Barkley for Governor!!

mayonaise

I like Barkley and all, War Eagle, blah, blah, blah....but I'm not voting for anyone that that crook Siegleman backs. Sorry.

"I was a Republican until they lost their minds," he said earlier this month at a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada.

:lol: That's so funny that I don't even have to say anything. Wow. Just wait until he finds out what the other side is all about.

I like Barkley and all, War Eagle, blah, blah, blah....but I'm not voting for anyone that that crook Siegleman backs. Sorry.
"I was a Republican until they lost their minds," he said earlier this month at a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada.

:lol: That's so funny that I don't even have to say anything. Wow. Just wait until he finds out what the other side is all about.

252403[/snapback]

Cpt. Liger, if I'm not mistaken, you said in some other post that you're a signal officer, yes? If so, why do you use the cavalry swords as a branch insignia on your vanity thingy???

252403[/snapback]

Cpt. Liger, if I'm not mistaken, you said in some other post that you're a signal officer, yes? If so, why do you use the cavalry swords as a branch insignia on your vanity thingy???

252415[/snapback]

Glad to see your liberal butt TA! What have you been up too?

I like Barkely, but I would not vote for him regardless of the party he ran for.

I don't think Liger is a signal officer. He is going to signal school, but is for something related to his command. Or it could be that he is using them because he was Calvary at one time. Heck, I went to signal school also for the National Guard, but I also show my pride in all of the different branches I was in (infantry, ordnance, and signal). He explained why he was at Ft. Gordon in school to me one time, but I have forgotten the specifics.

252403[/snapback]

252415[/snapback]

Glad to see your liberal butt TA! What have you been up too?

I like Barkely, but I would not vote for him regardless of the party he ran for.

I don't think Liger is a signal officer. He is going to signal school, but is for something related to his command. Or it could be that he is using them because he was Calvary at one time. Heck, I went to signal school also for the National Guard, but I also show my pride in all of the different branches I was in (infantry, ordnance, and signal). He explained why he was at Ft. Gordon in school to me one time, but I have forgotten the specifics.

252422[/snapback]

I'm at Ft. Gordon going through the Signal Captain's Career Course. It's a "check the block" sort of course before I can take command of a company.

I am a signal officer by branch, always have been. Communications is my occupational specialty, if you will. I use sabers because I've always been in cavalry units with the exception of my platoon leader and executive officer time in 3rd Signal Brigade which is the orange patch with the blue star and three lightning bolts. I served in the 1st Cavalry Division for three years and within it was assigned to a battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment as an S6. My particular unit was a mechanized infantry battalion so naturally it was all infantry officers with the exception of myself and the S2. Regardless of branch we all wore cavalry sabers on our left collar because of tradition. I haven't worn signal flags on my collar since May 2003. Cavalry, the branch, doesn't officially exist anymore. It went away when the Army turned in its horses back in the 40's but units that kept the cavalry designation also kept the traditions of such. I love cavalry units. I'm airborne qualified but I have no desire to ever be in such a unit. Just give me my cavalry stetson, a track vehicle, and my M4 carbine and I'm good to go. And now that I have orders sending me to the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment you can bet those sabers in my signature aren't going anywhere. I'm a Cavalry officer...if you will. And damn proud of it.

Hope that clears that up. Charge. cavalry4.gif

He'll probably run as an independent. He is a conservative, but I don't believe he is a democrat or liberal. He's probably just like everyone else, fiscal conservative. And, I'll bet he isn't a warmonger.

Hope that clears that up. Charge.  cavalry4.gif

252438[/snapback]

Not really...but that's OK.

252441[/snapback]

You asked me why I use sabers. I told you why I use sabers. I don't know how to further simplify it for you short of breaking out a pack of crayons and drawing you a picture....but that's OK.

252438[/snapback]

252441[/snapback]

You asked me why I use sabers. I told you why I use sabers. I don't know how to further simplify it for you short of breaking out a pack of crayons and drawing you a picture....but that's OK.

252445[/snapback]

You don't have to get snotty about it. It seems a little odd, like a guy in medical service corps throwing up the crossed rifles because he's in an infantry unit. He's not an infantryman, he's medical service. If you want to be a cavalryman why don't you change to 12C?

