Dennis Dodd's Post Spring top 25

WarTiger

Link

Updated April 28

Alert the chat rooms. Fire up the message boards. It's here, the post-spring top 25.

We've taken the spring developments, thrown them in a Cuisinart and come up with this concoction.

1. Ohio State: News flash -- Psst, I've seen Chris Wells in his underwear and I'm proud of it. Built like a brick spit house.

Pre-spring: No. 1. The Buckeyes are going to be fine at linebacker. The spring proved they have seven able bodies for three available spots. The curse of Iowa (see: Dodd, spring '05) is upon them.

2. West Virginia: Biggest spring development was Spygate. Question: When did Marshall become good enough to be worthy of being spied on by a Big East team?

Pre-spring: No. 3. Rich Rodriguez disavowed all knowledge of the student who worked in the athletic offices, drove an athletic department car and took notes at a Marshall spring practice. Right.

3. Auburn: Still looking for a fullback, which is more than a small problem in the SEC. The line must be shored up in the fall with loss of Marcus McNeill and Troy Reddick.

Pre-spring: No. 4. One of about four SEC teams that could end up in the BCS title game.

4. LSU: Too many injuries to get a solid read coming out the spring. Running backs Justin Vincent and Alley Broussard and quarterback JaMarcus Russell missed spring because of nagging injuries.

Pre-spring: No. 2. Dropped because momentary Final Four fever took over Baton Rouge. Focus will be back in the fall.

5. Oklahoma: The Miracle Mile is more than a tag for the number of yards Adrian Peterson will run for this year. It's the nickname for the strip of auto dealers in Norman where A.P. got an allegedly sweet car deal. Peterson and mom say it was on the up-and-up.

Pre-spring: No. 6. Peterson will be the Reggie Bush of 2007, in a good way.

6. Texas: Mack Brown says he might play both true freshman Jevan Snead and redshirt freshman Colt McCoy in the fall at quarterback. Major Applewhite is disappointed (again) he's not the mix.

Pre-spring: No. 7.

7. Notre Dame: Land of the Side Projects. Tom Zbikowski is boxing. Jeff Samardzija is pitching. Brady Quinn is playing with the Stones on their next studio album.

Pre-spring: No. 5. Record crowd of 41,000 at the spring game.

8. USC: Now we know why Pete Carroll read the riot act to agents and NFL scouts when they gathered recently to work out the Trojans draft picks. Stay away from my players, he said. Michael Michaels apparently didn't get the message.

Pre-spring: No. 8. It will be hard to prove USC had knowledge of the Reggie Bush situation. Won't it?

9. Florida: Dueling controversies in Gainesville -- one at quarterback, one at running back. The difference is that both Chris Leak and Tim Tebow can play. So far, the inconsistent collection of runners can't.

Pre-spring: No. 9. That's right, I said Tim Tebow can play.

10. Georgia: Pretty much nothing was decided at quarterback. Joe Tereshinski, Matthew Stafford and Joe Cox were underwhelming in the spring game.

Pre-spring: No. 10.

11. Louisville: Bobby Petrino turned down a $20 million offer from the Raiders. Cardinals fans should be relieved. That means he'll stay until at least July.

Pre-spring: No. 15. Brian Brohm (knee) is making a miraculous recovery.

12. Oregon: Power Doppler has yet to pick up this BCS bowl contender.

Pre-spring: No. 11. You know the Ducks will score. Watch junior DT David Faaeteete, who most likely takes over for Haloti Ngata.

13. Virginia Tech: What's wrong with being a pocket passer? Sean Glennon isn't embarrassing himself or the program, so the Hokies automatically get better at quarterback with Marcus Vick gone. Really.

Pre-spring: No. 12. Rising star watch: CB Victor "Macho" Harris. If he lives up to his nickname, the rest of us are all girlie men.

14. Iowa: Postcard to Michigan: The ranking is wonderful. Wish you were here.

Pre-spring: No. 13.

15. Clemson: Get past those games at Boston College, at Florida State and at Virginia Tech and you can envision Clemson winning the Atlantic. Can't you?

Pre-spring: No. 17.

16. Boston College: Six bowl wins in a row. If you don't put the Eagles in the preseason top 20, you're nuts.

Pre-spring: No. 14. The Eagles are going to upset someone in the ACC to get to this lofty ranking. The question is, who?

17. Cal: New offensive coordinator Mike Dunbar spent the spring installing spread option elements. QB Joe Ayoob -- who lost his job last year -- flourished.

Pre-spring: No. 16. This is Jeff Tedford's best team since the 2004 squad went 10-2.

18. TCU: The biggest hope for the non-BCS to get to the BCS bowl. We're guessing that will be decided in the first month when the Frogs play Baylor, Texas Tech, BYU and Utah. Two-and-two looks likely.

Pre-spring: No. 18.

19. Nebraska: What kind of parallel universe is this? Nebraska finished last in Big 12 rushing last season. There's hope, though, because of the spring game that featured 182 yards split between tailbacks Cody Glenn and Marlon Lucky.

Pre-spring: No. 22. If Zac Taylor can stay upright (the line allowed more than 30 sacks), the Huskers should be the favorite in the Big 12 North.

20. Miami: The defense could be the best ever, which is saying a lot at Miami. It held Kirby Freeman and Kyle Wright to 77 total passing yards in the spring game. But with new offensive coordinator Rich Olson and no breakaway tailback, there is work to be done on offense.

Pre-spring: No. 21.

21. Michigan: Not much buzz at all about the Wolverines. They're here mostly on reputation.

Pre-spring: No. 20. Lloyd Carr is trying to rebuild after the program's worst season since 1984. There won't be much sympathy in places like Columbus (Nov. 18) and South Bend (Sept. 16).

