Spring depth chart & schedule

quietfan

i'm not saying they aren't actually trying this. but remember these moves: tre smith to safety, tristan davis to tailback, anthony mix to tight end... there are more. tubby loves moving guys around to get interesting skill sets at a position (like little fast guys at linebacker). i'm just saying i think this is more in the ilk of those moves (the ones that don't stick) than it is in the tavaris robinson direction (only this senior year at safety, great move). only time will tell.

and i guarantee you it's a motivating to will to lose his position after three years, and i bet it's lit a fire up tristan's butt to move from 4th string to 1st. the defense needed to be shaken awake, and maybe all these changes stick and work and we dominate. i'm just saying i won't be complaining if all this does is wake some of our guys up after the end of last season.

just read this, it pretty much sums up what i was saying about this as an experiment:

Tuberville said he thinks Herring is better suited to play middle linebacker, freeing up Eric Brock to start at strong safety and Tristan Davis to start at free safety. That is, at least, the spring practice plan for Herring.

``I'm not counting out that we might move him back," Tuberville said. ``That's going to be an experiment. It will give us an opportunity to look at some young guys in the secondary."

If Brock, Davis and Lorenzo Ferguson don't impress, Tuberville said he's willing to move Herring back. Herring, for his part, seemed resigned to the move Tuesday, though he's never played linebacker, even when he was in high school.

``It's spring training, so it's time for experimenting, testing things out," Herring said. ``I'm excited about it."

link: http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...0540.xml&coll=2

I believe Herring will be at LB this fall, and I'm excited about TD at safety. Home-boy is FAST! Imagine his returns after an INT. War Damn Eagle!

221489[/snapback]

That was my first thought as well. What was his average per carry when he played tailback last fall? I wouldn't mind seeing a few interception runbacks for TD's this year!

Based on this depth chart, my big concerns would be lack of depth on the lines. All of the defensive tackles are undersized, and we have practically no experienced depth on the OL. With 12 consecutive games this could be a real issue. Of course Smith should help immediately at DT, and Tilley, Ricks, and Berry are coming in with enough size to help add depth.

that list is bunk. no way on earth, that will herring got moved before spring ever started, and even less chance that he'd be moved to a new spot and listed as an immediate starter over a guy who has around 13 starts for his career at the same spot. that's a joke.

221418[/snapback]

I knew Herring was moving to LB in January. Before Gibbs left even.

Based on this depth chart, my big concerns would be lack of depth on the lines.  All of the defensive tackles are undersized, and we have practically no experienced depth on the OL.  With 12 consecutive games this could be a real issue.  Of course Smith should help immediately at DT, and Tilley, Ricks, and Berry are coming in with enough size to help add depth.

221903[/snapback]

I think we're pretty solid experience-wise in the inner offensive line. We have five solid seniors in the three slots between guards. Tackles may be a different story, but my gosh, when you've had King Kong and Godzilla holding down the tackle spots for the last three years, there hasn't been much chance or reason for others to get much experience in those positions. I think King Dunlap and Leon Hart have all the tools to become great in those spots and expect big things from both, but I agree experience, particularly with Leon Hart, might be a probelm.

I hope this fall's seniors have a great year. They have the chance to become the second class in a row to have never lost to Bama! Won't that be great! Of course, a good way to start would be to win their first game and not be a class that never won its season opener. :(

I'm excited about some of the new names moving to the front of the chart.. I only started following recruiting closely about 3-4 years ago. It's great to see those early recruits' names that I remember coming into their own as juniors & seniors.

Or maybe it's just that I've come to feel confident about CTT's ability to reload every year. Instead of worrying about who graduated and left, I get excited wondering who the big surprises are going to be next year. Seems like every time a great one graduates, another great one is right behind him.

We haven't been without an all-star running back since Rudi Johnson. When K. Dansby & D. Thomas left, our linebacking personality/style had to change a little bit, but our LB's took us to 13-0 the next season. When Ronnie and Carnell graduated, CAB had to re-tune the offense for more of a single running back style but our O got even more productive. Lose Campbell? Call in Brandon Cox. Last year the tackles were sort of the o-line anchors that held the middle of the line steady, even when our center went down. Maybe this year the center of the line will be the rocks that anchor the tackles while they mature? If nothing else, CTT has proven that he can reload with best of 'em.

Guest Tigrinum Major

If I had to choose, a returning center and guards with freshmen tackles would be my choice over the reverse situation.

Case in point: B.J. Closner goes down to injury, Croyle goes down to many LSU and Auburn defenders. The center is the rock of the line.

I hope this fall's seniors have a great year. They have the chance to become the second class in a row to have never lost to Bama! Won't that be great! Of course, a good way to start would be to win their first game and not be a class that never won its season opener. sad.gif

Maybe I'm wrong but, uh, we went undefeated in 2004, meaning that we won our season opener. :)

If I had to choose, a returning center and guards with freshmen tackles would be my choice over the reverse situation. 

Case in point:  B.J. Closner goes down to injury, Croyle goes down to many LSU and Auburn defenders.  The center is the rock of the line.

222158[/snapback]

An experienced center is a benefit, and experienced interior lineman will help with the inside running game, but experienced tackles are usually more important in pass protection. The interior lineman often help each other in pass protection, while the tackles are usually all alone with a DE. With that said, I think experienced tackles would be at least as important as an experienced center.

I hope this fall's seniors have a great year. They have the chance to become the second class in a row to have never lost to Bama! Won't that be great! Of course, a good way to start would be to win their first game and not be a class that never won its season opener. sad.gif

Maybe I'm wrong but, uh, we went undefeated in 2004, meaning that we won our season opener. :)

222161[/snapback]

D'uh! :blink: Boy do I feel stupid! I was thinking about losing to USC twice in a row to open, then Ga Tech last year. My (ridiculously stupid) bad.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Case in point:  B.J. Closner goes down to injury, Croyle goes down to many LSU and Auburn defenders.  The center is the rock of the line.

222158[/snapback]

An experienced center is a benefit, and experienced interior lineman will help with the inside running game, but experienced tackles are usually more important in pass protection. The interior lineman often help each other in pass protection, while the tackles are usually all alone with a DE. With that said, I think experienced tackles would be at least as important as an experienced center.

222196[/snapback]

Physical skills are important at the tackle position, while the center and guard must be more concerned with schemes and assignments. Kind of like the difference between RBs and QBs. Not to say one has to be more cerebral (everyone that play major college ball has to have some degree of football knowledge about them) than the other, but one can get by on more of the physical skill sets (RBs and Ts) than the other.

222161[/snapback]

D'uh! :blink: Boy do I feel stupid! I was thinking about losing to USC twice in a row to open, then Ga Tech last year. My (ridiculously stupid) bad.

222201[/snapback]

I forgive you :big:

Archived