The Aubie Story

GalensGhost

I picked up a copy of the book Saturday at Anders. It's pretty interesting, at least to me. Phil Neel's program covers were one of the highlights of my childhood. I loved going to the games to get the program so I could see what Aubie was going to do to the opponent's mascot. Even when I couldn't go, I would beg for somebody who was going to get me a program. It was great to see all those old covers reprinted. Brought back a lot of good (and some not so good) memories.

There is some particularly telling commentary by David Housel in the foreword.

Here's an example of one of the programs Neel did. Nice guy.

1894.jpg

Anybody else have the book?

I picked up a copy of the book Saturday at Anders. It's pretty interesting, at least to me. Phil Neel's program covers were one of the highlights of my childhood. I loved going to the games to get the program so I could see what Aubie was going to do to the opponent's mascot. Even when I couldn't go, I would beg for somebody who was going to get me a program. It was great to see all those old covers reprinted. Brought back a lot of good (and some not so good) memories.

There is some particularly telling commentary by David Housel in the foreword.

obj82geo233pg17p118.jpg

Anybody else have the book?

I agree as a child I loved the program covers and hearing Jim Fyffe was a big reason why I love football so much was my escape!

I agree as a child I loved the program covers and hearing Jim Fyffe was a big reason why I love football so much was my escape!

Same here... it would make my day if I would get a copy of a program from someone at the game... and I used to spend every Saturday in 93 when we weren't on TV throwing the ball with myself (whoops, I almost said playing with myself), and acting out what Fyffe described in his calls. Those were some great memories, although I love now that I'm here being able to be in the stands each and every week.

My oldest daughter gave me a copy of the book, along with a gameday program, when I walked in the front door of her house in Auburn Saturday. I have not read/viewed it completely, but, Mr. Neel seems to be a GREAT Auburn man in every area of his life.

Same here... it would make my day if I would get a copy of a program from someone at the game... and I used to spend every Saturday in 93 when we weren't on TV throwing the ball with myself (whoops, I almost said playing with myself), and acting out what Fyffe described in his calls. Those were some great memories, although I love now that I'm here being able to be in the stands each and every week.

Just a note: By the time Fyffe was calling the games, Auburn was no longer featuring Aubie on the covers on game day programs. The last, and only one of Phil's Aubie covers since Pat Dye came aboard was the 1991(?) game at Legion Field. This was the last time Auburn was home team in Birmingham.

Just a note: By the time Fyffe was calling the games, Auburn was no longer featuring Aubie on the covers on game day programs. The last, and only one of Phil's Aubie covers since Pat Dye came aboard was the 1991(?) game at Legion Field. This was the last time Auburn was home team in Birmingham.

I believe Gary Sanders was calling the games then...and he was GREAT! B)

:au::homer:

Archived