Egg on Bammer Faces

Proud Tiger

After the TH press conference and hat tricks yesterday, the bammer boards were full of posts critical of his behavior and saying no future bama player had ever done such a classless thing. Then someone pointed out that Shaun Alexander and Brodie had and the silence was deafening. :big:

I really don't care for the "hat trick" thing when these guys make their decisions. I think it is sort of like thumbing your nose at an institution that has spent a lot of money and gone out of their way to make you feel welcome.

That said, we are talking about 18 year old kids. They are trying to get their 15 minutes before they sign that LOI and become just another player. For TH, the party ended when he made that anouncement. He now has to look forward to 6:00AM workouts with Coach Yox all summer just like the rest of them.

Still, I'll love to see :ua: get PUNK'D!!!

Congrats on TH. He will be a good one

But I myself am getting VERY tired of the way these kids are announcing and how they go about it.

And just before someone thinks I am picking on Tim Hawthorne, I will use our own recruit Na Derris Ward as someone who had a conference and did his thing and whatnot.

I think recruiting is getting a bit too extreme

I agree with Slink, it is becoming tiresome. It is nothing new, it has been going on for quite a few years now. But these kids (and that's what they are) have grown up seeing the older kids do in on the local news and many times on ESPN. I remember Carnell doing it. I also remember Brodie Croyle & Shaun Alexander doing it (the hat thing that is).

I will say this: I watched the video on TH and he didn't do the switcheroo with the hats. He had caps from bammer, UGA, SC and Louisville (?) on the table. He walked over to the podium and thanked some people, then said he'd made his decision to go to...

He then walked to the table and pulled a box out from under it and put on the Auburn hat and jersey that was in the box.

Granted, that's more theatrics than I'm into. But there wasn't the old reaching for one hat, pick up another, then put it down to grab the one you're going with crapola I've seen others do.

Heck, I'm still trying to get used to the concept of a high school kid calling a press conference and everyone hanging on his every word...and hat switch. <_<

Oh well. I have no doubt that much of this is strongly encouraged by those at the recruiting sites and media folks like Countdown that make their living off keeping people guessing up til' the last minute. It's become made-for-TV drama and these kids are eating it up. I wonder how I would have handled it at 17 years old. Wait, I'm white, not very fast, can't jump a lick and have an arm like Sponge Bob. Guess I'd never knew. :D

It is obnoxious for these kids to make such a production out of it. Sure, they had good high school careers and have a ton of potential, but we all know lots of people never reach their potential...and even if they do turn into the best player in the country, they STILL should not disrespect other schools and make such a scene.

That being said, these are just kids and I don't think they really mean any harm. And we certainly bear a lot of the responsibility. After all, if no one paid any attention to them, then they would not have the chance to do it. If we were not all waiting breathlessly to see what his decision was then the news and TV folks would not cover the story.

All drama aside, at the end of the day I'm sure glad Hawthorne chose Auburn! :cheer:

The kills me that the Bammers were acting all high and mighty saying their guys never acted like that. :roflol::roflol:

Looks like we all agree that the press conference thing, etc., is out of hand. I wasn't supporting TH doing it, just pointing out the hypocracy of some saying "our commits never do it." Like it or not we are really as guilty as the kids themselves. If we weren't glued to them making their decisions, a lot of the theatrics would go away. Thousands were tied into boards yesterday to see where TH would go.

The kills me that the Bammers were acting all high and mighty saying their guys never acted like that.  :roflol:   :roflol:

216228[/snapback]

When have the Bammers ever not acted high and mighty? :big:

I'm not a big fan of the hat trick and all that but I won't condemn anything that messes with bammers heads. To bammers a black AU commit is automatically a thug.

Dont blame the kids, blame the media.... If it weren't for the hooplah and the media circus, these athletes would never approach the situation like they do.

I agree, once again(This is getting very odd), with slink. The "times" we live in are reflected in this type behavior. Why not just say "I pick so and so" and move on?

