Weiss Screws Up?

DKW 86

http://www.benmaller.com/#college_rumors_notes

A league source with intimate knowledge of the applicable NCAA regulations tells us that Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis might have rendered quarterback Brady Quinn and other incoming seniors ineligible if, as ProFootballTalk.com previously have reported, http://profootballtalk.com/Weis has directed the seniors with designs on pro football to pick their agents before the start of the 2006 season.

Wow...

everyone here...raise your hand if you already knew that its a violation to have an agent before you finish your college career.

How could he not know that?

(hand raised)

Maybe some of us need jobs handling these kids? If this is true, do they give him a get out of jail card?

I knew about this a week ago, I doubt anything will happen. He is ESPN's golden child for next year...

Can you be anymore of a pinhead if this is true? If this is true I suspect that there is more to the story and this is the spin machine releasing this part. You cannot make me believe that they had no idea that it was a bad move. Something stinks in suburbia!

I forgot to add that I don't think this has very much substance to it at all.

the article says "a league source with intimate knowledge of the rule says..." what the hell does that mean. I have intimate knowledge of strip clubs in Las Vegas, therefore, Alabama players should be disqualified from their senior season. A league source who knows the rules means nothing.

How do they know that Weis told the players to choose an agent? If I read the rule correctly, the players can in fact choose their agent as long as they don't have an agreement with the agent. I would bet my life that Vince Young not only chose his agent (a family friend), but also had an agreement with him prior to the end of his college career. This is stupid. Whether you like ND or not, you have to admit that Charlie Weis is a smart guy. If he messed up and said pick your agent, someone in the room probably would have spoken up and said that is probably not a good idea.

Hey dont be hating the messenger here guys. Igave the link as Mallers site. You knew what you were getting.

Hey dont be hating the messenger here guys. Igave the link as Mallers site. You knew what you were getting.

243494[/snapback]

Not attacking the messenger at all. I am glad you put this out there. I do hope that everyone who says they hope this is true takes a deep breath. Apparently, your hope is that the NCAA crack down further and harder. No matter how much you hate ND, I hope to God you don't hope that Brady Quinn, who by all accounts is an outstanding human being, is not hurt. We sit here and attack players for doing drugs, stealing guns, and getting in fights, and a lot of us condemn them when it is Bama, and defend when it is an AUburn player. And yet, when someone who has hurt nobody, Brady Quinn, people here want his career ended.

I for one hope he plays his senior year, and meets AU in the MNC game and then wishes he would have signed with an agent.

When I suggest Bama should suspend players for misconduct, I don't do it to hurt Bama, I want them to be the best they can be. I just want us to beat them. Same with ND. Let's not wish ill on innocent people, let's wish them the best until they are on the field against our team :au:

I can't believe he would be this stupid. Then again, it is Notre Dame and they can get away with anything, so they probably did it anyway.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs..../CAT=NDSports02

June 27. 2006 6:59AM

Notre Dame is defending the passer

Irish keep Quinn's eligibility safe

ERIC HANSEN

Tribune Staff Writer

It is part of Mike Karwoski's job to check out every whisper, every bit of innuendo, every rumor.

So he didn't laugh uncontrollably when a report from a Web site called profootballtalk.com crossed his desk recently.

He was too annoyed to laugh. And perhaps too nauseous as well.

"Typical freaking Internet," the Notre Dame associate athletic director in charge of compliance offered. "It's a joke."

The headline read "Weis, Irish flirting with disaster," and it went on to say:

A league source with intimate knowledge of the applicable NCAA regulations tells us that Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis might have rendered quarterback Brady Quinn and other incoming seniors ineligible if, as we previously have reported, Weis has directed seniors with designs on pro football to pick their agents before the start of the 2006 season.

"My sources in the NFL," Karwoski mocked. "Yeah, great, what sources? First of all your sources should be with the kid, with the agent and the university. We're the ones who know what's going on."

And perhaps the ones who would avoid a 56-word sentence and the term "incoming seniors."

In any event, what's going on is this: Weis and Karwoski have talked to Quinn, a senior who is expected to be the first pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, about narrowing down a list of potential agents this offseason, not deciding on one.

"They wanted to get rid of the riffraff, find out who the legitimate people were," Karwoski said. "I told them there is nothing in the rules that prevents you from sitting down and talking to an agent. You can also call the ones you're not interested in and tell them that, that they're not going to be part of any further discussions.

"If there's a group of four, five, 10 that pique their interest, I don't have a problem with the player saying, 'We're going to revisit this at the end of the season when my eligibility is done.' The only thing I cautioned them about was don't tell somebody, 'You're the guy.' You are prevented by NCAA rules from making a written or verbal agreement."

Players and their families are also prohibited from taking money from an agent while the player still has college eligibility.

Dave Slates, Quinn's uncle and one of the four people advising the quarterback, takes it a step further.

"We don't even allow the family to have a Coke bought for them from one of these guys," he said.

Slates, Quinn's parents (Robin and Ty) and another uncle, Scott Binder, met with 15 agents initially and narrowed the field to six. At that point, Quinn joined the process and the family has now weeded the list to "a few."

"Brady was getting text-messages, called and mailed information on a daily basis," Slates said. "I don't know how these guys get his cell number and stuff, but they do.

"What we've done is let the guys know who are still in the running that they are and let the guys who are no longer in the running who they are. And everybody knows not to contact Brady until January. And you know what? They've honored that. Now Brady can focus on football and we can move on with our lives, knowing we'll have a very abbreviated final process ahead of us."

Notre Dame does its part to button up the process by requiring agents to register with its compliance office. None of the communications are to be made to the players directly during the season, but rather to Karwoski, who passes on the information.

"Sure, there are agents who try to work around the system," Karwoski said. "But I tell our guys, 'I would question those agents and ask them why they're not working on the up and up.' "

Karwoski and his staff also hold informational meetings in the fall right before the season and in the spring before the players go home.

"I tell every kid, and I'm straight up with this, 'You know what the rules are,' " Karwoski said. " 'If I find out you did something, don't come to me to go to the NCAA to try to get your eligibility reinstated, because I won't. You know the rules, and that's it.' "

Slates, who also saw the profootballtalk.com article, credits Weis with the family knowing the rules backward and forward.

"The implication that Charlie would be unaware of the rules is just silly," Slates said. "Charlie is a very detail guy.

"In fact, our family is very thankful to Charlie for a number of reasons, not the least of which is Brady is probably in this position in large part because Charlie has arrived in South Bend. But with this agent stuff, he's gone above and beyond the call."

Staff writer Eric Hansen:

Site answers questions and fights back.

I AM SURE THEY ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE MID 90'S WHEN NOTRE DAME WAS FLYING KIDS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY FOR GETAWAY'S. THE NCAA REALLY HAMMERED THEM. WHAT WAS IT TWO SCHOLARSHIPS AND ONE YEAR OF PROBATION.

People still need to understand.

The rumor mill site comes up with these ridiculous rumors so people will post them on their site.

None of their stories has an ounce of truth to them and they hide behind their 100% fabricated stories with "inside sources" meaning the kid next door

Archived