Richt Picking qbs

DKW 86

http://www.ajc.com/today/content/epaper/ed...ea21e900ea.html

GEORGIA FOOTBALL

Carter Strickland - Staff

Friday, June 30, 2006

Battle for No. 1 QB likely to have fallout

Everybody has been waiting and waiting and waiting for Mark Richt to make a decision on Georgia's starting quarterback.

The fans are ready to embrace the new guy. The team is ready to rally behind Joe Tereshinski, Blake Barnes, Joe Cox or Matthew Stafford.

But in all of the hype and excitement, what Richt must be ready to deal with is the fallout. One guy will get picked. Three will not.

"There is going to be a point where will have to narrow it down maybe to just one and it will be interesting to see how the young men react who aren't named the starter or in that top two," Richt said.

Tereshinski, the frontrunner to start the opener, has a pretty good idea of how the losers in this battle might react.

When asked if he thought any might transfer, he said, "I would like for them all to stay. But there are three quarterbacks back to back to back years [in college] and it would be hard, depending on what happens, for some of them to stay, I bet."

Barnes, Cox and Stafford all have multiple years of eligibility left. But Barnes and Cox have used their redshirt years.

Barnes, a sophomore, has said he'd have a hard time leaving Georgia. Cox, a freshman, has said he'd have a hard time staying if he didn't get playing time.

The decision on the starter is expected to come in the latter stages of fall camp. That timeline would allow a player to transfer to another school before it started and not lose an extra semester.

Of course, they may all stay.

"You never know what is going to happen," Tereshinski said.

Bryant, Henderson Howard turn heads

The three players who've turned the most heads this offseason have been defensive end Marcus Howard and wide receivers A.J. Bryant and Mikey Henderson.

Howard is currently behind Quentin Moses at defensive end.

"I don't know if he's the most underrated guy, but he's a very underrated guy for us," Richt said. "He's not a youngster, but he's a guy who's really grown into that defensive end position. He's not real tall, but he's so powerful and fast."

Bryant, who has been plagued by injuries, and Henderson, who just switched over from defense, have both made huge strides, Tereshinski said.

Bryant, a junior, is listed behind Kenneth Harris at flanker. Henderson, also a junior, is behind Bryant. But he was the star of the spring and might move up.

"[Henderson] is quicker and faster than just about anyone out there," Tereshinski said. "I worked with him a lot in May and his hands have gotten a lot better. He could be a playmaker."

I've heard it will likely be Stafford to start.

My money is on Joe T starting against Western Kentucky....but Stafford seeing playing time off the bench.

Depending on how the first game goes, it will not surprise me if Stafford is starting against S. Carolina.

I know they like how stafford has done so far but he doesn't have any game experience. they won't start him to begin with. that could kill his career

Richt is a good coach and will make the right decision. I would look for at least one of the young guns to transfer elsewhere.

Archived