UGA's Dixson's stint on offense ends early

DKW 86

http://www.ajc.com/wednesday/content/epape...ff413a0081.html

GEORGIA REPORT

Chip Towers - Staff

Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Dixson's stint on offense ends early

Athens --- The Dale Dixson-to-offense experiment lasted only one day.

Dixson, a fifth-year senior from Garland, Texas, who was moved to the offensive line Monday, was granted his request to move back to defensive line a day later.

"That experiment didn't go very well," coach Mark Richt said with a laugh. "It was a lot to ask a senior to do, and there is so much to learn on offense. We wanted to honor what Dale wanted to do."

Said Dixson: "Defense is where my heart is. Just being around the guys I've been working with for four or five years felt a lot more comfortable."

After being redshirted in 2002, Dixson was hampered by injuries and didn't get into a game in 2003. He played in 16 of Georgia's 25 games the past two seasons, registering seven tackles. He entered camp at No. 2 defensive tackle behind Ray Gant.

Dixson's move to offense was initiated when backup split guard Zeb McKinzey aggravated a shoulder injury Sunday. With McKinzey out, freshmen Chris Smith and Kevin Perez were alternating between second-team center and guard. Also, split guard Fernando Velasco on Tuesday began getting work at center.

Redshirt freshman Ian Smith is the No. 2 center but will miss the first two games due to disciplinary suspension and is being held out with an elbow injury.

Knee injury ends Coates' season

Tests Tuesday confirmed that redshirt freshman free safety Antavious Coates suffered a torn ACL in his right knee a day earlier. He's out for the season.

Coates had a torn ACL in his left knee as a high school senior and had to redshirt last season after aggravating that injury.

"They told me that there was a 70 percent chance that it would happen to my other knee," said Coates, on crutches as he watched Tuesday's practice. "I'm making it. I could be better. I've just got to work hard to get back on the field. But I'm a strong mind, so I don't have a problem."

Plan B is little relief against heat

The heat index was 125 degrees on the field turf where the Bulldogs normally practice. So they moved to the grass practice field, where it was 110.

"You could feel every degree of it, too," fullback Des Williams said.

Richt 'fired up' as practice intensifies

Richt raved about the quality of Tuesday's practice, the first in shoulder pads and helmets. "I was fired up," he said. "Guys were focused and flying around, and there were a lot of plays made on the ball." ... Season tickets went out Tuesday and should be arriving in mailboxes the next two days.

That wasn't going to last long anyway. He had no business switching over

What was he doing switching over, does uga have some depth issuse on offensive line?

No, we have severe depth issues on the OL

hmm didn't realize, with the depth issues and a new QB how do you think the offense will fare this season?

I think we will be fine on the whole.

We had terrible OL issues in 2003 as well and at 2004/2005...we looked terrible at times.

But, we got through them.

9-3 is my 2006 prediction.

slink, Although I REALLY enjoy a "W" over the leghumpers, I STILL think you guys will win the East again this year. Richt is a good enough Coach to overcome the growing pains. He will get 'em "coached up".

Archived