Ark Backup QB leaving

DKW 86

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/158848/

FAYETTEVILLE — Reserve quarterback Alex Mortensen is leaving the Arkansas Razorbacks, apparently for good this time.

In January, Mortensen announced he was transferring to Georgia Southern but within a week said he would stay at Arkansas. On Sunday, he said in a statement released through the UA sports information department that he will transfer to Samford in Birmingham, Ala., for the chance to play sooner than he would be able to play for the Razorbacks.

Mortensen, the son of ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, will be a third-year sophomore and will be eligible to compete immediately because Samford is an NCAA Division I-AA school. Not having to sit out a year was the reason Mortensen said he passed on “numerous” chances to transfer to other Division I-A schools.

Arkansas listed quarterbacks Casey Dick and Robert Johnson first and second, respectively, on the postspring depth chart. The depth chart didn’t include Mortensen, who was presumably third.

The position will become more crowded in August when preseason practice begins and heralded signee Mitch Mustain officially joins the team. Mustain is likely to play as a freshman, though how much will be determined by how quickly he adjusts to the college level.

Article here

Samford University picked up an SEC backup quarterback this weekend when Arkansas reserve Alex Mortensen said he would transfer to the Division I-AA school.

Mortensen, a redshirt sophomore, will have three years to play and will be immediately eligible after transferring from the Division I-A Razorbacks. He is the son of ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and was ranked among the top prep quarterback prospects in the nation in the Class of 2004. He was an all-state performer for Landmark Christian School outside Atlanta.

"I'm looking forward go getting to Birmingham," the 20-year-old said Sunday night. "I know Samford is a great school. A lot of kids from my high school, including (current Bulldogs defensive back) Sean Hill, went to Samford. He's had a lot of great things to say about Samford over the past few years.

What's going on up there in hog land?? Mortensen and Michael Coe leaving. That stuff with Coe smells funny. Bumped to 4th on depth chart for spring?

Yay, even more crap about how Nutt does "more with less", if I hear that phrase during the Arky/Auburn game I'm going to slaughter a hog.

Seems to me to be more like "Less with More" lately.

243989[/snapback]

Bingo! Somethin' fishy in hogville. Time will tell the tale.

Seems to me to be more like "Less with More" lately.

243989[/snapback]

Bingo! Somethin' fishy in hogville. Time will tell the tale.

243996[/snapback]

Sounds like bad barbeque to me. :poke:

Archived