Sooner News: Stoops Uncomfortable,

DKW 86

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/14938016.htm

Stoops unsure about lofty rankings

FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Thursday he is "not comfortable" with preseason projections in two national magazines that have the Sooners ranked No. 1 heading into the college football season.

Oklahoma returns 15 starters from an 8-4 team, led by tailback Adrian Peterson, a Heisman Trophy candidate. But Stoops said experience is lacking.

"Our guys are fairly young still," said Stoops, reflecting on proclamations of OU as No. 1 by Athlon and Phil Steele's College Football Preview.

"With a young team, some guys think they're pretty good when they're not yet. They believe they've arrived when they haven't done anything....So, I'll have to talk to them [about that]. It shouldn't take real long."

Motivated by dad

Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson said his father's impending release from prison will be a motivating factor for him this season.

The elder Peterson, who was sent to federal prison in 1999 for laundering money for the sale of drugs, is in a halfway house hoping to be released "maybe in a couple of months," Adrian Peterson said Thursday.

Ideally, said the Sooners' tailback, Nelson Peterson will be in attendance for Oklahoma's season opener, Sept. 2 against Alabama-Birmingham in Norman, Okla.

"Being able to see him in the stands, that's going to be great," said Peterson, whose father was incarcerated when he was in seventh grade.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14934140.htm

Yo, Adrian! Heisman or beat Texas?

BLAIR KERKHOFF

The Kansas City Star

Previous columns

College sports Q&A with Blair

A 30-minute session with reporters Thursday turned into the Cedric Benson test for Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson.

Remember when Benson told a radio station two years ago he’s rather win the Heisman Trophy than beat Oklahoma? Turned out, Benson did neither and came across as selfish.

So, Peterson, whose second-place Heisman finish two years ago was the best for a freshman, got the multiple-choice quiz.

“Adrian, would you rather win the Heisman or beat Texas?”

“Absolutely beat Texas,” Peterson said.

“Would you rather win the Heisman or the national championship?”

“No doubt winning a national championship would be my pick,” Peterson said. “Winning a national championship is a goal we set as a team. That’s what matters.”

“Would you rather win the Heisman or be the No. 1 draft pick?”

“That’s a tough one,” Peterson said. “I’d say the Heisman. It’s been a dream of mine since I was a little kid.”

It was something of a jolt to Peterson last December when he watched Reggie Bush win the Heisman. Peterson was home sitting on his couch. “Man, I was there last year,” Peterson said. “I’ll use that as motivation this year.”

Sooners coach Bob Stoops, also on the call, got perturbed when he was asked whether Peterson’s playing time would adjust based on the strength of the opponent.

“Yeah, we’re going to run him five or 10 times (in easy games), then in the big games turn him loose,” Stoops mocked.

The idea, Stoops said, is to try to get Peterson 2,000 yards rushing and 500 receiving and keep him as fresh and healthy as possible. Peterson suffered a high ankle sprain early last year which forced him to miss at least one half of play in four games. He still led Big 12 running backs with 1,104 rushing yards.

Picking the Big 12

The preview magazines are out, and the consensus of five — Street & Smith’s, Lindy’s, The Sporting News, Athlon’s and Phil Steele’s Yearbook — has Notre Dame, Ohio State and Oklahoma as the top national contenders.

Athlon’s and Phil Steele rank the Sooners No. 1. The Sporting News and Lindy’s pick the Irish and Street & Smith’s tabs the Buckeyes.

Most interesting top-10 picks: Phil Steele ranks Louisville third. The Cardinals visit Kansas State on Sept. 23.

In the Big 12, all magazines pick Nebraska to win the North, but second place ranges from Iowa State to Kansas to Colorado. The books are split on Oklahoma and Texas. Three pick the Longhorns to take the South.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still think the Horns are going to be tough, but with an inexperienced QB look for them to drop a game or two. I think OU will be good. QB with a year under his belt, a RB that rushed for 1,104 last year with a high ankle sprain that kept out several games :blink: They should stick around the top 10 most of the year. Doesn't Nebraska have a new coach?? I'll take OU as south champs and Iowa St as north.

lot of people have been down on bill callaghan and nebraska, but they will be better this year. also, colorado will be improved. the big 12 north is not better, just more competitive and evenly balanced than the south. i hope that no team comes out of the big 12 undefeated. also remember, oklahoma has to go to Oregon, which really is pretty tough to play (obviously not as tough as in the sec) and texas has ohio st. to open the season. it could be that the top 2 teams have out of conference losses this year. hopefully auburn won't have one to start the season. :puke:

Stoops uncomfortable

244461[/snapback]

UPDATE!!

Stoops is feeling much better now - he saw his proctologist, who successfully removed ESPN.......

Archived