Benefiting from UAT probation?

quietfan

I'm not asking just to talk smack, but have a legit question:

After having yet another Bama fan talk about how we benefitted so much in recruiting from their probation, I started trying to think of specific names. How many specific players can be said to have picked us instead of Bama purely because of their probation and sanction problems? Specific names?

The biggest name that usually arises is Carnell Williams, who apparently grew up a Bama fan. But hadn't Caddy actually verballed to Tennessee before CTT talked him into coming to Auburn. Perhaps he would have gone to Bama if the sanctions hadn't loomed, but technically we stole him from UT, not UAT, right?

I'm just not sure how strongly anyone can make an actual case for us reaping great benefits from their probation--at least in recruiting. (Certainly their lack of depth on the field hurt them, although they seemed to play us pretty tough during their leanest--2003-2004--years). I'm looking for serious discussion/facts--although I realize it's hard to discuss UAT without some smack and lots of snickering. :D

As far as the recruiting process goes, that is just about impossible to say. I doubt many (if any at all) would publicly admit to picking Auburn only because UAT was on probation. Remember it takes a certain kind of young man to be an Auburn man. Those that don't measure up, don't come here.

There is really no way to prove or disprove the "Auburn benefitted from UAT's probation" claim.

However, I can say with confidence that our recruiting benefitted more from Tommy Tuberville than from anything else. He is a great recruiter. He hires great coaches. He has great facilities. He plays by the rules. And he recruits men not players.

We know how important the last thing is to our program and we know that we have a special kind of chemistry in our football program. Not everyone can fit into that chemistry just like aupcolatiger said.

But there is another side to this whining. And that is the fact that UAT fans INSIST on living in the past, rather than the present or looking to the future. A certain amount of their recruiting depends on who your daddy or grandaddy was. As long as they continue to do that and talk about past coaches, past victories, past probation, past, past, past, past, they are never going to be anything but a has-been.

IF Tommy Tuberville had spent and entire day at Tim Tebow's house right before signing day, he would be at Auburn right now. That's the difference in recruiting.

I had one Bammer numbskull actually tell me that Auburn was stealing Alabama's recuits. Stupid is as stupid does.

The reason we are recruiting well is because Coach Turbeville has put together a program that emphasises academics, character, athletics and positive reason to play at Auburn. It has taken him years to put it all together.

I don't think ever Ole Bar could compete. Most of the thing Bryant did to recruit players was illegal and what wasn't stretched the rules so far that the NCAA made them illegal.

Right. And the reason that Jennifer Aniston married Brad Pitt is because I was already taken. :D

The type players that CHOOSE to become Tigers would not fit in @ uat. They have far too much character to fit in @ west vance. ;)

I am not sure if Auburn benefitted from the actual probation, but I do think that Auburn benefitted from all of the uncertainty around the program a couple of years back. Tuberville was able to have consistant contact and build relationships with some of the high school coaches and players while Alabama was having to find 3 or 4 new coaches in only a couple of years.

Tuberville is a great recruiter when he is going heads up against other schools. Then throw in the fact that he has gone head to head with several different coaches at Alabama, and it gives him that much more of an advantage.

This is where I think the benefit lies.

I agree with you quiet. The only name that comes into my head is Carnell, but Auburn did pull him away from the Dunkin Donuts guy, not Franny or Price or whomever their coach was back then...<snicker snicker>

That being said, the real reason he decided on Auburn over UT was that Rudi was leaving and he could play right away. He could have waltzed right into JHW and played right away too, and I find it very hard to believe they didn't offer him. Rumor debunked successfully.<snicker snicker>

The truth may lie in the fact that FIU has stolen a few of their recruits during their 25 years of probation. (It has been 25 years now right?<snicker snicker>)

They have already stolen one back this year though, so the ship is already being righted and Shulligan can breathe easier.

;)

Guest Tigrinum Major
Right. And the reason that Jennifer Aniston married Brad Pitt is doing Vince Vaughn is because I Brad Pitt was already taken messing around with Angelina Jolie. :D

233860[/snapback]

I realize you were being sarcastic, but...

Fixed that for you.

Pretty much what I thought...I tend to agree with all you guys.

[except I though I was the one that Jennifer Aniston let get away! Of course, if Angelina weren't just a little to wild for my taste, Brad might still be with Jennifer. :big: ]

Pretty much what I thought...I tend to agree with all you guys.

[except I though I was the one that Jennifer Aniston let get away!  Of course, if Angelina weren't just a little to wild for my taste, Brad might still be with Jennifer.  :big: ]

233890[/snapback]

Jennifer, Angelina, Who CARES? I would just like to be in the mix there somewhere. B)

If that is the case, then wouldn't it be logical to think they benefited from the Auburn probations? Maybe AUBURN should be able to claim half of the Bammers MNC's since probation helped Bama so much.

I would think that those players who grew up a Bama fan and whose families are dyed in the wool red elephants, then if Bama didn't have enough scholarships available, those kids would have signed somewhere else rather than AUBURN. But then it would also seem logical that with Bama unable to buy players then all SEC members probably benefited.

I'm just going to touch on Carnell. IF Bama didn't have a HUGE dark cloud of sanctions over it's head during Carnell's recruiting process, he would have been Bama bound. You don't have to believe me, I realize anyone could come on here and type this, but those were words spoken to me out of his mouth.

