Bama QB's

quietfan

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere...5580.xml&coll=3

In Alabama football's second spring practice, held Saturday in the Crisp indoor facility due to persistent rain, the offense cut back drastically on the high number of interceptions it had the day before.

But another issue cropped up.

"I think we had three fumbled snaps, so we've got to get that right," Tide coach Mike Shula said.

"We cut down on the interceptions, but then we're giving it up on the snaps," offensive coordinator David Rader said.

One of the day's highlight plays happened to be an interception, however.

Of course they have a whole spring and fall camp to fix things, but I thought JPW & Co. were supposed to step in without missing a beat. These are the sort of turnovers that you usually have to lay at the QB's feet. Bama fans are kidding themselves if they don't think there's going to be a drop off at quarterback!

In Alabama football's second spring practice, held Saturday in the Crisp indoor facility due to persistent rain, the offense cut back drastically on the high number of interceptions it had the day before.

"I think we had three fumbled snaps, so we've got to get that right," Tide coach Mike Shula said.

"We cut down on the interceptions, but then we're giving it up on the snaps," offensive coordinator David Rader said.

Of course they have a whole spring and fall camp to fix things, but I thought JPW & Co. were supposed to step in without missing a beat. These are the sort of turnovers that you usually have to lay at the QB's feet. Bama fans are kidding themselves if they don't think there's going to be a drop off at quarterback!

222055[/snapback]

Too early to make those kind of arguments. Chances are this kid will be better than Brodie because he's not a stick figure and does have some mobility. Truth is, it wouldn't take much to be a better QB than Brodie. He was ineffective in meaningful games for his entire career.

It's funny to hear the Bama fans who in October were idly wondering who the kid would sit next to on the Heisman dais. Now they are "glad he is gone" and "the only reason he played was because of his daddy." UA is "better off without that whole bunch"

i think they'll be about the same place they were last year. brodie was further along on reading defenses than johnny walker wilson is, but wilson definitely has more mobility. he can save some plays they lost when stuff breaks down. and the arm strength looked about the same to me. i figure there won't be a drop off or a big leap... i'll leave it up to everyone else to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing for bama.

222055[/snapback]

Too early to make those kind of arguments. Chances are this kid will be better than Brodie because he's not a stick figure and does have some mobility. Truth is, it wouldn't take much to be a better QB than Brodie. He was ineffective in meaningful games for his entire career.

It's funny to hear the Bama fans who in October were idly wondering who the kid would sit next to on the Heisman dais. Now they are "glad he is gone" and "the only reason he played was because of his daddy." UA is "better off without that whole bunch"

222065[/snapback]

Geez, more Brodie bashing. Brodie wasn't a bad QB as you suggest, he never had anyone around him to help him out. Sure he folded up like a tent against LSU and us but up until that point I think the system, lack of reciever talent, and O-line are to blame. Put it this way, what is Jason Campbell without Borges' system? A guy who was ineffective in meaningful games and Jason had talent around him. Anyhow, you are right about the turd fans though. They can convince themselves of anything long enough to get back on the subject of "tha bahr."

222055[/snapback]

222065[/snapback]

Geez, more Brodie bashing. Brodie wasn't a bad QB as you suggest, he never had anyone around him to help him out. Sure he folded up like a tent against LSU and us but up until that point I think the system, lack of reciever talent, and O-line are to blame. Put it this way, what is Jason Campbell without Borges' system? A guy who was ineffective in meaningful games and Jason had talent around him. Anyhow, you are right about the turd fans though. They can convince themselves of anything long enough to get back on the subject of "tha bahr."

222155[/snapback]

Everybody's got their own opinion. I disagree with you completely in regard to both Brodie and Jason.

Jason was the most accurate QB in the SEC before Borges got there. Brodie was a great big puff of nothing his entire career. ZERO quality wins.

222055[/snapback]

222065[/snapback]

222155[/snapback]

Everybody's got their own opinion. I disagree with you completely in regard to both Brodie and Jason.

Jason was the most accurate QB in the SEC before Borges got there. Brodie was a great big puff of nothing his entire career. ZERO quality wins.

222160[/snapback]

I'm not saying that Brodie was a great qb or anything, but he wasn't bad. Jason was very accurate but, what had he done before Borges got there? Brodie beat UF this year pretty soundly. UF wasn't great this year but they weren't horrible either. If he would have had a better coordinator he had the arm to be a very good qb. However, that didn't happen. Brodie went with his heart and picked bama and his college career probably suffered for it.

Yeah, Jason had a great throwing % on those 3rd downs. He would always be good for 3 if you needed 5. Don't kid yourself & think Borges didn't help him a great deal.

Wow....the comments I'm seeing towards Jason are pretty lame. I always figured anyone with a lick of football knowledge would understand what Campbell went through. How many o. coord. was he under in his career?

When Jason was hot (see sophmore and senior years) it was because the offensive coord. at the time actually knew how to run an offense (Petrino/Borges). People were always complaining about the 3-5 yard outs that Jason would consistently throw, but did any of y'all ever figure out that it could've been the play calling?

Anyways, in response to Bama here....its just spring training. I'm sure Cox had his good and bad days going into spring training last year. Not too sure the offensive line will be any better this coming year, but we'll see. Seeing alot of hype about Andre Smith...but there are few linemen who start and actually dominate when they are true freshman. If Bama is smart (wow....ironic?) they will redshirt the guy.

Wait, UAT has a QB??

