Ranking the SEC Programs

Aubie16

This could provide a little discussion during the slow off-season...a writer with the Gainesville Sun gave his rankings and reasoning...

Last year's rankings are in parentheses).

1. Georgia (4): No team has been as successful in the last four years. Georgia has played in three of the four SEC title games, winning two of them. Mark Richt has built a powerful program — even with a lack of success against Florida — and is doing it the right way. Athletic director Damon Evans has settled into the job, the facilities are excellent and the fan base is as good as any. The Bulldogs aren't going away.

2. Auburn (5): Now that it seems as if Tommy Tuberville is entrenched after the bizarre situation a couple of years ago, Auburn is moving forward with strength and unity. The stadium is my favorite in the conference so it's a good thing to see Florida heading back there this season. Solid recruiting and a string of excellent seasons make the Tigers one of the South's most powerful programs.

3. LSU (1): It's not that LSU has slipped as much as the other two have pushed past the Tigers. Les Miles is in his second year and his recruiting has picked up right where Nick Saban's left off. The newly refurbished stadium was delayed by Hurricane Katrina and the storm also made life hectic in Baton Rouge. But this year, things will be as close to normal as they can be.

4. Florida (2): Florida certainly has a fan base that is awesome, a stadium that is amazing and a coach in Urban Meyer who has a year of experience in the SEC under his belt. But the Gators haven't been to a BCS bowl game since 2001 and haven't played for the conference title since 2000. We all know what Meyer has done as a recruiter, but he's still fighting to get attitudes where he wants them.

5. Alabama (7): Just a year ago, Mike Shula was on the hotseat. Now he's getting asked for autographs in church. Nobody can match the Tide's tradition and the stadium expansion will only add to the religious experience that is Alabama football.

6. Tennessee (3): Last year was a nightmare for the Vols and coach Phil Fulmer, but he brought a lot of the headaches on himself with some of the players he recruited. David Cutcliffe should return some stability to the coaching staff and the stadium is the biggest the league has to offer.

7. South Carolina (7): The head coach knows what he is doing, but he's still struggling to get his players on the same page. Steve Spurrier has an excellent stadium and a rabid bunch of fans, but he'll be the first to tell you the facilities aren't what they should be.

8. Arkansas (6): The Razorbacks have been a major disappointment the last two years, but recruiting has picked up drastically. We'll have to wait and see if that was only because there was so much talent in the homestate. Facilities are solid, but Houston Nutt has to change the culture of losing.

9. Mississippi (10): Ed Orgeron surprised a lot of people with a strong recruiting season so the talent is improving. But it's still not where it needs to be and neither are the facilities.

10. Vanderbilt (11): Jay Cutler is gone and it will be a struggle for Bobby Johnson to get the Commodores into the top four in the SEC East. Being an afterthought in your own town doesn't help matters. Neither does a high school stadium.

11. Mississippi State (9): Sylvester Croom still has a long way to go to get this program back on track.

12. Kentucky (12): The coach probably only has a year to get things headed in the right direction, but now that the baseball team hosted a regional and won the SEC East, the football team may be the third most popular team on campus.

Personally I agree with Georgia being number 1 as of right now, based purely on SEC championships and BCS Bowl appearences...

After that I think Auburn and LSU could be 2A and 2B based on the fact that neither team can beat the other on the road (I hope that holds true this year!)

:uga: has been the most consistent in recent years. :au: and :lsu: are in a dead heat for 2nd right now. Although the Vols sucked last season and Bama won 10 games, I'd still put the Vols ahead of UAT.

No way UGA can go above AU. Tuberville is 5-2 vs them and has the winningest SEC record this decade. To bad we have to deal with LSU every year, when we lose to them, we TIE for the west when we beat them we WIN the west. UGA only has 2 SEC titles because they get to ATL more based on being in the east.

The East is still tough, just not 1990's tough. UT should be ahead of Bama on that list because of better overall record, SEC record, and head to head over the last few seasons. South Carolina is going to have a hard time cracking the top 6 and staying there in the SEC.

