the India trip. The report also found that the department picked up at least part of the tab for business executives and nonfederal government employees who traveled with O'Leary.

I rest my case. :yes:

According to Brett Coulson, an aide to Rep. Martin Hoke (R-Ohio), the T-shirts were to have been printed at taxpayer expense and then distributed to O'Leary's traveling companions, both government employees and captains of American industry. An Energy Department employee created the design last summer, but the project was called off after news of the T-shirts leaked out.

And the T-shirt design is the least of O'Leary's problems. House Republicans, led by Hoke, launched a full-scale investigation of the secretary's apparent wanderlust and her penchant for traveling in style. O'Leary has taken more than 100 foreign and domestic trips, and on three of her trade missions she used a luxury charter jet once favored by rock star Madonna(Pimp-mo-Jet). O'Leary spent a whopping $2.6 million on her missions to China, Pakistan, India and South Africa; to cover the cost the Department of Energy (DOE) shifted funding from one account to another. She's also traveled to Paris, St. Petersburg, Vienna and Florence.

A U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO) report issued last December--requested, incidentally, by Hoke--found that DOE officials had no records for some $80,000 of DOE's $730,000 in expenditures for the India trip. The report also found that the department picked up at least part of the tab for business executives and nonfederal government employees who traveled with O'Leary.

195067[/snapback]

And what "case" are you so smugly resting? That 10 years ago Hazel O'Leary spent too much on travel and effectively, as it should be, ended her career in government? Who's arguing with you? You'll do anything to diminish, excuse and deflect attention from your Masters' conduct.

See the difference? I don't excuse the Dem behavior, even when you reach way back in time just to try to change the subject.

195067[/snapback]

And what "case" are you so smugly resting? That 10 years ago Hazel O'Leary spent too much on travel and effectively, as it should be, ended her career in government? Who's arguing with you? You'll do anything to diminish, excuse and deflect attention from your Masters' conduct.

See the difference? I don't excuse the Dem behavior, even when you reach way back in time just to try to change the subject.

195106[/snapback]

But the differnce is that when it HAPPENED the Dems fought tooth and nail to save her job while she was pissing away millions. Delay just got a FREE jet ride and we are to be upset? NO, I am more upset at thew jet rides by HO and her entourage that cost US millions and were defended day and night by the Clinton Adm.

There was something brought up several months ago about Nancy Pelosi and travel and/or contributions of lobbyists. What ever came of that?

... If you think this is routine, I think you are fooling yourself.

194971[/snapback]

Apparently, this is a fairly routine practice of Congress persons accepting private funding for travel. I guess you could call it one of the perks of the gravy trai-- er ... I mean "job." From the same web site:

MEMBERS RECEIVING THE MOST GIFTS OF TRAVEL

During the last five and a quarter years the ranking of Members receiving privately-funded trips

Member of Congress  Amount 

1. SENSENBRENNER, F JAMES JR $179,814

2. GREEN, RAYMOND E. 'GENE' $175,942

3. WEXLER, ROBERT $174,764

4. BAYH, EVAN $169,394

5. BREAUX, JOHN B $162,496

6. ROGERS, HAROLD DALLAS $161,615

7. ENGLISH, PHILIP S $160,833

8. BOEHNER, JOHN A $157,604

9. MCDERMOTT, JAMES A $156,465

10. CLYBURN, JAMES E $152,835

11. MILLER, GEORGE $152,699

12. DOOLEY, CALVIN M $148,858

13. HINCHEY, MAURICE D $148,782

14. LUGAR, RICHARD G $148,613

15. WATERS, MAXINE $148,018 

Not that it makes any difference which party is doing it, but for the record: the top private funds for travel receiver, Sensenbrenner, is Republican. Also, of the top 15 on this list, 10 are Democrats.

Thomas Dale Delay is 37th on the list at $94,568. (What a piker. And he was supposedly in a leadership position, too. :P )

what's wrong w/ Fox paying for a guest to come and be interviewed?

is it the SIZE of the travel cost that strikes you as newsworthy?

195806[/snapback]

Don't you think it's the fact that it was FOX and a Republican?

Hey TT, has FOX NEWS ever paid travel expenses for any of the dems?

Archived