Hi, Do you think....

aubie123

HI everyone, how many people think Auburn will come out flat for the opener. Much like the USC game in 03' and GT last year. I will be extremely angry if they come out flat again. I love Coach Tubs, but if they're flat it can only be his fault becuase the coordinators weren't there in 03'. That leaves Coach Tubs as the common denomenator. What can or will he do different this year to motivate the team for the first game? I think DC Will Muschamp will have the D ready. What do you ya'll think? WAR DAMN EAGLE

Not to jump on the post…but…basically, that’s one way to look at it. Another way is to look at how Tubberville has had our team ready to play SEC teams almost every time out.

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I don't go into the season thinking we "should" win this game and that game. Reason being, there's more talent spread out in the college ranks than there ever has been. It's the depth of talent that tends to separate great teams from good teams and coaching that matches the strengths of their teams.

ANYONE can beat anyone any week. I can remember a few LA Tech games that were REALLY close ones. There was a Syracuse game that according to the experts "shouldn't have been close" when they came to the Plains....but it was. Double OT if I remember right.

Would I be disappointed that we lost the first game....yeah. Would I be angry. Nope ..unless there's some sort of obvious no-call from a ref that causes the game to swing the wrong way, but either way, I'm not going to be "mad" at the team. It's too long of a season to be yelling "off with his head" right out of the gates. Like I said, I might be in the minority with this train of thought.

With that said, I would expect that the team is taking all the steps they feel are needed to be prepared to play a tough WSU team.

Not to jump on the post…but…basically, that’s one way to look at it.  Another way is to look at how Tubberville has had our team ready to play SEC teams almost every time out.

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I don't go into the season thinking we "should" win this game and that game.  Reason being, there's more talent spread out in the college ranks than there ever has been.  It's the depth of talent that tends to separate great teams from good teams and coaching that matches the strengths of their teams.

ANYONE can beat anyone any week.  I can remember a few LA Tech games that were REALLY close ones. There was a Syracuse game that according to the experts "shouldn't have been close" when they came to the Plains....but it was.  Double OT if I remember right. 

Would I be disappointed that we lost the first game....yeah.  Would I be angry. Nope ..unless there's some sort of obvious no-call from a ref that causes the game to swing the wrong way, but either way, I'm not going to be "mad" at the team.  It's too long of a season to be yelling "off with his head" right out of the gates. Like I said, I might be in the minority with this train of thought.

With that said, I would expect that the team is taking all the steps they feel are needed to be prepared to play a tough WSU team.

252497[/snapback]

I am not saying "off with his head" if AU loses the first game. I want Coach Tuberville to be at AU for years to come. I am just saying that I'd be angry. I am one of those that wants to win every game. I don't mind losing a hard fought battle as long as AU is not flat and looks well-prepared (LSU game last year). I DO NOT like losing games like the USC game two years back, the GT game last year and the Wisconsin game. Those losses and performances make me angry. That's all I am saying. I'm sure that CTT has learned and will have them ready. WAR EAGLE

HI everyone, how many people think Auburn will come out flat for the opener.  Much like the USC game in 03' and GT last year.  I will be extremely angry if they come out flat again.  I love Coach Tubs, but if they're flat it can only be his fault becuase the coordinators weren't there in 03'. That leaves Coach Tubs as the common denomenator.  What can or will he do different this year to motivate the team for the first game?  I think DC Will Muschamp will have the D ready.  What do you ya'll think?  WAR DAMN EAGLE

252487[/snapback]

Let me turn the questions around for you. Do you think that Tubs and the staff won't do everything possible to have the team ready to play? Then if the players do come out flat whose fault is that? In that case who will you be mad at?

HI everyone, how many people think Auburn will come out flat for the opener.  Much like the USC game in 03' and GT last year.  I will be extremely angry if they come out flat again.  I love Coach Tubs, but if they're flat it can only be his fault becuase the coordinators weren't there in 03'. That leaves Coach Tubs as the common denomenator.  What can or will he do different this year to motivate the team for the first game?  I think DC Will Muschamp will have the D ready.  What do you ya'll think?   WAR DAMN EAGLE

252487[/snapback]

Let me turn the questions around for you. Do you think that Tubs and the staff won't do everything possible to have the team ready to play? Then if the players do come out flat whose fault is that? In that case who will you be mad at?

