Stewart Mandell ranks best and worst football coac

Stewart Mandell, of CNNSI, gives his ranking of the 10 best college football coaches in the country. He also ranks the 5 worst coaches in the country. Do you agree with these rankings?

Here is the link

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...lbag/index.html

My top 10 coaches heading into the 2006 season

1. Pete Carroll, USC: I find it pretty amusing that some people have chosen to blame Carroll -- specifically his ill-fated fourth-and-two call -- for the Rose Bowl loss to Texas. The guy won 34 straight games, people. I don't think he suddenly forgot how to coach with two minutes left in the Rose Bowl.

2. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: Similarly, one disappointing 8-4 season in what we all knew going in was going to be a rebuilding situation does not override Stoops' 60-7 record and three national title appearances in the five years before that. If things don't get better this season, then maybe we'll talk.

3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: His teams continue to exhibit the hallmark of good coaching: They get better as the season goes on. With an entirely new D-line last year, the Hawkeyes gave up 314 rushing yards to Ohio State on Sept. 24. Seven weeks later they held Brian Calhoun and Wisconsin to 19.

4. Mack Brown, Texas: I'm sure there are still plenty of die-hard Mack haters out there who will contend he lucked out with Vince Young, but the guy's got to be doing something right: His 56-8 record is the best in the country over the past five years, and he hasn't won fewer than nine games in a season since 1995.

5. Jim Tressel, Ohio State: Over the past two years we've watched the traditionally conservative Tressel reinvent his offense around the playmaking abilities of electrifying QB Troy Smith while still maintaining his usual emphasis on defense and special teams.

6. Mark Richt, Georgia: Two SEC titles and three conference-championship-game appearances in the past four seasons? Not too shabby. In just a short time, Richt has built a consistent program that has been an annual contender no matter the personnel turnover each season.

7. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech: The Hokies' first two seasons in the ACC have been nothing short of remarkable (back-to-back 7-1 conference seasons), though last year's meltdowns against Miami and Florida State certainly left a bitter taste in some people's mouths -- not to mention the Marcus Vick situation (more on that later).

8. Bobby Petrino, Louisville: In only four seasons as a head coach, Petrino has emerged as arguably the top offensive mind in the country, and he's upgraded the talent level at once-small-time Louisville so dramatically as to have two of this season's top Heisman candidates (Brian Brohm and Michael Bush).

9. Urban Meyer, Florida: His first season at Florida had its share of ups and downs, but the Gators still managed to finish 9-3, and Meyer asserted his presence in the recruiting world shortly thereafter. His five-year head coaching record now stands at an impressive 48-11.

10. George O'Leary, UCF: He never really got proper due for his tenure at Georgia Tech, where his .612 winning percentage was the school's highest since Bobby Dodd, but his most remarkable achievement came last year, when he orchestrated the Golden Knights' incredible turnaround from 0-11 to 8-5 and a Conference USA division title.

Just missed: TCU's Gary Patterson, West Virginia's Rich Rodriguez, Cal's Jeff Tedford, Auburn's Tommy Tuberville and Texas Tech's Mike Leach.

The five worst

1. Chuck "Red Shoes" Amato, N.C. State: Any remaining doubts as to how badly the Wolfpack has underachieved lately were erased in April's NFL draft, when three members of a 7-5 team were selected in the first round. Amato's teams have had no offensive identity whatsoever since Philip Rivers' departure, which might have something to do with going through new coordinators nearly every year. Didn't he at least take notes when Norm Chow was there?

2. Gary Pinkel, Missouri: How golden an opportunity were the last two years for Missouri football? The career of the most dynamic quarterback in school history (Brad Smith) and a roster finally filled with Pinkel recruits happened to coincide with the rare downturns of division powers Nebraska and Kansas State. What do the Tigers have to show for it? A 12-11 record and an Independence Bowl win.

3. Chan Gailey, Georgia Tech: Another year, another season of maddening inconsistency for a Gailey-coached team, which last season managed to go on the road and beat top 10 foes Auburn and Miami but lose to N.C. State and Virginia and, in its most embarrassing display to date, crumble 38-10 to Utah in its bowl game. At least he's consistent about one thing: Tech has won exactly seven games in each of Gailey's four seasons.

