Few thoughts on the game and the Hunstville Times.

AUslug

Last night was a good game, rough in spots but hard to get too grumpy over a 40-14 win. I really like ESPN's pairing of Franklin and Cunningham, about the only thing they have done right when it comes to announcers or studio people. The Cunningham guy really did his reasearch and had several good things to say about Auburn and him and Ron seemed to have a good back and forth. Now, the Hunstville Times need some emails regarding their sunday coverage on the sports page. The front page has Bama, the unranked team that almost blew a 22-3 lead against a team from the WAC while #4 Auburn was on the back page after beating a Pac-10 foe 40-14. Yeah that makes real good sense there but then again I don't have to deal with Paul Gattis and his insistence that Bama is back and Darby is the best runningback ever.

Last night was a good game, rough in spots but hard to get too grumpy over a 40-14 win. I really like ESPN's pairing of Franklin and Cunningham, about the only thing they have done right when it comes to announcers or studio people. The Cunningham guy really did his reasearch and had several good things to say about Auburn and him and Ron seemed to have a good back and forth. Now, the Hunstville Times need some emails regarding their sunday coverage on the sports page. The front page has Bama, the unranked team that almost blew a 22-3 lead against a team from the WAC while #4 Auburn was on the back page after beating a Pac-10 foe 40-14. Yeah that makes real good sense there but then again I don't have to deal with Paul Gattis and his insistence that Bama is back and Darby is the best runningback ever.

Yeah, that aggravated me too about the Huntsville Times, but I think they rotate that every week and AU will be on the front.

Wow, I just saw Darby's #s. But according to BG03 (I think it was him, maybe it was WinCrimson or one of the other Bama guys on this board), if Darby had 4 more carries, he would've had 200 yards :lol: Granted I know he was a little banged up - but apparently he was healthy enough to be the starter and get 16 carries.

Darby needs to rest that hyper-extended knee properly, and get healthy enough to play an SEC schedule. It would be a shame if he's knocked out for the season because his coach insists he plays hurt.

Yeah, that aggravated me too about the Huntsville Times, but I think they rotate that every week and AU will be on the front.

So if they rotate it next week then AU will be on the cover against Miss St. And then the next week UA will be on the cover against LA Monroe and not us against LSU.

Wow, I just saw Darby's #s. But according to BG03 (I think it was him, maybe it was WinCrimson or one of the other Bama guys on this board), if Darby had 4 more carries, he would've had 200 yards :lol: Granted I know he was a little banged up - but apparently he was healthy enough to be the starter and get 16 carries.

I never said that.

KD was messed up yesterday. Plus, he had 8 Samoans ready to hit him right at the line as well. They stacked the box on every play... but our o-line did a great job of holding them out on the pass.

I agree with everyone. There's no doubt that Auburn had the better game and ultimately has the better team. We are breaking in alot of new personel so we'll come around, we didn't look terrible from what I saw. I know nothing about either team that our schools have played so it's kind of hard to make comparisons. I do feel like Hawaii has a better team than Wash St. but then again we'll have to see what these teams do later in the year to make a comparrison. Hats off to :au: ...Ya'll looked like a Top 5 team yesterday and :ua: will get better. We had alot of postives as well, we were just not as impressive as Auburn this past weekend. Watching :ut::uf::uga: and :lsu: this could be a big year for the SEC. It's going to be really hard to stay undefeated. If anyone from our conference is without a loss this year it will be hard to argue that they don't deserve to be in the NC game.

Darby needs to rest that hyper-extended knee properly, and get healthy enough to play an SEC schedule. It would be a shame if he's knocked out for the season because his coach insists he plays hurt.

They can't have it both ways. If he's hurt he shouldn't be playing in the 3rd qtr. and if he isn't hurt all that bad then they need to quit making excuses for him and get him well. Of course this is the same HC who let Brodie play hurt and get hurt worse , even after the game (Georgia) was out of reach. Of all the coaches I saw on TV highlights, Shula looks the most lost of them all. And when Kines leaves at the end of the season Shula is really in deep dodo.

Speaking of the Huntsville Times, McCarter said emphatically in his column last Friday that Simspon would not play. He wasn't happy today that he not only played but started and was critical of that decision. So much for discipline, and those here who said Simpson wouldn't miss a game were right on. Guess Shula like ice cream too.

Finally, on bama being on the front page, they stated on the front page of sports (top left) that they would alternate. I like it that way. Otherwise bama would be more prominent every Sunday.

I agree with everyone. There's no doubt that Auburn had the better game and ultimately has the better team. We are breaking in alot of new personel so we'll come around, we didn't look terrible from what I saw. I know nothing about either team that our schools have played so it's kind of hard to make comparisons. I do feel like Hawaii has a better team than Wash St. but then again we'll have to see what these teams do later in the year to make a comparrison. Hats off to :au: ...Ya'll looked like a Top 5 team yesterday and :ua: will get better. We had alot of postives as well, we were just not as impressive as Auburn this past weekend. Watching :ut::uf::uga: and :lsu: this could be a big year for the SEC. It's going to be really hard to stay undefeated. If anyone from our conference is without a loss this year it will be hard to argue that they don't deserve to be in the NC game.

I don't think Hawaii is a better team that WSU. Not by a half mile.

Funny.. My mom's husband (I don't claim as a step-dad) is a huge Alabama fan.. And I mentioned to him about how I was hoping that our 2 LBs would be able to play against LSU.. and he started rambling about that was what they deserved.. and that Tuberville has to do that to let the players know. But right before that, he was talking about how Simpson was tested negative for marijuana, and how he didn't get in trouble for the guns. So he acted like he should start. I've known people to go to prison for posession of marijuana, or just being at a drug deal.. so I think it is a pretty big deal to have marijuana on you, no matter if it is in your system or not.

The Huntsville Time has always had a Bammer bias. I saw that we made the back cover of SEC section and almost :puke: I'm sure when UAT rolls up Florida International they will have a front page full cover spread... go figure.

Finally, on bama being on the front page, they stated on the front page of sports (top left) that they would alternate. I like it that way. Otherwise bama would be more prominent every Sunday.

I understand your point but if they alternate as is we have this schedule.

UA vs. Hawaii 9/2

AU vs. Ms. State 9/9

UA vs. La Monroe 9/16

AU vs. Buffalo 9/23

UA vs. Florida 9/28

AU vs. Arkansas 10/7

UA vs. Ole Miss 10/14

AU vs. Tulane 10/21

UA vs. Fla Int 10/28

AU vs. Arkansas St 11/04

UA vs. LSU 11/11

AU vs. UA 11/18

Auburn has decent games with Arky and Ms. State but nothing really good. AU has Florida, Ole Miss and LSU that are good. 6 games with non conference teams. But if we alternated the other way we would have this:

AU vs. Wash St. 9/2

UA vs. Vandy 9/9

AU vs. LSU 9/16

UA vs. Arkansas 9/23

AU vs. S. Carolina 9/28

UA vs. Duke 10/7

AU vs. Florida 10/14

UA vs. Tennessee 10/21

AU vs. Ole Miss 10/28

UA vs. Ms. State 11/4

AU vs. Georgia 11/11

UA vs. AU 11/18

A much better array of front page headlines for both teams especially for AU. We would have Wash St., LSU, S Carolina, Florida, Ole Miss, and Georgia. UA would still have Arky, Tennessee, Ms State. Only 2 non-conference teams.

It seems to me they picked the way it would favor UA.

I don't think Hawaii is a better team that WSU. Not by a half mile.

Well, I do. Wash State doesn't have the QB that Hawaii had...not by half a mile

Archived