252506[/snapback]

Ok, dissapointed sad. Perhaps mad is the wrong adjective. You have made a valid point Proud and I concede victory to you. :) Thanks for the positive spin. One shouldn't get angry over a game anyway. But I would be heartbroken if they came out flat.

I don't know of any team that comes out flat in their first game. Usually, teams are so hyped to be hitting someone in a different jersey that "flatness" is usually not involved. I attribute the opener losses to "ill-preparedness". There's no excuse to come out flat against a USC or GT for that matter. I think last year was an anomaly because we had a green QB and no #1 RB.

Coming out flat is usually reserved for games like Kentucky last year. That's a game that you know you should win and win handily. You get complacent and easy victory looks less than pleasing, because the other team looked sharper than you.

That said, I'd be sorely upset if we didn't come out and take care of business against WSU.

I don't know of any team that comes out flat in their first game.  Usually, teams are so hyped to be hitting someone in a different jersey that "flatness" is usually not involved.  I attribute the opener losses to "ill-preparedness".  There's no excuse to come out flat against a USC or GT for that matter.  I think last year was an anomaly because we had a green QB and no #1 RB. 

Coming out flat is usually reserved for games like Kentucky last year.  That's a game that you know you should win and win handily.  You get complacent and easy victory looks less than pleasing, because the other team looked sharper than you.

That said, I'd be sorely upset if we didn't come out and take care of business against WSU.

252515[/snapback]

That is what I was trying to say. Thanks Rocket. WAR EAGLE

HI everyone, how many people think Auburn will come out flat for the opener.  Much like the USC game in 03' and GT last year.

252487[/snapback]

No way.

USC was not about coming out flat. It was about a coaching staff trying to keep players in check through all of the pre-season hype BS coming out ranked #1. We got beat by a team that was better on that day is the bottom line.

GT was not about coming out flat. It was about an offensive plan gamble that just flat out didn't work with a greenhorn offense. Look at the QB stats from that game. We got beat by a team that was better on that day is the bottom line.

Coaches wearing Capital One Bowl shirts and hats to practice and workouts...constantly reminding players "You are only as good as your last game"... that is the right approach IMHO. It basically says to the players that you are nothing until you prove it and the last time anyone saw you, you were getting owned.

They will be ready.

aubie 123....I wasn't trying to put any spin on it. How is asking questions "spinning" it?

RCT... I agree but I would add that it is really tough for a team to stay pumped up for 12 games in a row. Coaches try a lot of different approaches and if there was a sure fire way all of them would be using it. It takes a lot of psychology on the part of the coaches. A former captain of a bama team under Bryant, and a good friend of mine, told me that Coach Bryant was a very average game coach but he was a master at getting the team ready to play.

It is impossible for us fans to know if the coaches have done their best in the tam prepared. Sometimes the best preparations go awry when the game gets underway. Any suggestions on what the coaches should be doing differently ahead of time?

Not tobe a blind :homer: here, but I don't think AU was flat for either of those games. In the 2003 USC game, we didn't know it at the time, but we were facing the best team in the country and using the most predictable offense in the country. With the OC situation that was in place, we couldn't have won that game on our best day. Last year's GT game was more a product of not having our offense in place. At that point in the season, we had NO running game(which is a sure recipe for a loss at AU), and the game was in the hands of an inexperienced QB. Borges took the blame for that one saying that we couldn't put the game entirely in Cox's hands until he got some confidence. To his credit, he probably learned more in that game than the whole rest of his time here. Again, it wasn't a lack of motivation that lost the game.

Last year's bowl game was a flat performance. They just thought all they needed to do was show up and everything would be fine. That was partly CTT's fault for not recognizing that attitude and fixing it. Also, the seniors should have stepped up to help in that area. I don't think the other two games fall into that category.

I feel as though CTT will have these guys ready.