4. John L. Smith, Michigan State: There was a time, back at Louisville, when Smith might have merited consideration for the other list. But he appears in over his head in the Big Ten, where defense and special teams -- not exactly Smith's fortes -- actually matter. Despite producing the nation's fifth-ranked offense last year, the Spartans dropped six of their last seven games, including 49-14 to Northwestern and 41-18 to Minnesota.

5. Bill Doba, Washington State: The 65-year-old career high school coach/college assistant was able to carry on the pipeline for one season, going 10-3 in 2003 and beating Texas in the Holiday Bowl, but the Cougars have won only four Pac-10 games in the two seasons since. Can someone explain how a team with a 1,900-yard rusher (Jerome Harrison) can go 4-7?

Yes, that's right, Kentucky fans, Brooks earned a reprieve this year. After a fairly disastrous first two seasons in which rumors circulated almost daily that he wanted out, Brooks finally seemed more comfortable last season, and the Wildcats showed signs of progress on the field.

Others considered for best: Navy's Paul Johnson, Northern Illinois' Joe Novak, Toledo's Tom Amstutz, Tulsa's Steve Kragthorpe and UTEP's Mike Price.

Others considered for worst: Virginia's Al Groh, Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione, Oregon State's Mike Riley, North Carolina's John Bunting and Illinois' Ron Zook.

Petrino made it and CTT just missed!? What is this guy smoking? Petrino would still be a nowheresville OC if Tubs hadn't given him his first break.

Anyway, no one ever gives our coach his due. It seems as though the media hate to give him any credit. Oh well, we'll take another SEC championship and they can keep the polls.

I'm okay with most of those but I really don't get Ferentz and Meyer. The first time Meyer is really on the big stage in the SEC, he looks no better than his predecessor, Ron Zook. He may turn out to be great but to this point, he's proven nothing.

And Ferentz...uh....who?

I'm okay with most of those but I really don't get Ferentz and Meyer.  The first time Meyer is really on the big stage in the SEC, he looks no better than his predecessor, Ron Zook.  He may turn out to be great but to this point, he's proven nothing.

And Ferentz...uh....who?

244042[/snapback]

I agree w/ you on Meyer... but not Ferentz.

Ferentz took a dismal 3-9 team, and had them 7-5 the next year... they've gone on to win 11, 10, 10, and 7 repectively and gone to 4 straight bowls. One thing ya gotta remember, Iowa is the equivalent of :om: in the :sec: . They're no Michigan or Ohio St. They can have good teams from time to time, but they're never really supposed to contend/be a Top 15 squad. Yet, Ferentz has put them in that position. He's a good one IMO.

I stand corrected on Ferentz. :P

Honestly, I just hadn't followed much of what he's done. Sounds like he could be in line for a big time gig. Hey, the Big 10 is the big time but if you're at a program that can only go so far, no matter how good they're coached, we may see him in the SEC one day.

Honestly, I just hadn't followed much of what he's done.  Sounds like he could be in line for a big time gig.  Hey, the Big 10 is the big time but if you're at a program that can only go so far, no matter how good they're coached, we may see him in the SEC one day.

244058[/snapback]

Maybe so. I could see UT going after a Petrino or Ferentz if things continue to slide under Fulmer.

Honestly, I just hadn't followed much of what he's done.  Sounds like he could be in line for a big time gig.  Hey, the Big 10 is the big time but if you're at a program that can only go so far, no matter how good they're coached, we may see him in the SEC one day.

244058[/snapback]

Maybe so. I could see UT going after a Petrino or Ferentz if things continue to slide under Fulmer.

244075[/snapback]

If CTT left, I would take a look at Ferentz and Petrino, and then hire Borges. :big:

Anyone else catch the worst list non-quals?

Others considered for worst: Virginia's Al Groh (not IMHO) , Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione, Oregon State's Mike Riley(not IMHO) , North Carolina's John Bunting and Illinois' Ron Zook.

Excuse me to rant a bit.

:rant:

I never saw anything that Fran did at Bama that was so great. I know the 10 win season but the talent was there. Dubose got fired for under achieving with GREAT talent. Say what you want, Dubose recruited great players, even if some were on the payroll. Half the guys on AUN or RTB could have come close to ten wins with the talent he had at Bama.

Fran always does very well his first year or so and then heads out of town before the roof caves in. At TAM he didnot have the talent to begin with. They really are a bad team. At best he is #4 in the Big 12 South. Fran lived off of Dubose's recruits and nothing more. I never saw where he was anything above average while at Alabama. We out coached ourselves and got shown the door in 2001. But from that painful loss to an average coach, CTT has finally gotten us to the next level.

