Clemson DB raising his younger brother...

AuNuma1

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/05/clemson.m...y.ap/index.html

Clemson's McElrathbey raises young brother

POSTED: 9:24 p.m. EDT, September 5, 2006

Adjust font size:

CLEMSON, South Carolina (AP) -- The alarm sounds at 6:15 a.m. and Clemson freshman Ray Ray McElrathbey starts a routine like few others in college football.

Along with classes, film work, defensive back meetings and football practice, McElrathbey sees that his 11-year-old brother, Fahmarr, is dressed and fed, finishes his homework and makes it to middle school on time.

McElrathbey, 19, has temporary custody of his brother because of his mother's continuing drug problems and his father's gambling addiction. The two brothers have shared experiences in foster homes and now share an apartment by the campus.

They live solely off McElrathbey's scholarship while Clemson's athletic department tries to get a waiver from the NCAA that might let them accept donations without jeopardizing McElrathbey's football eligibility.

McElrathbey sought custody because he was tired of worrying what might happen to Fahmarr living with their mother in Atlanta, Georgia.

"I wasn't going to let him go back to a foster home, back to the system," McElrathbey says.

The transition from football player to caregiver is one McElrathbey has cherished since Fahmarr's arrival in June.

"As a brother, it was still me first. As a parent, it's him first," McElrathbey says. "Before I do anything for me, got to do stuff for him."

The elder McElrathbey sounds like a father discussing the struggles of managing a sixth-grader. It often takes two or three shouts before Fahmarr rises and puts on his clothes. McElrathbey signs off on his brother's homework, meets with guidance counselors and tries to keep more fruit around the house.

McElrathbey has no car, so a teammate or friend gives Fahmarr a ride to R.C. Edwards Middle School.

Fahmarr returns to Clemson in the afternoons, often starting his homework at Vickery Hall, Clemson's athletic academic center, or a football coach's office while his older brother works out with the team.

After Tuesday's practice, Fahmarr was in his brother's orange No. 9 jersey throwing the ball to McElrathbey while teammates walked by saying hello or joking with him.

"It's fun living with my brother because we like the same things," Fahmarr said.

After practice, the pair return home. There's dinner, school work and some brotherly time before Fahmarr is asleep and McElrathbey catches up on his assignments, school and football. A big night of fun might be a movie with a teammate or friend.

McElrathbey doesn't mind sacrificing the kind of college life he hears about from teammates.

"My pastor told me it's the Lord wanting to slow me down. I'll take it as that," he said.

McElrathbey has seven brothers and sisters. Because of his mother's addiction, her children have been separated, some ending in foster care as she went to rehab, McElrathbey said.

McElrathbey's mother copes well without the stress of her large family, her son says. Other times she has vowed to get clean and go through rehab, but once she was again raising her children, her problems would resurface, McElrathbey said.

McElrathbey used sports to keep himself out of trouble, often living with coaches or other mentors who kept him in school and focused on the future.

When McElrathbey came to Clemson, he couldn't help but fret over Fahmarr. "You didn't see him at Christmas dinner in Orlando crying in my arms because of his brother," Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning said.

While many in the athletic department have asked to help the McElrathbeys, Clemson must be careful the help is not seen as extra benefits in violation of NCAA rules. Clemson and the ACC have worked on a waiver request to the NCAA, athletic spokesman Tim Bourret said.

Koenning doesn't understand why his wife or other members of Clemson's coaching family can't assist with a trip to the grocery store or school. "I can take two boxes of toys out of my basement and give them to Goodwill, but I can't give them to Ray Ray?"

McElrathbey has no time left for a job, but makes extra spending money washing cars or mowing lawns. He says there is nothing they need he can't afford. "I just had to get rid of the 'great' things, what I call the material things," McElrathbey said.

The NCAA says it's working with Clemson and the ACC on the best solution to assist the McElrathbeys. While the rules prohibit most benefits beyond what comes with the scholarship, "individual circumstances can and are taken into consideration in unusual situations," the NCAA said in a statement.

Clemson safety Michael Hamlin often drives McElrathbey and Fahmarr, and takes Fahmarr for a bite when his older brother's tied up. "He's like a little clown. Everybody likes being around him," Hamlin said.

McElrathbey is glad for the help he gets. He's more happy knowing Fahmarr is safe and sound. The younger McElrathbey told his older brother he is a celebrity on campus now.

Fahmarr was supposed to be in Clemson temporarily. But now McElrathbey expects to maintain custody of his younger brother throughout his teen years. He stays as upbeat as possible and won't dwell on his mother's problems because it doesn't help him or, more importantly, Fahmarr. McElrathbey dreams his mother might one day stay drug free to guide her children, but isn't counting on it.