22. Florida State: How do the Seminoles get better? They were projected to lose four defenders in the first round of the draft. The running game was horrid (109th). Drew Weatherford still needs to prove himself.

Pre-spring: No. 23. Watch for junior linebacker Lawrence Timmons. He's the next great one for Mickey Andrews. 23. Penn State: Tony Hunt and Austin Scott are going to come through big time in order ease quarterback Anthony Morelli into his new, awesome responsibility.

Pre-spring: No. 19. Too many Big Ten teams want big-time revenge for last year.

24. Arizona State: Best quarterback situation in the country. Sam Keller and Rudy Carpenter could -- no, should -- combine for 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns. Easily.

Pre-spring: NR

25. Georgia Tech:Trying to build on upset of Miami. The whole program must become more consistent, starting with quarterback Reggie Ball.

Pre-spring: No. 24.

25. Georgia Tech:Trying to build on upset of Miami. The whole program must become more consistent, starting with quarterback Reggie Ball.

233346[/snapback]

Is it just me, or does it seem like Reggie Ball has been playing forever?

Psst, I've seen Chris Wells in his underwear and I'm proud of it. Built like a brick spit house.

I don't understand this justification for a team being #1...what a gay statement

3. Auburn: Still looking for a fullback, which is more than a small problem in the SEC. The line must be shored up in the fall with loss of Marcus McNeill and Troy Reddick.

Pre-spring: No. 4. One of about four SEC teams that could end up in the BCS title game.

233346[/snapback]

With Borges running the show, if fullback is really our biggest question mark then I feel pretty good. (Of course, to me WR is our biggest question mark, on offense at least, so that concerns me a bit more).

What? No love for that west Vance team in dark pink?  :big:

233378[/snapback]

Thats typical Dodd for ya. He has made it no secret that he hates us.

1. Ohio State: News flash -- Psst, I've seen Chris Wells in his underwear and I'm proud of it. Built like a brick spit house.

Pre-spring: No. 1. The Buckeyes are going to be fine at linebacker. The spring proved they have seven able bodies for three available spots. The curse of Iowa (see: Dodd, spring '05) is upon them.

He ranks teams on how good some of their players look in underwear......hahahaha, Queer eye for the Football Guy

233378[/snapback]

233386[/snapback]

At least he is not late to the party. :D:poke:

Since Borges arrived have we even used a fullback?

233395[/snapback]

I hope that is some sort of sarcastic remark because the answer is clearly yes. We use the fullback quite more often than you probably realize. But then again, some fans only look at the skill positions :no:

233378[/snapback]

233386[/snapback]

Always a conspiracy with you guys. :rolleyes:

He didn't rank Alabama because he "hates" you. Right. It's not because he looks at a defense decimated by graduation and an offense that couldn't score if it had a thousand dollars in singles at the Mustang Ranch when it HAD a "decent" experienced quarterback and sees a team that isn't on a very good offensive or defensive foundation right now. Add that to the vacuum in the coaching area and there you go.

Bama will probably end up ranked because of the sissified schedule it plays, but until the team answers some of the glaring questions that face it, there's no reason for anyone to be on that rickety bandwagon.

Since Borges arrived have we even used a fullback?

233395[/snapback]

I hope that is some sort of sarcastic remark because the answer is clearly yes. We use the fullback quite more often than you probably realize. But then again, some fans only look at the skill positions :no:

233416[/snapback]

I agree with you that we did use the FB a good bit (although not as much as I like to see it). I always considered FB a skill position.

2004 we used a fullback a small amount, 2005 However, we used the Fullback a ton.

233346[/snapback]

233348[/snapback]

Played Reggie in high school, he was so good. Now, he seems very inconsitant.

233346[/snapback]

233348[/snapback]

Played Reggie in high school, he was so good. Now, he seems very inconsitant.

233433[/snapback]

he's too small and doesn't always make good decisions. But he is a very good athlete.

233378[/snapback]

233386[/snapback]

Always a conspiracy with you guys. :rolleyes:

He didn't rank Alabama because he "hates" you. Right. It's not because he looks at a defense decimated by graduation and an offense that couldn't score if it had a thousand dollars in singles at the Mustang Ranch when it HAD a "decent" experienced quarterback and sees a team that isn't on a very good offensive or defensive foundation right now. Add that to the vacuum in the coaching area and there you go.

233419[/snapback]

Galen, it can not be any of that, what next your going to tell me a QB from Alabama State was taken before the guy in dark pink. :big:

233346[/snapback]

233348[/snapback]

If they want to petition a lifetime membership for Ball at GT, I am all for it.

reggie.jpg

as an auburn fan, i hate reggie ball, and i'd like to think i'm not alone.

as for the bama hate thing, dodd would be justified in his hate, BUT i think he doesn't hate bama. personally, i don't think any major media writer hates another school (unless he's actually a fan, which most of these guys aren't, and he hates his college rival). dodd didn't go to auburn, and there's really no other place to develop a true healthy hatred of the tide... not even in knoxville. your attention is diverted to other places too frequently. i think these media guys may have a bias for or against teams that have burned them in the past, but they don't hate any team from what i can tell.

Borges and Tuberville had something in mind for a fullback. Understand they were upset to lose out on that fullback prospect who went to the Buckeyes. Aram Olson from S. Carolina.

With Borges running the show, if fullback is really our biggest question mark then I feel pretty good. (Of course, to me WR is our biggest question mark, on offense at least, so that concerns me a bit more).

After the spring, my biggest worry would be at RT. It was a shame that Tilley couldn't participate in spring practice.

Archived