Groh is IMO one of the most over-rated coaches.

UVA is a solid 7-8 win team under him but that is it.

244117[/snapback]

Slink, that is GOOD for UVA!!! That is my point... It is kind of like saying that he has gotten Vandy to only a 7-8 win level. Compared to what they were before, that is great!

Wouldn't UT automatically go after that stellar "coach" currently prowling the sidelines in west vance?

I'm okay with most of those but I really don't get Ferentz and Meyer.  The first time Meyer is really on the big stage in the SEC, he looks no better than his predecessor, Ron Zook.  He may turn out to be great but to this point, he's proven nothing.

And Ferentz...uh....who?

244042[/snapback]

I agree w/ you on Meyer... but not Ferentz.

Ferentz took a dismal 3-9 team, and had them 7-5 the next year... they've gone on to win 11, 10, 10, and 7 repectively and gone to 4 straight bowls. One thing ya gotta remember, Iowa is the equivalent of :om: in the :sec: . They're no Michigan or Ohio St. They can have good teams from time to time, but they're never really supposed to contend/be a Top 15 squad. Yet, Ferentz has put them in that position. He's a good one IMO.

244050[/snapback]

Damn, we do actually agree on something. You put Ferentz at almost any SEC school and he would thrive. He is a very good coach that gets overlooked because he is in a perennial middle of the pack Big 10 school.

I dont; however, understand how Petrino and Beamer are in the top 10. Not that CTT necessarily deserves to be there yet, but I just don't see them as top 10 coaches.

Memo to Stewart Mandel and all the "Urban Renewal"-bandwagon types and Petrino-philes out there: Talk to me when your boy BEATS somebody. (Near misses against declining Miami and victories over DJ Shockely-less UGA and reeling FSU don't count.) Till then, buh bye. I realize I may be setting myself up for a big fall by partaking in the "Urban Myth" campaign - what with the Mighty Gators rolling into the Plains in about 3 1/2 months - but I'm not ready to drink the, er, GATOR-ade just yet . . .

And George O'Leary? Come on. Sure, the guy can coach. He's a tough, old school coach (which I love), he did a fine job at Tech, and I'm sure he'll make UCF relevant. But Top 10? Get serious. If all you have to do crack the Top 10 is win a few games at UCF, the state of college football is sad, indeed.

That said, no major gripes re: #s 1-7, except that I think #3 is too high for Ferentz. At the end of the day, you can't argue with success:

1. Pete Carroll - BCS title loss aside, he's set the standard for everyone else to match.

2. Whichever of Bob Stoops / Mack Brown wins the OK - Tex game this year. (I can't bring myself to call it the "Red River Shootout" - when you're used to the Iron Bowl, everything else seems more like a tea party . . . ) Stoops has to re-establish Big 12 dominance; Mack Brown needs to maintain it.

3. (Loser of the above.)

4. Jim Tressel - Needs to deliver this year, but still the standard-bearer in the Midwest.

5. Mark Richt - Three SEC East and two conference championships in the last four years; hard to argue with that. That the 'dogs always find a way to trip themselves up (i.e., out of the MNC picture - somewhere Ron Zook is smiling) is all that keeps him from ranking even higher.

Other observations:

Not my favorite guy, but where in the heck is Steve Spurrier? Let's not forget - salad Gainesville days aside - he beat O'Leary and Pope Urban last year, and gave Richt serious palpitations. Mandel's saying Mike Leach, Gary Patterson and Rich Rodriguez (in addition to the pretenders named at the top) are BETTER than Spurrier???

A national sports columnist just had a discussion regarding the top coaches in America and DID NOT even mention (INSERT CURRENT NOTRE DAME COACH HERE). Even more amazingly, Charlie Weiss actually deserves consideration. (I really can't believe I'm actually criticizing the media for DISTRESPECTING Notre Dame - apocalypse to follow in ten, nine, eight . . . ) :rolleyes:

JoePa? Anyone?

And, of course, Tubs has gotta be there. Still more to do (damn you, BCS!!), but 15-1 in the SEC in two years and five of the last six (?) SEC West titles HAS to merit the Top 10. So long as he continues his success in hiring quality coordinators, I see only blue skies ahead . . .

