How Many Can We Sign?

AUesquire

I've been reading all season anywhere from 19-21 available slots. Right now, it looks like we have 25 LOI's and a possibility of Mullins signing as well. What is our actual number of available schollys and who is not expected to make it immediately?

I've read that Raven Gray and someone on the board mentioned Chris Slaughter as possible sign and place guys.

There are always x number of players coaches either suspect or know won't qualify academically, but recruit them and send them off to JUCO in the hopes they resign with the school they commited to originally. At least i think that's how it all works.

Yes, because there is no Shug Jordan Trust Fund Scholarship in place as of yet.

216799[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Okay, I'm dealing out of partial ignorance here, but isn't there an NCAA imposed 25 scholly limit per year with a max active scholly limit of 85?

If that is true, or close, then by signing a "letter of intent," the student athelete is not being guaranteed an immediate scholarship. :om: signs 28 or more, but by a certain time (?) they have to decide on which 25 or less that they are going to give schollies too.

The leftovers are placed in JUCO or other such school where they will play ball and get some softball classes to qualify them to move to :om: later. These cats are "grayshirts." (?) I assume the university places them (at the commits expense - or do they arrange for the JUCO to give the commit a scholly there?) in a school that has a football philosophy similar to the university. They get on the job training while polishing their GPAs.

If the grayshirt does good then in a year or two, the university offers them their scholly for real. At that time the grayshirt can use the scholly or sign with another team. When that grayshirt signs, he counts against that year's 25 scholly limit.

Am I close on how this works? It's confusing to me.

That sounds right to me, but I am far from an expert.

The grayshirt if I am correct, can actually sign on during that year's football season as long as they aren't at the max 85 limit. That is what Shiela was doing the last couple of years to build up his scholly overall totals.

After Shrek ran off half his team last year, my guess is that he could possibly have signed as many as 40 this year and grayshirted 20 of them if he could find that many willing bodies and if there is no limit on grayshirts.

Archived