The East is still tough, just not 1990's tough. UT should be ahead of Bama on that list because of better overall record, SEC record, and head to head over the last few seasons. South Carolina is going to have a hard time cracking the top 6 and staying there in the SEC.

245143[/snapback]

By your metrics, Bama should then be ahead of UF.

245143[/snapback]

245157[/snapback]

WAKE UP bg ! ! ! :roflol::roflol::poke:

245143[/snapback]

245157[/snapback]

245175[/snapback]

We beat UF 31-3 and if we beat them in Gainsville it will be 4 straight.

10. Vanderbilt (11): Jay Cutler is gone and it will be a struggle for Bobby Johnson to get the Commodores into the top four in the SEC East. Being an afterthought in your own town doesn't help matters. Neither does a high school stadium

I like Vandy's stadium, it's perfect for them and it's a fun stadium to visit.

Nice change from the huge mega stadiums that are becoming the norm.

Not many high schools have a stadium like Vandy's.

245143[/snapback]

245157[/snapback]

245175[/snapback]

We beat UF 31-3 and if we beat them in Gainsville it will be 4 straight.

245180[/snapback]

I was going on the past few seasons, not just 2005 alone.

Thats fair. But a team that goes from 4-9 to 6-6 and then 10-2 with a cotton bowl win...in my opinion shows a steady improvement. To say UT should be ahead of a 10-2 team after finishing what 3-8 and losing to said team...is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Thats fair. But a team that goes from 4-9 to 6-6 and then 10-2 with a cotton bowl win...in my opinion shows a steady improvement. To say UT should be ahead of a 10-2 team after finishing what 3-8 and losing to said team...is a bit of a stretch IMO.

245248[/snapback]

I happen to have Lindy's at the computer desk and I looked up the 4 year standings for the SEC.

:ut: -33-17 overall

21-11 SEC

3 Bowl games

2 SEC Championship Apperances

:ua: - 30-20 overall

17-15 SEC

1 Bowl Game

0 SEC Championship Apperances

BG you are correct that Bama has improved over the last 3 years, but UT's numbers are slightly better, even if head to head is 2-2.

Yeah but its what its the state of the program right now. And id say UA is in better shape overall than is UT. The vols have shown a downward spiral and UA an upward one. And remember, we would have had a bowl game and an SECCG appearance in 02 had we not been on probation.

It could go either way...i think this season will tell a lot about the SEC.

Not much to gripe about. The way I see it, the SEC, as its tands today, breaks down into four tiers:

TIER 1 - UGA, Auburn, LSU

Collectively own the last five SEC titles. Give UGA the nod based on stability.

TIER 2 - Florida, Tennessee, uat

Shula seems to be righting the ship, slowly but surely, but this year will tell a lot . . . (read: Better find the end zone, Mikey.) UF and UT maybe have better talent, but both carry significant baggage. That said, watch out for the Vols if Coach Cut can get Ainge's head straight. Honeymoon's over in Gainesville - it's Put Up or Shut Up Time for for The Pope.

TIER 3 - Arkansas, South Carolina

Arkansas is tumbling, but has a chance (read: 19 or so starters returning, favorable schedule) to turn it around this year. South Carolina made a move last year, but can Coach Superior sustain the momentum with less talent and experience?

TIER 4 - Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky

Remains to be seen whether Coach O(ut of His Mind) can make Ole Miss relevant again. As for State, it's looking worse instead of better. Are Vandy and UK playing football this year?

Yeah but its what its the state of the program right now. And id say UA is in better shape overall than is UT. The vols have shown a downward spiral and UA an upward one. And remember, we would have had a bowl game and an SECCG appearance in 02 had we not been on probation.

It could go either way...i think this season will tell a lot about the SEC.

245267[/snapback]

The Vols have shown a downward spiral ever since 1998, but I think their program is in slightly better shape than Bama's because of probation. In a few years once Bama gets back to full strength and Cutcliffe is settled back in at Knoxville then we will see how UT and UA fair in the SEC landscape. I think Bama's upward spiral will stall a tad this year with such personel losses on the defensive side of the ball and a new starting qb. Tennnessee has as good a shot as UGA and UF in the East because all three teams have question marks and none of them look like a clear cut winner till the season starts.

Archived