Harold Hallman has passed away

DKW 86

Complications from an aneurism surgery.

I knew Harold as a Marine in the NROTC Unit at Auburn. He was very dedicated and very hard working. He was one of the best d-linemen ever to wear the orange and blue and deeply loved by CPD, the Marines, myself and many others. How he ever kept up with CPD training and the Drill activities I will never know.

AUNation sends its condolences to his family and will try and send flowers/donations for our friend.

It is now a blue Christmas at my house. :bawling:

Wow. I just shook hands with him a couple of years back when he and several other Auburn greats were up in Nashville filming that Auburn Football Legends video. Young guy. Very sad. Prayers go out to his family.

Holy crap! That just ain't right. We were at Auburn at the same time. Just damn. My condolences to his family and friends. When he was in his Marine uniform, he looked like the baddest MF on the planet.

It don't make no damn sense. :no:

WDE, Harold! :thumbsup:

From ITAT, Article on Hallman in 1985 Program.

Here's an article about him from the '85 program:

HAROLD HALLMAN

by Avivi Osborne

Five years ago, Auburn nose guard Harold Hallman was a hidden treasure. He was headed for Jacksonville State University because he wasn't recruited by any major college. But one night in his hometown of Macon, Ga., things took a drastic turn.

"One Night I was at a touchdown club meeting where I was receiving the Athlete-of-the-Year Award," says Hallman. "I had already signed a grant-in-aid with Jacksonville State, but Coach Dye, Coach Callaway and Coach Orgel were there and they offered me a scholarship that night. It was a dream come true. Since then I've always wanted to make other schools wish they had recruited me."

He has accomplished that goal. Hallman was a second team ALL-SEC selection last season and was a pre-season All-SEC pick this year. Last year he was Auburn's third leading tackler and was named AP SEC Defensive Lineman-of-the-Week for his performance against Ole Miss.

"I didn't think I played that well against Ole Miss," says Hallman, "but I made some big plays. The Florida State game last year had to be my most memorable game. I made 17 tackles and played 86 snaps. I've never been that tired in my whole life."

Even though Hallman is such a natural and dominating force at nose guard he had trouble identifying with a position when he got to Auburn. He began playing linebacker, then moved to defensive end, then center, and eventually he wound up at nose guard-a position he feels comfortable with now.

"Nose guard is a physical position, and you wind up at the bottom of the pile much of the time," explains Hallman. "When I hurt my ankle and wasn't able to start the Florida State game this year, the guy who was supposed to start for me kept hoping I would get better so he wouldn't have to play nose guard. I just told him 'What you choose to call hell, I call home."

Hallman has had another home here at Auburn besides the football field. He has been involved with the Marine ROTC program for the past few years, and he believes that it has been a positive influence on his life.

"The Marine program has helped me more than anything else," says Hallman. "They require and expect a lot from you. They watch your progress thoroughly, and that is a motivating factor."

Another motivating factor in his life has been the people who are close to him. When he was growing up his mother and father played an important role in forming the positive attitude he has about himself.

"My mother and father always stressed to my twin sister and me to be the best that we can be. Even if it's digging ditches, then be the best ditch-digger you are capable of being."

"Someone else that has helped me through the hard times is my fiancee, Okneco. Whenever I got down, she just kept encouraging me not to quit."

Hallman has thought about the prospect of playing pro ball when this season is over, but he's "not counting on it." He is, however, counting on being associated with athletics for a long time after he leaves Auburn.

"The kind of people you meet who are associated with athletics are motivated, goal-oriented people," says Hallman. "The people here at Auburn have made this the best five years of my life. It has just been awesome. Being around the guys here at the dorm and on campus makes me realize that you are only as good as the people you hang around with. The people I have been around at Auburn have motivated me to be successful and to be a better person."

Many people don't think they come much better than Harold Hallman, on or off the field.

He was a MAN among men. We are blessed that he passed our way. He was all that Auburn should be about. My prayers to his family and friends.

p.s. Harold, please tell Jim and Coach Jordan we said "Hi". :au:

What a shock. I met Harold during my grad internship with the football strength and conditioning program. He was a great guy and super strong. Does anyone have any more info to include cause and arrangements? I want to pass it along to my now brother-in-law and then strength coach for :au: , Paul White. Christmas has lost more of it's joy for me this year.

Hey Harold tell my mom about the time we took Reggie Ware fishing.

Very sad...condolences to the family.

:au::homer:

Archived