252438[/snapback]

252441[/snapback]

252445[/snapback]

You don't have to get snotty about it. It seems a little odd, like a guy in medical service corps throwing up the crossed rifles because he's in an infantry unit. He's not an infantryman, he's medical service. If you want to be a cavalryman why don't you change to 12C?

252449[/snapback]

Because the infantry branch IS STILL a branch. If I were in an infantry unit that carried an infantry designation in it's name, e.g. 3rd BN, 15th IN, I would not be able to wear cross rifles. The cavalry branch does not exist as a separate branch any more and hasn't existed for over 60 years. However, certain units, like those in the 1st Cavalry Division, kept the cavalry designation in their names, e.g. 2nd BN, 7th CAV even after they turned their horses in and reorganized as infantry/armor units. Why did they do this? They wanted to carry on the history of the cavalry and its unit traditions. So even though I was in an infantry unit, by MTOE, we were called a cavalry unit and we all wore sabers on our collar for the sake of tradition...even the medical officer, the PAs, and the surgeon.

The 12 series MOS at one time was Engineers. They are now 21 series. There is no 12 series MOS anymore. 19D is classified as a cavalry scout and is the closest thing to true cavalry that the Army has to offer but it is available only to enlisted soldiers and it falls within the control of the Armor branch, 19 series.

Hey, I like Charles. But he's not governor material.

Look, guys. We've had a string of disastrous governors: Wallace, Brewer, James, Wallace, Hunt, Folsom, James, and Siegelman. Suddenly, by sheer accident, we actually have a governor who is both honest AND extremely competent. The result? We now have a big surplus, governmental services have never been better, corrupt officials are being weeded out (example being the 2-year college president being tossed out), school test scores are way up, new industry coming to the state, etc. etc. etc.

In short, Riley has shown what happens when we actually vote in a serious man who's serious about running this state. Considering the parade of buffoons we've had in the governor's mansion, why on earth would we elect a freaking basketball player to public office now? Haven't we learned our lesson?

252438[/snapback]

252441[/snapback]

252445[/snapback]

252449[/snapback]

Because the infantry branch IS STILL a branch. If I were in an infantry unit that carried an infantry designation in it's name, e.g. 3rd BN, 15th IN, I would not be able to wear cross rifles. The cavalry branch does not exist as a separate branch any more and hasn't existed for over 60 years. However, certain units, like those in the 1st Cavalry Division, kept the cavalry designation in their names, e.g. 2nd BN, 7th CAV even after they turned their horses in and reorganized as infantry/armor units. Why did they do this? They wanted to carry on the history of the cavalry and its unit traditions. So even though I was in an infantry unit, by MTOE, we were called a cavalry unit and we all wore sabers on our collar for the sake of tradition...even the medical officer, the PAs, and the surgeon.

The 12 series MOS at one time was Engineers. They are now 21 series. There is no 12 series MOS anymore. 19D is classified as a cavalry scout and is the closest thing to true cavalry that the Army has to offer but it is available only to enlisted soldiers and it falls within the control of the Armor branch, 19 series.

252508[/snapback]

Then why not change to 19 series?

Hey, I like Charles. But he's not governor material.

Look, guys. We've had a string of disastrous governors: Wallace, Brewer, James, Wallace, Hunt, Folsom, James, and Siegelman. Suddenly, by sheer accident, we actually have a governor who is both honest AND extremely competent. The result? We now have a big surplus, governmental services have never been better, corrupt officials are being weeded out (example being the 2-year college president being tossed out), school test scores are way up, new industry coming to the state, etc. etc. etc.

In short, Riley has shown what happens when we actually vote in a serious man who's serious about  running this state. Considering the parade of buffoons we've had in the governor's mansion, why on earth would we elect a freaking basketball player to public office now? Haven't we learned our lesson?

252525[/snapback]

And he did it all without an education lottery! Something that Siegleman and his supporters said could not be done. :roflol:

Hey, it ticks me off that we don't have a lottery. I don't think it's the be-all end-all solution to anything, but I just like being able to buy my Powerball ticket once a week.

