Inside the Numbers - Cox vs. Russell

StatTiger

JaMarcus Russell is currently the 3rd rated passer in the country and Brandon Cox is 13th. Here is a breakdown by downs:

QB Ratings by down...

1st down:

Cox ........... 202.8

Russell ....... 158.1

2nd down:

Cox ........... 159.4

Russell ....... 160.4

3rd down:

Cox ........... 107.4

Russell ....... 378.7

JaMarcus Russell has completed all nine of his 3rd down passes, picking up 5 first downs and 2 TD's. The average distance needed on 3rd down was nine yards. Back in 2004, Jason Campbell was money in the bank on 3rd down passing, posting a 191.9 QB rating on 3rd down during the course of the season. I realize LSU has not been challenged by a good defense as of yet but consider that Campbell's pass rating on 3rd down against Citadel, La. Monroe and La.Tech was 241.0.

Russell is off to a great start and QB's under Jimbo Fisher have consistently improved year by year.

great info Stat, it would seem that it is imperative that we get pressure on Russell.

Cox will have to be on his game, and the receivers will have to create distance between the defenders.

Not letting JaMarcus get time on 3rd down is the key to stopping their drives, if he has time to scramble and look downfield, we are in trouble. We did it 2 years ago, but it will be much harder this time. Of course, the alternative is to outscore them, maybe we can punch some drives in for TDs and not put our kicker on the line...

The thing I am most concerned with at this time is passing routes across the middle. Hopefully we can tighten this up this weekend.

The thing I am most concerned with at this time is passing routes across the middle. Hopefully we can tighten this up this weekend.

that slant play will be trouble, of course we can run it too

Our D will have to pressure Russell in order to keep them from marching down the field on every drive. This could be a long game, but I have confidence that the coaches are getting the team prepared.

On offense, look for a BIG game from AU's Tight Ends (Bennett-Trott-McKenzie) AB loves to play two tight ends and it is possible to see three in certain situations. All three of these guys can catch and Trott has WR speed and hands. This could be fun!

JaMarcus Russell is currently the 3rd rated passer in the country and Brandon Cox is 13th. Here is a breakdown by downs:

QB Ratings by down...

1st down:

Cox ........... 202.8

Russell ....... 158.1

2nd down:

Cox ........... 159.4

Russell ....... 160.4

3rd down:

Cox ........... 107.4

Russell ....... 378.7

JaMarcus Russell has completed all nine of his 3rd down passes, picking up 5 first downs and 2 TD's. The average distance needed on 3rd down was nine yards. Back in 2004, Jason Campbell was money in the bank on 3rd down passing, posting a 191.9 QB rating on 3rd down during the course of the season. I realize LSU has not been challenged by a good defense as of yet but consider that Campbell's pass rating on 3rd down against Citadel, La. Monroe and La.Tech was 241.0.

Russell is off to a great start and QB's under Jimbo Fisher have consistently improved year by year.

Look at the oponents! We played a bad ULL team and a worse Arizona team. Our offensive line lacks depth and inexperienced. We are very good at all skill positions on offense. We had some trouble stopping ULLs rushing attack in the 1st half. Irons should get his 100+ yards. Should be a good game. Winner likely wins the west.

Look at the oponents! We played a bad ULL team and a worse Arizona team. Our offensive line lacks depth and inexperienced. We are very good at all skill positions on offense. We had some trouble stopping ULLs rushing attack in the 1st half. Irons should get his 100+ yards. Should be a good game. Winner likely wins the west.

I realize the lack of competition, which is why I compared his numbers to Jason Campbell's "patsy" opponents. I still find it very impressive!

On offense, look for a BIG game from AU's Tight Ends (Bennett-Trott-McKenzie) AB loves to play two tight ends and it is possible to see three in certain situations.

I agree. This will be a key matchup. I don't know if any of you guys watched the LSU Zona game but our linebacker Beckwith had a tremendous game. He is coming along alot better than LSU fans thought but he will be tested this weekend.

Waiting for Saturday may likely kill me.....

I am convinced both teams have held back this season for this game. I fully expect CAB to show us some new things this weekend - a 3 TE set with KI and BL in the backfield would fit that bill - talk about running or PA pass options...

Waiting for Saturday may likely kill me.....

I am convinced both teams have held back this season for this game. I fully expect CAB to show us some new things this weekend - a 3 TE set with KI and BL in the backfield would fit that bill - talk about running or PA pass options...

Split backfield or I- formation?

Archived