Even with the sanctions, Carnell didn't shut the door to Bama until the day Fran was hired. Fran set up a time to meet with Carnell, and then stayed ALL DAY at the Croyle camp, missing the meeting time previously established with Carnell.

I'm just going to touch on Carnell.  IF Bama didn't have a HUGE dark cloud of sanctions over it's head during Carnell's recruiting process, he would have been Bama bound.  You don't have to believe me, I realize anyone could come on here and type this, but those were words spoken to me out of his mouth. 

Even with the sanctions, Carnell didn't shut the door to Bama until the day Fran was hired.  Fran set up a time to meet with Carnell, and then stayed ALL DAY at the Croyle camp, missing the meeting time previously established with Carnell.

233926[/snapback]

So which was it? The sanctions, or the disrespect by the coach?

Depends on how you want to look at it. In my opinion, the dark cloud that had Carnell looking at other schools wasn't just the looming probation. It was the entire process of a 3-8 season, Dubose being fired, probation on the way, and a new coach coming in. Carnell took the road that looked the best for him. Looking back, it's obvious that he made the right decision. Look at Brodie. I know you guys think he was/is seriously over-rated, but I think he would have been a first round pick had he gone to Florida State instead of Bama.

Back to the point. I don't think it was JUST the probation, BUT, anyone can argue anything.

Considering that we have almost always carried more out of state players on our roster than in state players, even going into last year we had more players from Georgia than any other state, it was nowhere near the effect that Alabama fans want to claim.

Sure there might be a player here or there that might have gone to Alabama. I think where it hurt them most was players leaving the state for other schools that might have gone to Alabama.

but those were words spoken to me out of his mouth. 

233926[/snapback]

Mmmhmmm....

I'm not asking just to talk smack, but have a legit question:

After having yet another Bama fan talk about how we benefitted so much in recruiting from their probation, I started trying to think of specific names.  How many specific players can be said to have picked us instead of Bama purely because of their probation and sanction problems?  Specific names?

The biggest name that usually arises is Carnell Williams, who apparently grew up a Bama fan.  But hadn't Caddy actually verballed to Tennessee before CTT talked him into coming to Auburn.  Perhaps he would have gone to Bama if the sanctions hadn't loomed, but technically we stole him from UT, not UAT, right?

I'm just not sure how strongly anyone can make an actual case for us reaping great benefits from their probation--at least in recruiting. (Certainly their lack of depth on the field hurt them, although they seemed to play us pretty tough during their leanest--2003-2004--years).  I'm looking for serious discussion/facts--although I realize it's hard to discuss UAT without some smack and lots of snickering. :D

233849[/snapback]

I think the one mentioned the most in recent years is Brandon Cox.

The reason we are recruiting well is because  Coach Turbeville has put together a program that emphasises academics, character, athletics and positive reason to play at Auburn.  It has taken him years to put it all together. 

233858[/snapback]

ACtually the order should be character, academics, spirituality, then athletics. With the first 3 in place, the last will fall into place. I think that is Tommy's basic philosophy.

Guest Tigrinum Major

233926[/snapback]

Mmmhmmm....

233985[/snapback]

Not to defend our resident Argonaut, but he is from Gadrock and probably stands a good chance of knowing Carnell personally.

You know some players from the Huntsville area personally, don't you, vatz?

234000[/snapback]

Actually sanctions had nothing to do with Cox going to AU. For some stupid reason Fran didn't even offer him a scholarship. :angry:

Fran decided to go with Brandon Avalos. :blink::puke:

The reason we are recruiting well is because  Coach Turbeville has put together a program that emphasises academics, character, athletics and positive reason to play at Auburn.  It has taken him years to put it all together. 

233858[/snapback]

ACtually the order should be character, academics, spirituality, then athletics. With the first 3 in place, the last will fall into place. I think that is Tommy's basic philosophy.

234019[/snapback]

I hate to rain on the parade here, but I don't think anyone can recruit like that. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we recruit straight thugs but you're kidding yourself if you think they are all choir boys. All of these attributes are important and I think the coaching staff likely ways them all out equally to see if they would be a good fit in the program.

234000[/snapback]

Actually sanctions had nothing to do with Cox going to AU. For some stupid reason Fran didn't even offer him a scholarship. :angry:

234028[/snapback]

Maybe ole Frannie misunderstood when he heard that Avalos had a smokin' arm. :big:

234000[/snapback]

234028[/snapback]

Yep they told him he was welcome to walk on but no scholarship. He felt slighted and hurt once that happened it didn’t take much from some of the Auburn loyal friends he has to convince him to come to Auburn. I mean after all, what better way to show a school you idolized for years that disrespected you a “hometown boy”that they made a major mistake than by going to their biggest rival and leading the most convincing 1st quarter beat down of that team in the Iron bowl in many years. His father even converted over from the dark side who was one of the top 2 or 3 biggest bammer homers you could find.

Personally I enjoyed every minute of it. :roflol:

233926[/snapback]

Mmmhmmm....

233985[/snapback]

Not to defend our resident Argonaut, but he is from Gadrock and probably stands a good chance of knowing Carnell personally.

You know some players from the Huntsville area personally, don't you, vatz?

234026[/snapback]

Oh I'm just hasselin him :cheers:

Archived