Northwestern Coach Randy Walker dies

channonc

I know their team isn't good, or even in our conference,but this just seems like a very sad situation, and a blow to the whole team.

Northwestern football coach Randy Walker dies

Evanston, IL (Sports Network) - Northwestern head football coach Randy Walker passed away Thursday night after suffering an apparent heart attack. He was 52 years old.

In October of 2004, Walker was hospitalized for two days with myocarditis, defined as an inflammation of the heart muscle. Myocarditis is most commonly caused by a virus, which doctors believe triggers the initial inflammation.

Walker, who joined the Wildcats in 1999 after a successful nine-year tenure at Miami-Ohio, guided Northwestern to a seven-year record of 37-46. That's the second-most wins in school history.

"Our deepest sympathies go out to his wife, Tammy, and his two children, Abbey and Jamie," Northwestern athletic director Mark Murphy said. "This is a devastating loss, not only for our athletic program, but for the entire Northwestern community. Randy truly embraced Northwestern and its mission, and cared deeply for his student-athletes, both on and off the field."

Walker engineered the Wildcats to a share of the 2000 Big Ten title and a trip to the Alamo Bowl. Northwestern also played in the 2003 Motor City Bowl and the 2005 Sun Bowl, making him the first coach in school history to guide the Wildcats to three bowl games.

A native of Troy, Ohio, Walker left Miami as the RedHawks' winningest coach with a 59-35-5 record. Northwestern begins its 2006 season with its first-ever trip to Oxford, Ohio, to play Miami in a nationally televised game on August 31.

STORY

I read this morning that the coach died and I was very sad for his family, the school and team. My dad is also 52 and a football coach and reading that story immediately made me think about him. My dad has been majorly stressed out this past year because of Hurricane Katrina and because his home was severely damaged by the storm. He doesn't deal with stress well and if anything would shorten his life on earth, it would be a heart attack. Weird how sad stories make you think of your family.

I went to the NW site to express sympathy and found a message supposedly from an Auburn person whose avatar/sig was the tasteless picture of "Bryant's skull dug up at BDS".

What a jerk.

I would like to think it was someone trying to defame AU, but I'm afraid not.

Sad news. Prayers are sent to the Walker family and to the fans of NW and M-O.

Wow, that's awful. He seemed to be a good guy and really turning that program around. I actually have a friend whose dad went there so he is somewhat of a NW fan and another friend who has family who are NW alum and is planning on attending NW after graduation this upcoming year. My condolences go out to Randy Walker's family. That is really sad to hear.

FAR too young. May God Bless and comfort his family.

RW was a really really good coach. NW was the Duke or Vandy of the Big Ten, but he had coached them up to be a real player in the conference.

Life is short, very short.

I guess that is why the thing that follows life is so much more important.

You never know do you?

Archived