In case anybody missed it, he also ranks Bill Doba, of Washington State, as one of the 5 worst coaches in the country. If Doba is really that bad of a coach, we might actually win our opening game this year.

244040[/snapback]

See Chan Gailey. :(

244117[/snapback]

Slink, that is GOOD for UVA!!! That is my point... It is kind of like saying that he has gotten Vandy to only a 7-8 win level. Compared to what they were before, that is great!

244123[/snapback]

UVA has always been a 7-8 win team

I would probably do it like this:

1. Petey Carrol. USC should be a powerhouse. Before Carrol it was not. Now it is the top program in the country. It is where Miami was a few years ago.

2. Kirk Ferenz. I have always loved this guy. Doing more with less and doing it the right way. The best team in the trenches year in and year out.

3. Bob Stoops. Still a great one. These top three cold all be tied. In college football consistency is the name of the game.

4. Mack Brown. I would have never put this had I not seen that stat "not won less than 9 games since 96." that is Bowden territory for consistency... in the a real conference. He won at UNC where most have struggled.

5. Mark Richt. I love Tubbs. and believe he will move up this list but right now Richt is the top dog in the conference.

6. Tommy Tuberville. I think he simply doesn't get the respect he deserves because he is not a big football guru (creating some new big time defensive or offensive scheme). He knows how to run a program and lead the men.

7. Steve Spurrier. Not the one i would hire but how can you not put this guy on this list? Was a top ten guy on most "all-time" lists and, unlike Bowden and Paterno, has not lost a step. See, last years miracle SC season.

8. Bobby Petrino. Who gave him his start has nothing to do with how good a coach he is. The guy is sky-rocketing up this chart. Only my respect for longevity keeps him below some of these guys. He was a genius while he was here. He is a genius in Louisville. He is the new Steve SPurrier of football.

9. Frank Beamer. Consistency. Took a dead program and made it a perrenial top ten team.

10. Joe Pa. Nothing needs to be said about top ten. Not number one? He is slipping.

Honorable Mention:

Jeff Tedford. easily the best coach not in the top ten based on College Head Coaching success. Anybody who gets Aaron Rogers, Kyle Boller, Akilli Smith, and Joey Harrington drafted in the first round knows how to tutor a QB and run an offense.

Urban Meyer. Not impressed during last season -playing with Zooks players, lost some he should have won, didn't win any that were that impressive. Was very impressed with recruiting effort.

Charlie Weiss. You have to love this guys fire and attiude. Improved the team a ton. Offensive genius. Will create a NFL factory from his pro experience. Showed that recruiting to ND wasn't as hard as the whiner before him suggested.

Gary Patterson. A solid guy getting exceptional results from a mediocre franchise.

Agree with Rodriquez and Leach.

244117[/snapback]

244123[/snapback]

UVA has always been a 7-8 win team

244200[/snapback]

I agree. Gettin 7-8 out of UVA is very average. Not impressive in the slightest. One 9-10 win season every 4 years at UVA is real good. two or more is excellent.

Wouldn't UT automatically go after that stellar "coach" currently prowling the sidelines in west vance?

244133[/snapback]

Joe Kines? :D

244133[/snapback]

Joe Kines? :D

244218[/snapback]

Keep up man...Dave Rader!

:big:

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/record...a=on&by=Win+Pct

All Time #57 Virginia 0.53333

UVA ranks 57th out of 117, midpoint would be 58th. Overall record is .533 or just over .500

In the :sec: , only :vandy: , :usc: , :uk: , :msu: rank worse.

Since 1950 #76 Virginia 0.46504

Since 1980 #35 Virginia 0.57630 They rank just ahead of :om:

UVA plays in the ACC where they have a whopping .400 record...

Against

FSU 2-12

GT 14-13

Clemson 8-35

Miami FL 0-3

NC 41-55

NCSU 20-32

Virginia is mediocrity. Groh is just getting it going finally after all these years.

In case anybody missed it, he also ranks Bill Doba, of Washington State, as one of the 5 worst coaches in the country. If Doba is really that bad of a coach, we might actually win our opening game this year.

244040[/snapback]

All the more reason :au: should have a death grip on the Cougars at halftime.

That cross country trip, probably high heat/ humidity, hungry crowd,

unfamiliar environment, well you get the picture.

AU 38

WSU 10

Archived