Chizik looses first game in 3 years

DCTiger

While it’s hard to be critical of a defensive coordinator, Gene Chizik, who just lost his first game in nearly three years, the postgame comments of both he and Mack Brown made me wonder whether the 'Horns scouted the wrong team. Brown said they, "didn’t expect Troy [smith] to pass this much." Chizik also indicated that Texas spent more time focused on Smith's feet than his arm. If you watched the Buckeyes (which I'm sure they did) over the second half of last season and in last week's opener against Northern Illinois, you know that designed QB runs have largely vanished from the OSU playbook, and that the Buckeyes' preferred weapon of choice is quite clearly the deep ball. And while it's not inconceivable they would have broken it back out for this one, I’m sure Chizik realized OSU was going to try and exploit the absence of starting CB Tarell Brown. And yet, the 'Horns' secondary looked lost in the first half. As I noted in my column from the game, Buckeyes receiver Anthony Gonzalez even acknowledged afterward that he was basically left uncovered by Texas’ safeties. Strange.

CNNSI Link

Pop-Quiz: What was Chizik's last loss?

Archived