Graduates can Transfer and play

DKW 86

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Be a great player on a sucky team. Graduate with eligibility left and transfer and play for a great team. Just imagine the possibilities.

New Loophole For Graduate Students

Under a rule just adopted by the NCAA a month ago, athlete transfers who have completed their undergraduate degrees but still have eligibility left can immediately enroll and play at another school where they have been accepted to pursue an advanced degree.  The previous rule stated that all transfers from one Division I school to another had to sit out one academic year.

To put this into laymen's terms: you can finish your degree at XYZ University in June of 2006 , still have one year of playing college football left, and enroll in BF College in August, 2006 to work on your graduate degree and also be allowed to play on BF's team in 2006.

Even though this rule has not been publicized much in the media (that's why you read us), look for more seniors who can actually read and play to get interest from teams who think that Mr. Graduate could help their program, even if it is for only one year. 

Be a great player on a sucky team. Grad uate with eligibility left and transfer and play for a great team. Just imagine the possibilities.

Under a rule just adopted by the NCAA a month ago, athlete transfers who have completed their undergraduate degrees but still have eligibility left can immediately enroll and play at another school where they have been accepted to pursue an advanced degree.  The previous rule stated that all transfers from one Division I school to another had to sit out one academic year.

To put this into laymen's terms: you can finish your degree at XYZ University in June of 2006 , still have one year of playing college football left, and enroll in BF College in August, 2006 to work on your graduate degree and also be allowed to play on BF's team in 2006.

Even though this rule has not been publicized much in the media (that's why you read us), look for more seniors who can actually read and play to get interest from teams who think that Mr. Graduate could help their program, even if it is for only one year. 

243601[/snapback]

Be a great player on a sucky team. Graduate with eligibility left and transfer and play for a great team. Just imagine the possibilities.

243601[/snapback]

This is kinda old news. Tuberville has already spoken out against this. This is another one of those NCAA-knows-best rules that drives me crazy.

It should be noted that Carl Stewart has already graduated and has TWO years of eligibility left. I don't think he'll transfer, but its a scenario that scares me for future athletes.

Maybe I'm one of the few...but I like the new rule.

It puts more emphasis on academics and gives guys who work hard in college a reward for their work.

I seriously doubt many big-time players will leave good schools because of this.

You know what I have thought about that I have not heard spoken of.

Let’s say Shula decides to give JS a 2 game suspension (I know, I know HIGHLY unlikely he gets anything, just use your imagination here ;) ) JS says “you know what, I bet Someone like Spurior at USC could use a starting Linebacker…maybe I give him a call”.

He has graduated, what would stop him?

USC already has a primetime ESPN game against Auburn set up.

Hmmmm…

What about others...suspend me...I'm gone.

I like the positive academic message being sent here. Instead of thinking about it on a Div-1 level only, think how it will help lower level college players. What if a player goes to Div. II school and wants to pursue a graduate degree that his current school does not offer. Well, instead of hanging around just to play his last season, he can now transfer to a bigger school that offers that degree and also be able to play his last year or two of eligibility. I would not think too many Div-1 players will take advantage of this because most Div-1 universities are big enough that they would offer just about any graduate degree a player would need without needing to transfer (there will be the few exceptions). I see this effecting lower level players more.

You have to remember, a guy won't be able to transfer just for the heck of it. He will have had to earned his bachelor's first. I don't see where this rule will be taken abused that much. If a guy earns his bachelor's before his four years are up, more power to him I say to go where he needs to go.

Let’s say Shula decides to give JS a 2 game suspension (I know, I know HIGHLY unlikely he gets anything, just use your imagination here ;) ) JS says “you know what, I bet Someone like Spurior at USC could use a starting Linebacker…maybe I give him a call”.

Hmmmm…

243698[/snapback]

That was kind of what I was alluding to with this. Imagine :usc: with Jay Cutler at qb last season. That would kind of make it very interesting.

Hmmmm…

243698[/snapback]

I don't know if it would be that simple. They would have to gain admittance into the graduate program at the other school, which can be much more selective than undergraduate admissions. With fewer programs (doubt there is a Master's of Basketweaving), and the eggiest of the eggheads involved on the academic side, I doubt someone with known or even suspected off-the-field issues would be accepted into a master's program without a well-warranted fight from the academics.

I don't know if it would be that simple.  They would have to gain admittance into the graduate program at the other school, which can be much more selective than undergraduate admissions.  With fewer programs (doubt there is a Master's of Basketweaving), and the eggiest of the eggheads involved on the academic side, I doubt someone with known or even suspected off-the-field issues would be accepted into a master's program without a well-warranted fight from the academics.

243751[/snapback]

That is kind of what I was trying to say. The guys transferring to a graduate program are guys that are serious about their academics and not as worried about their football career. I doubt you see many superstars taking advantage of this rule.

I don't know if it would be that simple.  They would have to gain admittance into the graduate program at the other school, which can be much more selective than undergraduate admissions.  With fewer programs (doubt there is a Master's of Basketweaving), and the eggiest of the eggheads involved on the academic side, I doubt someone with known or even suspected off-the-field issues would be accepted into a master's program without a well-warranted fight from the academics.

243751[/snapback]

That is kind of what I was trying to say. The guys transferring to a graduate program are guys that are serious about their academics and not as worried about their football career. I doubt you see many superstars taking advantage of this rule.

243768[/snapback]

Well, lke I was pointing out, it will only be a great player at a bad school. A Bart Starr, Jay Cutler, Eric Metcalf, etc that would leave. Besides, what constitutes a MS program that is different? You can specialize within an MS curriculum. It could be as little as a course or two. MIS w/ a WiFi specializaion puts you at :au: Or an MS in Sports Fitness MGT could put you in at :ua:

I could see some periforal schools doing it. Louisville, BC, Utah, are all just a player or two away from big things. What about a 5th year Senior Jerry Rice at :au: next year? He played at MVSU. Boggles the mind...

Hmmmm…

243698[/snapback]

I don't know if it would be that simple. They would have to gain admittance into the graduate program at the other school, which can be much more selective than undergraduate admissions. With fewer programs (doubt there is a Master's of Basketweaving), and the eggiest of the eggheads involved on the academic side, I doubt someone with known or even suspected off-the-field issues would be accepted into a master's program without a well-warranted fight from the academics.

243751[/snapback]

I don't know - football scholarships are already given to people that might not make it into college otherwise. Don't you think if a team really needs a particular player, they would find a way to get him admitted into graduate school? If the player already has a bachelors degree, then he quite likely "qualifies" for admission to a graduate program. Anybody that gets a degree while putting that much time into football practice has to be fairly bright, even if they take an easier curriculum. And I'm sure the "academics" could be influenced - they are already influenced for undergraduate athletes.

That being said, I don't see this happening very often. A second or third stringer may decide to go to a another school for an opportunity to play more, but I doubt big time players would. And the coaches might be looked down on by their peers if they pick off good players from from other schools.

Can we call these Gold Shirts?
Perhaps at West Vance...although I understand just plain currency is the preferred medium of exchange there. :big:

Archived