Tuberville comments on his staff

StatTiger

Taken from an ESPN Insiders article...

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuberville has followed that same philosophy in putting together his staff.

"I don't hire guys just because they've been somewhere and won," he said. "We've been a blue-collar team, and that's the way it's always going to be. I want teachers on my staff and not guys who are going to try and live off talent.

"This has been a solid coaching staff. Is there a better one somewhere across the country? There might be. But there's not one that fits any better for the situation we're in."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember when Tuberville first arrived at Auburn, he once made the comment that he wanted his assistants to be good "recruiters" more than coaches. The above quote is just another reason why I believe Tuberville has grown and improved as our HFC over the last seven years.

As I mentioned in the "10wins/season Perspective" thread, if CTT keeps our program on the path he has it on now, he has a good chance becoming one of the greatest in SEC history. If he stays here until retirement and keeps going the way he is now, he might well join those Olympian heights of coaching legends like Steve Spurrier and that legendary "coach up the road". [And doing so with a much cleaner reputation than latter.. :) ]

While there is something to be said for loyalty, I think the biggest thing CTT has learned over the years is that in hiring assistants, loyalty has to take a back seat to talent and ability. It will be hard to keep people like Borges & Muschamp on board forever, but the biggest improvement I've seen in CTT's CEO talents is the ability to go out and find equally good assistants to replace those that move on. Much of Bear's success in his later career can be attributed to his hiring of great assistants, and CTT seems to have mastered that key ability now as well.

True enough about loyalty, and it also works both ways. That is one of the reasons that my respect for Nall has grown - he realized he wasn't getting the job done as OC, swallowed his pride and remained loyal to AU and CTT and went back to being a heck of an OL coach.

Archived