LSU RIVALRY ?????

aubrandon

When I went to Baton Rouge last year, I was shocked as to how many people said that the Auburn game is the most important game to win on the LSU schedule. There were people everywhere with signs

NEED TICKETS. Their fans were telling me that LSU does not have anyone to rival with, So they have taken the Auburn game as their must win game and also to judge to see where their program stands. To be honest they are right on both sides. With the demise of UAT, the LSU game has become the most important game on Auburn's schedule as well. Yes I know all about Georgia and the South's Oldest Rivalry but, we have tied LSU or one of us has won outright the SEC west the last several years.

:no: This Game Will Not Be For The Faint Of Heart :no:

Back in the day, the Ole Miss Game was their big one, but that's not really beena close one for awhile. Most of them very much look at the Auburn game as their largest of the year.

When I went to Baton Rouge last year, I was shocked as to how many people said that the Auburn game is the most important game to win on the LSU schedule. There were people everywhere with signs

NEED TICKETS. Their fans were telling me that LSU does not have anyone to rival with, So they have taken the Auburn game as their must win game and also to judge to see where their program stands. To be honest they are right on both sides. With the demise of UAT, the LSU game has become the most important game on Auburn's schedule as well. Yes I know all about Georgia and the South's Oldest Rivalry but, we have tied LSU or one of us has won outright the SEC west the last several years.

:no: This Game Will Not Be For The Faint Of Heart :no:

In terms of getting back to Atlanta, this game stands above all others in importance. Agreed.

But the most important game on our schedule continues to be bummer.

I will not debate this.

There is a big difference betweeen LSU being our most important game of a given year and them being our main rival.

bama will always be our main rival

I grew up in Baton Rouge-1960-71- Before moving to Alabama. Went to ten years of LSU home games selling cokes and ushering for the Boy Scouts. Ole Miss was the greatest rivalry-"Go to hell ole miss" a cheer we learned was ok to yell even in a scout uniform, Tulane was also a great rivalry--Alabama somehow managed to win in Tiger Stadium, usually costing LSU an undefeated season, Auburn was not on the radar for a rivalry at that time.

With the SEC division- this is now the most important game for both teams in terms of SEC success but certainly not yet at "rivalry" status. You have to feel a victory or loss deep inside for 364 days after the game to be a rivalry--Not just discuss how it changed chances for an sec championship.

Enough of the old days I have now been shown the light of my errant past by Tiger Mom, my son and daughter- War Eagle go AUBURN tigers

I think that as the years pass, AU/LSU will become more of a rivalry. I just hope the fans can tone down the poor sportsmanship and respect their opponent. I don't think many of the young ones on either side understand how AU fans have traditionally supported LSU. Yeah, we are both Tigers (albeit the LSU tigers are of the pigmy variety), but in the old days only LSU and possibly Ole Miss had a team other than ours that could knock off Bammer. Other than a few years where Bammer played out of conference heavies, they were loaded up with Vandy and Kentucky every year. They even played FSU, a cellar dweller if there ever was one. I remember many a time being on a dove shoot and listening to LSU/Bammer on my transister radio. We pulled for LSU big time. LSU probably never knew about our support.

I just hope the games, rivalry or not, are cleanly played, and the fans act like civil human beings.

That said - War Damn Eagle!!!

I would agree with you that it is the most important game to win on the both the LSU & AUBURN schedule. That does not mean it is the biggest rival game for AU. Bama is and always will be (even after AUBURN has beat them 63 consecutive games). B)

But if you look at the way things have gone, the winner of the AUBURN vs. LSwho game goes to Atlanta.

lsWHO is our most important game right now because it is NEXT on the schedule.

Remember...O N E at a time.

lsWHO is our most important game right now because it is NEXT on the schedule.

Remember...O N E at a time.

Couldn't have said it better!

I don't think many of the young ones on either side understand how AU fans have traditionally supported LSU. Yeah, we are both Tigers (albeit the LSU tigers are of the pigmy variety), but in the old days only LSU and possibly Ole Miss had a team other than ours that could knock off Bammer. Other than a few years where Bammer played out of conference heavies, they were loaded up with Vandy and Kentucky every year. They even played FSU, a cellar dweller if there ever was one. I remember many a time being on a dove shoot and listening to LSU/Bammer on my transister radio. We pulled for LSU big time. LSU probably never knew about our support.

Well in a way, that hasn't changed...who among us wasn't happy to see the Tahd fall to the purple 'n' gold last year?

Doesn't mean I like 'em, though. :rolleyes::lsu:

I was pulling for Alabama all the way against LSU because I knew that was the difference b/w AU winning the SEC. I'm starting to wonder if the BAMA obsession is a North Alabama,Birmingham thing. I really don't understand it.

(albeit the LSU tigers are of the pigmy variety)

???

Yes, AU is the most important game on our schedule. AU is also our most important rival with the demise of the Ole Miss and Tulane programs in the 70s.

I think this bothers some AU fans because they have Alabama and Georgia.. I dunno.

The reason that :au: and :lsu: are a rival now is bc the winner usually wins the SEC West. I also think that :uf: , :ua: and :om: are "big" games, but I understand the importance of this game and know why both LSU and Auburn fans get so excited about this game. We both could be like Ole Miss, MSU and Vandy and have no one circle the calenders for us. We both have been at the bottom of the SEC and I for one am enjoying every minute of being one of the "elite" teams in the nation and I am sure that Auburn fans are also.

The reason that :au: and :lsu: are a rival now is bc the winner usually wins the SEC West. I also think that :uf: , :ua: and :om: are "big" games, but I understand the importance of this game and know why both LSU and Auburn fans get so excited about this game. We both could be like Ole Miss, MSU and Vandy and have no one circle the calenders for us. We both have been at the bottom of the SEC and I for one am enjoying every minute of being one of the "elite" teams in the nation and I am sure that Auburn fans are also.

I hear ya, GCT!!! Besides the yearly bushwacking we have been laying on the turds, there is no other game I look forward to more than the LSU game each year. Both fan bases now know that this game is the pivot game in our year. Both teams know the winner of this game pretty much as the west wrapped up (barring any stupid games!!) and the potential to going on into the national spotlight!! This is big time SEC football without a doubt, #6 v. #3!!!!

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishbone nailed it earlier concerning realignment. Florida and UT were regulars on our schedule and those were real rivalry games, just like UGA. Now LSU is an every year event and both programs have risen to the top. It's actually taken a short time, relatively speaking, for this to turn into a true rivalry with a lot of history already.

The LSU game has become Auburn's premier game the last five years because of the implications riding on the game. Even before the last five years AU-LSU has been a good one. Auburn fans need to give this rivalry the credit it deserves. I know the AU-Bama thing is huge, but outside of the state noone cares. AU-Georgia is a sentimental one, but we are not in the same division so there is not as much riding on it. AU-LSU is huuuggge now! With both teams seemingly reloading every year, this game is destined to only get bigger. This is our new rivalry AU fans. It's time to put this game on another level.

Another thing...Auburn lost its old rivals of Tennessee and then Florida after realignment. LSU has taken their place. I think the LSU game is a huge rival game.

Concur 100%...it took me until about '97 to warm up to it, but LSU has definitely morphed into a rivalry. It is very similar to Florida-Tennessee. Those teams played infrequently before expansion, but that's a huge game now and so is AU-LSU.

Archived