Another Safety Gets a Look at LB

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

More Defensive Shuffling

Tigers give Gandy a try at linebacker

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - Sophomore Steve Gandy is still a free safety and junior Quentin Groves is still a defensive end, but both got some work at linebacker in Auburn's seventh workout of spring practice Monday.

With weakside linebacker Merrill Johnson out for the rest of spring with a high ankle sprain, Gandy got some looks behind redshirt freshman Tray Blackmon, currently No. 1 on the depth chart.

"He'll stay at safety, but we're going to move him up some to play a little bit of linebacker while Merrill is down," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "It's not that we're going to move him. We're just looking at him to give us more depth and him a little more work in the nickel defense."

Gandy was the starter at free safety for the second half of last season.

Groves is still the No. 1 weakside defensive end, but in some of first-year defensive coordinator Will Muschamp's schemes, he lines up at linebacker.

Groves moved from defensive end to linebacker for a short time as a true freshman before moving back to defensive end.

"It feels kind of awkward because I haven't really bent my hips and had to move that much, but I'm getting used to it," Groves said. "It's kind of old stomping grounds, so to say, but not as many responsibilities."

Emphasis on passing: The Tigers worked for two hours in full pads Monday and emphasized the passing game.

"Tomorrow we'll have a running practice, but today we wanted to throw the ball a little more," Tuberville said. "There was good enthusiasm. We had a little lack of attention early."

Injury report: Free safety Lorenzo Ferguson and tight end Gabe McKenzie missed Tuesday's practice. Ferguson, who has a bruised shoulder, is expected today. Tuberville said he hoped McKenzie, who has been out for more than a week, can return by Thursday.

Fullback Mike McLaughlin, who suffered a torn ACL in Saturday's scrimmage, is scheduled to have surgery today in Birmingham.

A-Day tickets: Because of construction at Jordan-Hare Stadium, only 10,000 tickets will be available for Auburn's A-Day game, set for March 18 at 1 p.m.

Gandy is very physical, and even though he is smaller I think he can make up for lack of size with being physical. Although I dont think he will be there during the season, just for spring practice. Groves can play any postion out there, if we needed a quaterback he could probly do a great job! haha

is he any smaller than blackmon? i was under the impression that tray was only 200 pounds, but maybe he's bigger now?

i always secretly wished we had left Q at middle linebacker like he played as a frosh. he's a beast at end, but i just like those fast, tall, bangers at linebacker.

is he any smaller than blackmon? i was under the impression that tray was only 200 pounds, but maybe he's bigger now?

i always secretly wished we had left Q at middle linebacker like he played as a frosh. he's a beast at end, but i just like those fast, tall, bangers at linebacker.

223961[/snapback]

Tray is 210 now.

Archived