"You can't get mad at people for being who they are," he said. "You can accept it or you don't, but either way you can't get mad about it because it doesn't help."

If the NCAA doesn't make an exception under these circumstances regarding assistance, they will prove themselves to be the heartless bastages I already believe them to be.

If the NCAA doesn't make an exception under these circumstances regarding assistance, they will prove themselves to be the heartless bastages I already believe them to be.

bastages
?????? Not in my dictionary, what is a bastage?

Right on! This a great kid doing the right thing and it would be a shame if the NCAA basically punishes him for doing that by not letting him receive donations or find some other way to get extra cash.

Guest Tigrinum Major

bastages

In the movie Johnny Dangerously, Joe Piscipo's charater referred to everyone as "fargin' bastages". Make sense now?

Refers to the illegitimate offspring, usually male, of the human species.

This young MAN and his Brother were just added to my prayer list. GREAT story. Thanks for posting.

bastages

Johnny Dangerously

http://www.moviewavs.com/Movies/Johnny_Dangerously.html

Roman Moronie (Richard Dimitri): "You fargon sneaky bastage. I'm gonna take your dwork. I'm gonna nail it to the wall. I'm gonna crush your boils in a meat grinder. I gonna cut off your arms. I'm gonna shove um up your icehole. Dirty som-on-a-batches. My own club."

Gang member (Dick Butkus): "What a mouth on that guy."

what a great story!! I do hope that the NCAA will let the guy accept donations...I mean I hardly scrape by as a college student, and all I do is go to classes...I couldn't imagine having to watch after someone else and balance school and football......

Clemson Tiger fan here....

I would like to thank y'all for the support that y'all are showing Ray Ray. He really is a good kid and deserves any help that he can get.

If y'all would like to help, please go to www.ncaa.org and send them an email through the "contact us" link. Right now, it is the only thing that I know of that can be done to help him. With the help of the cnn.com article and support from sites like this it shouldn't be hard to make this a national story. At least that way the NCAA will have to address it in public.

Thanks,

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon, Jenny. You can say it...b*****d. C'mon. It will feel so good to say it....b*****d, b*****d, b*****d.

Oh, great. Screwed by the nancyboy filter. <_<

C'mon, Jenny. You can say it...b*****d. C'mon. It will feel so good to say it....b*****d, b*****d, b*****d.

Oh, great. Screwed by the nancyboy filter. <_<

:lol: You must have forgot about rule #1

1) No Cursing. We have kids on here and Ladies too. One of those Ladies has Admin Keys, btw. We call her The Boss. I am lucky enough to be married to her. ;)

Which is why we use creative ways to "invent" new cuss words.

I can not stand Clemson, but this is an awesome story. The NCAA needs to get a freakin life and let donations to help these two. Heck, the courts give about 500 dollars a month, per child, for child support. The NCAA needs to allow about that much to help this young man raise his brother. That is not extra benefits that is about what one child costs every month.

Clemson Tiger fan here....

I would like to thank y'all for the support that y'all are showing Ray Ray. He really is a good kid and deserves any help that he can get.

If y'all would like to help, please go to www.ncaa.org and send them an email through the "contact us" link. Right now, it is the only thing that I know of that can be done to help him. With the help of the cnn.com article and support from sites like this it shouldn't be hard to make this a national story. At least that way the NCAA will have to address it in public.

Thanks,

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Kletus.

Btw, go win the ACC!

Clemson, Auburn with a Lake... as Grizzard use to say. Blue and Orange, Tigers, Heisman, etc.

Okay, here's my email to the NCAA - y'all join in!!

To the NCAA:

I recently read the article regarding Clemson Football Player Ray Ray McElrathbey and the younger brother for whom Ray is guardian. I am writing now to encourage the NCAA to find a way to allow this young man to receive the assistance he needs to allow him to provide a proper home for his brother. In this day of pampered and spoiled college athletes making headlines for their negative off field actions, this young man is a shining example of all that is right and decent. Ray is working hard to juggle many different responsibilities and is handling them all equally well. If ever there was an opportunity for the NCAA to show that they do consider cases on individual merits, rather than making a zero tolerance or one rule fits all judgment, this is it. I am an Auburn alum, and while I have no personal interest in this case, his situation moved me. Therefore, I wholeheartedly support a positive decision from the NCAA regarding assistance for Ray Ray McElrathbey and his brother. The NCAA should make this young man a poster child for personifying all that a student athlete and human being should be.

Archived