Spring depth chart & schedule

quietfan

For those interested, here's a link to the spring depth chart going into practice on Feb. 28:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf...rces/depth.html

Also a spring practice schedule (go down to the Feb. 15th entry in the blog):

http://www.al.com/weblogs/tigers/index.ssf..._02.html#113055

One more thing...looking at the starting WRs:

Robert Dunn

Prechae Rodriguez

Courtney Taylor

I'm thinking those are gonna be a group of some exciting playmakers B)

Is an "F-back" a mix between a fullback and a tailback?

220733[/snapback]

It's a buckfama bama back, like Trey Smith a couple of years ago at JH-West. :big:

quietfan.......thanks for posting. I guess there will be changes by the season opener bnut a few comments:

--we gotta get that Tate dude a number :big:

--wonder if Tre Smith will stick with another season. He isn't even on the punt return list.

--hope Tony Bell decides to stay. His loss would hurt at safety.

--hope we get more depth at NG or Tez Dolittle decides he really wants to play.

--wish we could get some weight on those LBs. Otherwise teams are going to take advantage of us lile Wisconsin did.

Guest Tigrinum Major

220733[/snapback]

Slot back. Also called an H back in other systems.

220733[/snapback]

A position created by Borges for Ronnie Brown. It basically a non-traditional fullback. More ofset formations, more pro formations, more motion from the f-back position into a split end alignment.

Borges created it in order to get Ronnie and Carnell on the field more together at the same time. It is very similar to what the H-back is for Joe Gibbs in Washington except that the H-back is more of a TE/FB hybrid. Still, it is the same concept. One player who can move all over the place and cause assignemnt problems for the defense.

220733[/snapback]

Slot back. Also called an H back in other systems.

220769[/snapback]

Sorry, didn't see that you also had diven a response!

I don't remember hearing that Anthony Campbell had moved to WR. Maybe he will make an impact there, as it seemed very crowded in the defensive backfield.

For some reason, I am thinking Robert Dunn is going to have a breakout season this year. Everyone will be keying on Courtney Taylor and if they put Dunn on the other side of the field in the slot position, I could see some serious lanes open for him.

I know we have BIG Greg Smith coming in and he should make an immediate impact. With Josh Thompson and Smith on the inside, that will give us two legit 300 pounders to plug the middle. I'm still a little concerned about our depth, especially with regard to size, at that position. An injury could deplete that slot in a hurry. As Proud said, I hope Tez decides he wants to step up and get some serious minutes in the rotation.

And, if Pat Sims does the same, we'll be fine in the middle.

Almost anyone who keeps up with AU football could put together a more accurate version of the projected depth chart than that posted in the link. Today's "journalists" seem to write before they research and the results are often poor in quality. They count on the fact that the vast majority of their readers are even more "in the dark" than they are and don't realize that they look like morons to those who know the subject.

Seems to have been revised; Herring at Sam Linebacker, Tristan Davis at FS. Dunn could possibly have a great season but he just looks so slim, to say the least, to be a dominating force, IMHO.

Herring 6-4 215, Coach Yox must have beefed him up. I will say I would like to see what TD can do for our secondary.

that list is bunk. no way on earth, that will herring got moved before spring ever started, and even less chance that he'd be moved to a new spot and listed as an immediate starter over a guy who has around 13 starts for his career at the same spot. that's a joke.

tony bell behind blake shrader? right.

chris browder, who plays dend every down except third and long, the starting tackle at a sopping wet 250? right.

tristan davis, he of tailback and 4th string safety fame, now a starter without the new defensive coordinator seeing him play a down? right.

needless to say, i don't believe any of this.

that list is bunk. no way on earth, that will herring got moved before spring ever started, and even less chance that he'd be moved to a new spot and listed as an immediate starter over a guy who has around 13 starts for his career at the same spot. that's a joke.

tony bell behind blake shrader? right.

chris browder, who plays dend every down except third and long, the starting tackle at a sopping wet 250? right.

tristan davis, he of tailback and 4th string safety fame, now a starter without the new defensive coordinator seeing him play a down? right.

needless to say, i don't believe any of this.

221418[/snapback]

The actual depth chart at this point isn't of much importance, however, those moves DID happen. Herring IS a LB now.

Herring is a Sam linebacker now, and I would put Tristan at starting Free safety. That kid is fast as lightning and can make plays. Tony Bell from what I understand is as good as gone. The guy that Herring is listed over (Sears) is probably moving to mike.

What suprised me, is the Tray Blackmon/Merrill Johnson Will Linebacker spot. I'll be real suprised if Tray isn't starting in the fall. All in all this looks like a pretty good place to start the spring. DT will fill in, and our secondary will firm up after a spring.

Looking good for :au::cheer:

I believe in AUesquire's thread about Coach Gran, he said don't be suprised to see Tristan as starting Safety. Found it.

Linky Do

I don't like the idea of more inexperience in the secondary, but I do like the idea of Herring adding experience to the LB core, which only has 2 guy (Dede and Sears) returning with any formidable experience. With Herring's tackling ability and run attack instincts, not to mention the added speed. With TD's speed he could probably cover up a lot of mistakes, b/c he could make up the lost ground so fast.

There have been rumors ever since last year about Will playing LB, this didnt surprise me at all. He is a leader of the defense and now that he is at LB he can really step up and lead our defense more than he ever could. Im kinda excited about this, i mean, im not racist, but when was the last time we had a white guy playin LB?

alex lincoln for us. not that long ago.

and i very seriously doubt that kevin is moving inside when dede was the backup there last year (in addition to his duties as starting on the strongside) and the coaches raved last year about his ability to play inside and out.

i'm not saying will isn't going to get an audition at linebacker. i'm just saying it's not gonna stick. our worst defensive spot last year was the "other" safety. herring was all-conference while whomever manned that other spot was so consistently poor that the position ended up looking like a turnstile while we were forced to play nickel and leave kevin hobbs on the field more and more and more. like i said, it's a bunk move, and i bet herring starts in the back by the beginning of the year.

they can put this list out and they can stand by it for now... i'm just saying i'm not buying what they're selling. a lot of stuff gets put out to get under certain player's skin and motivate them from time to time. that's what this looks like to me.

they can put this list out and they can stand by it for now... i'm just saying i'm not buying what they're selling. a lot of stuff gets put out to get under certain player's skin and motivate them from time to time. that's what this looks like to me.

221454[/snapback]

Sorry, but it doesn't look like that is the case in this situation. These aren't rumours, this was straight from CTT's mouth in today's press conference. Scout and Rivals already have interviews up with Herring about his switch to LB. It looks pretty valid to me, as I doubt we'd go through all this trouble to "motivate" a couple guys. I dont see why its so out of question, we have a new D-Coordinator and a new LB coach, these guys have their own preferences and the move makes sense as Herring was always a "hit first" Safety that was only average in coverage.

Am I wrong or didn't I read talk of Jonathon Palmer considering coming out after last season? He really came on strong late last year and I'd love to see him get some good reps at center. Cope did a great job last year but I'm always scared when we don't have a backup at that position that has some experience. Especially as much as we go from the gun.

Archived