222179[/snapback]

Wait, UAT? Who's that? I know nothing of Bama, nor do I care what they do. They are a second rate SEC team. Let's not give them any press.

OBI

Guest Tigrinum Major
Seeing alot of hype about Andre Smith...but there are few linemen who start and actually dominate when they are true freshman.  If Bama is smart (wow....ironic?) they will redshirt the guy.

222181[/snapback]

Andre' Smith is better now than any OL playing last year for them, with the exception of Closner.

They do not have the luxury of redshirting him. Stabler will move inside and Smith will start at tackle on day one of fall drills.

Not that I care.

Wow....the comments I'm seeing towards Jason are pretty lame.  I always figured anyone with a lick of football knowledge would understand what Campbell went through.  How many o. coord. was he under in his career?

When Jason was hot (see sophmore and senior years) it was because the offensive coord. at the time actually knew how to run an offense (Petrino/Borges).  People were always complaining about the 3-5 yard outs that Jason would consistently throw, but did any of y'all ever figure out that it could've been the play calling?

Anyways, in response to Bama here....its just spring training.  I'm sure Cox had his good and bad days going into spring training last year.  Not too sure the offensive line will be any better this coming year, but we'll see.  Seeing alot of hype about Andre Smith...but there are few linemen who start and actually dominate when they are true freshman.  If Bama is smart (wow....ironic?) they will redshirt the guy.

222181[/snapback]

That was my point. Brodie never got off the ground because of a poor O coordinator with the worst play calling I've seen since the mazzone days here at AU. Jason couldn't produce under the "Nallminger." I wasn't bashing Jason, just stating the fact that you could have the best QB in the world but if you don't have a good OC he will be severely hampered by that.

No need to worry. I am certain the NEW coach uat got from VANDY will have everything straightened out, on both sides of the ball, in no time. ;)

With the line situation at uat, look for a lot of roll-outs this year from the more mobile Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson.

He will be able to buy time and stay off his a** more.

Wouldn't be surprised to see more option stuff with the roll-outs.

With the line situation at uat, look for a lot of roll-outs this year from the more mobile Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson.

222560[/snapback]

From the past 3 years of Shula's play calling, I doubt he has any option plays on his fancy laminated play sheet.

222560[/snapback]

From the past 3 years of Shula's play calling, I doubt he has any option plays on his fancy laminated play sheet.

222561[/snapback]

His daddy may though, but same difference I guess.

Guest Tigrinum Major

222560[/snapback]

222561[/snapback]

His daddy may though, but same difference I guess.

222575[/snapback]

The option really never caught on in the pro game (Holtz tried it with the Jets, but abandoned it when he saw Namath's knees), much like Urban Meyer's spread offense will not catch on in the SEC.

any time a team loses a 5th yr sr qb, who for the most part played in some of his games every year, there is going to be a drop off. unless they get their ol straightened out, it wont matter if they have me playing qb. and i'm as good a qb as tyler watts.

Seeing alot of hype about Andre Smith...but there are few linemen who start and actually dominate when they are true freshman.  If Bama is smart (wow....ironic?) they will redshirt the guy.

222181[/snapback]

Andre' Smith is better now than any OL playing last year for them, with the exception of Closner.

They do not have the luxury of redshirting him. Stabler will move inside and Smith will start at tackle on day one of fall drills.

Not that I care.

222219[/snapback]

While Smith will probably have a stellar career, I do not see how anyone can intelligently say that a kid who has played probably 90 percent of his career against kids who were not Division II quality players "is better now than any OL playing last year for (UAT)." The size and speed of the game and the competition are so much different. He may turn out to be great, but I find it hard to believe that come first practice in August he will be better than every other lineman in west Vance.

As if it matters, I also doubt that he will be listed as the starting offensive tackle on the opening depth chart for fall. I don't think that even Shula is that dumb.

222181[/snapback]

Not that I care.

222219[/snapback]

While Smith will probably have a stellar career, I do not see how anyone can intelligently say that a kid who has played probably 90 percent of his career against kids who were not Division II quality players "is better now than any OL playing last year for (UAT)." The size and speed of the game and the competition are so much different. He may turn out to be great, but I find it hard to believe that come first practice in August he will be better than every other lineman in west Vance.

As if it matters, I also doubt that he will be listed as the starting offensive tackle on the opening depth chart for fall. I don't think that even Shula is that dumb.

222635[/snapback]

Never under estimate flipper's stupidity. ;)

Guest Tigrinum Major
While Smith will probably have a stellar career, I do not see how anyone can intelligently say that a kid who has played probably 90 percent of his career against kids who were not Division II quality players "is better now than any OL playing last year for (UAT)."  The size and speed of the game and the competition are so much different.  He may turn out to be great, but I find it hard to believe that come first practice in August he will be better than every other lineman in west Vance.

As if it matters, I also doubt that he will be listed as the starting offensive tackle on the opening depth chart for fall.  I don't think that even Shula is that dumb.

222635[/snapback]

The kid is great. Great footwork and quickness for a guy that size. He is a natural. By the time he goes through a summer workout program at Bama, he will be the best OL they have on the campus.

You might not agree, but that doesn't make the opinion any less valid.

Yeah, Jason had a great throwing % on those 3rd downs. He would always be good for 3 if you needed 5. Don't kid yourself & think Borges didn't help him a great deal.

222167[/snapback]

No offense...but I always thought the WR's ran the routes...and that the problem was they didn't go past the sticks! No one doubts that Borges helped Jason...but even with 4, 1000 yard WR's, I still felt we never got the most out of those guys.

:au::homer:

Archived