Tiger Al, forgive my ignorance of the protocols in military world, but why are you busting his chops about this?

252578[/snapback]

I'm not busting his chops, I'm just asking a question or two. Placards, such as his vanity thingy, often have the persons rank, name and Army branch insignia on them, like his does. However, Liger is a Signal Corps officer but he puts the crossed sabers (Cavalry) on his because he's in a Cav unit. I guess there's nothing wrong, per se, with doing that. I'm in a Medical unit and would find it just as odd if he used the Medical Corps insignia instead of his Signal Corps insignia, which is HIS insignia, because he was in a med unit. I'm not calling him a poser or anything, but it would seem to me that if he's that enamored with the Cav, then why not fully commit and become an Armor officer or an aviator because that's what the Cavalry is now. I get the tradition and history thing and if he were trained in armor or aviation it would make sense, but he's a signal officer so it makes no more sense than if he were using the Chemical Corps insignia because he was the coms officer in a chemical unit.

252438[/snapback]

252441[/snapback]

252445[/snapback]

252449[/snapback]

252508[/snapback]

Then why not change to 19 series?

252546[/snapback]

Believe me, I've tried. But 19 series is Armor. There is no series for Cavalry because Cavalry does not exist as a specific, separate branch.

However, Liger is a Signal Corps officer but he puts the crossed sabers (Cavalry) on his because he's in a Cav unit. I guess there's nothing wrong, per se, with doing that.

252610[/snapback]

No, there isn't anything wrong with it at all. In cavalry units it is the norm for ALL officers, REGARDLESS of parent branch to sport cavalry sabers on their uniform. If I were ever assigned to an airborne division or a regular infantry division I would wear my signal flags. In a cavalry unit infantry officers wear sabers, armor officers wear sabers, engineer officers wear sabers, chemical officers wear sabers, medical officers wear sabers, signal officers wear sabers, ordnance officers wear sabers, quartermaster officers wear sabers, artillery officers wear sabers, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I'm in a Medical unit and would find it just as odd if he used the Medical Corps insignia instead of his Signal Corps insignia, which is HIS insignia, because he was in a med unit.

252610[/snapback]

Since the medical service corps is still an active branch then I'd find it odd too if I were wearing your branch insignia. This statement above convinces me that you either 1.) haven't grasped the concept I've been trying to explain -or- 2.) you're just being a knucklehead and want to stir the pot.

I'm not calling him a poser or anything, but it would seem to me that if he's that enamored with the Cav, then why not fully commit and become an Armor officer or an aviator because that's what the Cavalry is now.

252610[/snapback]

Do you know what the traditional mission of the cavalry is/was? It's mission was to conduct reconnaissance and screening missions. It's purpose was not to fix the enemy and destroy it. True, with the advent of the tank, and later helicopters, traditional horse cavalry went the way of the do-do. Armor and Aviation emerged as two completely separate branches with two completely different missions. Armor's sole purpose is to fix and destroy the enemy and support an infantry advance. A 70 ton tank with a turbine engine isn't the best tool for a recon mission. Aviation has two purposes. One is to support forces on the ground by provding lift assets and the other is an attack mission. Helicopters can and do conduct recon missions but that isn't their sole purpose in life. You can make a good argument that Armor and Aviation are today's Cavalry but in all actuality, they aren't. The Cavalry today exists only in name. If it were still an official, active branch of the Army then I wouldn't be wearing it and neither would any other officer that wasn't branched "cavalry."

I get the tradition and history thing and if he were trained in armor or aviation it would make sense, but he's a signal officer so it makes no more sense than if he were using the Chemical Corps insignia because he was the coms officer in a chemical unit.

252610[/snapback]

No, I don't think that you do get it otherwise this conversation would have been over after my response to your initial question. You've obviously never served in a cavalry unit. I'm not trying to insinuate that you're less of a soldier because of such by any means but I understand if you don't comprehend why officers wear cavalry insignia in cavalry units regardless of their parent branch. I guess you'd just have to be in one to understand.

At any rate, how bout that Charles Barkley character?

Archived