I say let 'em have all the fun they want.....they soon will become the personal property of Yox :moon:

Dont blame the kids, blame the media....  If it weren't for the hooplah and the media circus, these athletes would never approach the situation like they do.

216381[/snapback]

I don't think there really should be one person or group to blame.

I hate the press conferences in general but you know what, a friend of mine who went to a D1 school did a press conference so maybe I am just being a bit too hard on press conferences.

What seems to bother me is the arrogence and superior attitudes some of these kids have in the way they do this. Not really the way they do their choice but the way they go about the conferences and choices.

Stefon Johnson was on ESPNews announcing his choice between USC, UGA, and Washington and it was only on for 30 seconds and he sounded like an idiot...I know, I know...I am not supposed to say that about someone specifically but he really did...I just don't get why ESPN thought it was worthy news to be put on.

I just don't see it.

To use a UGA recruit, I remember Fred Gibson (my boy who I sat next to in class) committed to UF 4 years ago then went back to UGA on signing day just to "shock" people. Why "shock" people? Does it give them a better feeling about themself?

I am only 23 too so it isnt like I am a old-school fan. I get excited about kids coming to UGA but for god's sakes...show some class while doing it.

Actual transcript from November 2, 2005.

"I want to thank everybody for coming out today and for everyone who helped me with this process. It has been a long process, but today I want to let everybody know that I am going to join (pulls ITAT hat from bag) the forum that best suits my posting material (puts ITAT hat back and pulls out woopig hat). I struggled with my decision, but ultimately I have chosen to post with AUNation (throws woopig hat down and puts on AUN hat). Thanks again for coming."

(Mass cheers, David, David, David)

I guess you all missed that one from me...

Actual transcript from November 2, 2005.

"I want to thank everybody for coming out today and for everyone who helped me with this process.  It has been a long process, but today I want to let everybody know that I am going to join (pulls ITAT hat from bag) the forum that best suits my posting material (puts ITAT hat back and pulls out woopig hat).  I struggled with my decision, but ultimately I have chosen to post with AUNation (throws woopig hat down and puts on AUN hat).  Thanks again for coming."

(Mass cheers, David, David, David)

I guess you all missed that one from me...

216408[/snapback]

In my case I committed to Rivals for a while but took an official to AUN and never looked back. :big::big::big:

I guess there are worse things that a recruit can do besides the "hat trick".. slink if you remember last year a linebacker recruit from uga was cheating on a exam during the summer using his cell phone and he was approached by the student aid about his cell phone........and she grabbed it and he grabbed her arm and twisted until she gave up the cell phone..................so i guess assalt charges could be worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moon:

Jumbo, did you ever bother to actually keep up with what actually happened?

Cheating charges were dropped because they could never prove it. He apparently grabbed her wrist and not her arm. He simply stopped her from approaching him then let the wrist go.

Amazing how these things spread, isn't it?

The scared Teacher Assistant dropped the assalt charges that were filed.........maybe from pressure from the school????????? when a 220lb linbacker grabs a 105 lb teachers arm or wrist in a defensive manner thats going to be more than just stopping someone from grabbing a cell phone.........dont you agree?

Jumbo, did you ever bother to actually keep up with what actually happened?

Cheating charges were dropped because they could never prove it. He apparently grabbed her wrist and not her arm. He simply stopped her from approaching him then let the wrist go.

Amazing how these things spread, isn't it?

216579[/snapback]

The scared Teacher Assistant dropped the assalt charges that were filed.........maybe from pressure from the school?????????

Maybe their was no case and the initial claims were exaggerated

Slink, please just admit that this signee was in the wrong cheating and assault come on take of those bulldog glasses and come back to the real world where everyone is not perfect even if they sign with UGA :poke:

Slink, please just admit that this signee was in the wrong cheating

Why? Because you can't prove he did and want to believe?

I don't think he was cheating at all.

This story is fine, imo, because it is one of those internet stories that get told then told to a friend and then a friend and then a friend and than it is 10x worse than what actually happened

Archived