Not tobe a blind :homer: here, but I don't think AU was flat for either of those games. In the 2003 USC game, we didn't know it at the time, but we were facing the best team in the country and using the most predictable offense in the country. With the OC situation that was in place, we couldn't have won that game on our best day. Last year's GT game was more a product of not having our offense in place. At that point in the season, we had NO running game(which is a sure recipe for a loss at AU), and the game was in the hands of an inexperienced QB. Borges took the blame for that one saying that we couldn't put the game entirely in Cox's hands until he got some confidence. To his credit, he probably learned more in that game than the whole rest of his time here. Again, it wasn't a lack of motivation that lost the game.

Last year's bowl game was a flat performance. They just thought all they needed to do was show up and everything would be fine. That was partly CTT's fault for not recognizing that attitude and fixing it. Also, the seniors should have stepped up to help in that area. I don't think the other two games fall into that category.

252524[/snapback]

Good points.

I'm not expecting a perfect game or anything explosive for the season opener, but I suspect that CTT has learned a lesson from past season opening losses. I don't think he is going to let that happen again. He will make sure the players are ready. We will probably look a little flat in the first half, as most teams do for the first game of the year.

first of all I am glad to be back on the forum. I know nobody missed me, but I am glad to be back.

Actually I think we shall fair pretty well in the opener. We start 2 a days next week and the guys are ready to show the conference what they are made of. I think we will show up ready to play.

Thanks everyone for their input. I was confusing the difference between inexperience and coming out flat. A good example of coming out flat would be Bama at Auburn last year. :roflol:

Just hide all the whiskey and beer starting August 1st and we won't have what happened w/ Wisconsin! Stick to your guns and use you talents! :au:

I agree with all of the above, but I'd add that in both the '03 USC and last year's GT game AU was breaking in new coordinators - Hugh Nall as OC in '03, and Gibbs as DC last year. While the Gibbs experiment turned out at least marginally better than the Nall experiment, the defense often seemed confused against Tech, especially in the first half, and gave up way too many rushing yards against a team that was playing with an almost entirely new OL (4 new starters last year).

There's always talk about who's got how many starters coming back, but continuity in the coaching staff can be equally important. No matter how well you do your job, it takes time to implement your system - see Gene Chizik, 2002. (Even under CAB in 2004, it took CAB a few games to really get the offense clicking.)

That said, I feel much more confident about CWM coming and getting the D ready, and quick.

In any event, I don't expect a "flat" performance against Wazoo. Handled correctly, the Cap One debacle could be a great motivator - hopefully, the team believes it has something to prove, and it'll start proving it Sept 2.

For the '03 USC game, the team came out tentative, not flat. While the staff said that they were going to run Petrino's stuff, that's much easier said than done. I don't think they had any confidence whatsoever.

Carnell was still unsure about his mended leg. If you will recall, it was in the Vanderbilt game (third game) when he got a hell of a lick on that leg and it held up. He was a changed man from that moment on.

252524[/snapback]

I really thought the problem last season against GT was the passive agressive defensive strategy we employed. We gave up some yardage early that I thought we shouldn't have and our DBs got burned a couple of times.

252524[/snapback]

I really thought the problem last season against GT was the passive agressive defensive strategy we employed. We gave up some yardage early that I thought we shouldn't have and our DBs got burned a couple of times.

252787[/snapback]

i don't think a passive defense will be something we will have to worry about this year....i am concerned about an overaggressive one....i can promise you that muschamp is going to get after folks and you know that old axiom, "when you blitz, someone's band is going to play"....i hope its ours

Thanks everyone for their input.  I was confusing the difference between inexperience and coming out flat.  A good example of coming out flat would be Bama at Auburn last year.  :roflol:

252682[/snapback]

HAHA now you got it. :roflol:

War Eagle :au:

HI everyone, how many people think Auburn will come out flat for the opener.  Much like the USC game in 03' and GT last year.  I will be extremely angry if they come out flat again.  I love Coach Tubs, but if they're flat it can only be his fault becuase the coordinators weren't there in 03'. That leaves Coach Tubs as the common denomenator.  What can or will he do different this year to motivate the team for the first game?  I think DC Will Muschamp will have the D ready.  What do you ya'll think?   WAR DAMN EAGLE

252487[/snapback]

252506[/snapback]

Should our opinion be based on our last game???

Archived