Herbstreit

AUwingsfan

Ok, so I was anxious to hear what the talking heads at ESPN had to say after our game and waited up to see what they'd say. Well of course both Corso and Herbstreit had us lower than USC and I believe one of them had us 4th and the other 3rd.....

I wasn't surprised to see they put USC ahead of us, I mean they've had a love affair with them for as long as I can remember and that sort of thing hasn't shocked me, but Herbstreit's reasoning for why USC should be number 2 was surprising and questionable.

He said that he had USC at number 2 because they had the POTENTIAL to be a great team in a few weeks.... am I the only one who thinks this is stupid?? Potential is great for preseason rankings as no one has played a game, but we just beat the number 6 team in the country who has an unbelieveable defense, and their offense isn't bad either (just our D stepped up). I just think it's stupid to say you can rank teams on their potential during the season, I mean potentially most of these teams could become number one correct?? They wouldn't realistically have a chance to do it, but potentially it could happen. So I think his justification of his ranking of USC is horrible, why rank teams on their potential instead of what has happened on the field???

Ok, so I was anxious to hear what the talking heads at ESPN had to say after our game and waited up to see what they'd say. Well of course both Corso and Herbstreit had us lower than USC and I believe one of them had us 4th and the other 3rd.....

I wasn't surprised to see they put USC ahead of us, I mean they've had a love affair with them for as long as I can remember and that sort of thing hasn't shocked me, but Herbstreit's reasoning for why USC should be number 2 was surprising and questionable.

He said that he had USC at number 2 because they had the POTENTIAL to be a great team in a few weeks.... am I the only one who thinks this is stupid?? Potential is great for preseason rankings as no one has played a game, but we just beat the number 6 team in the country who has an unbelieveable defense, and their offense isn't bad either (just our D stepped up). I just think it's stupid to say you can rank teams on their potential during the season, I mean potentially most of these teams could become number one correct?? They wouldn't realistically have a chance to do it, but potentially it could happen. So I think his justification of his ranking of USC is horrible, why rank teams on their potential instead of what has happened on the field???

Get this through your head: the espn talking heads are not "analysts," they're PIMPS! Now that you know that, you can anticipate how they will spin everything back to them pimping the teams they want to see and will not be surprised again.

Yes, Notre Dame losing should also have hurt USC. Since that is the way it has worked every other year. If you look at USC's schedule, there is nothing else on it for the rest of the year except the ND game.

Hopefully, at the end of 2006, it will be Tommy Tuberville that will be asking "Who have they played" about all the other teams. None of the top contenders holds a candle to our schedule. This new push that Michigan is getting is just media spin. They will soon see who the real deal is.

Herby's comments are nothing compared to Craig JAmes druing the ESPN Gameday Final last night. In ranking thier top 5...He says I drop Auburn to #4 b/c there was just not enough offense for me!!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me??????? That is your reason?? Did you watch the game??? Of course he also vaulted Michigan into the top...guess who is going to be the new ESPN/ABC wonderteam!!!!

These guys are idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!

another idiot is cockadoodle lou holtz... what an idiot... he goes on and on about how great of a game we played and what a great LSU team we beat, then when asked if he would have us #2, he said "oh absolutely not.. you have to go with USC." i wish fox sports with their 24 hour sports channel would compete with ESPN to get them off their high horse.

Guest BoStillKnows
another idiot is cockadoodle lou holtz... what an idiot... he goes on and on about how great of a game we played and what a great LSU team we beat, then when asked if he would have us #2, he said "oh absolutely not.. you have to go with USC." i wish fox sports with their 24 hour sports channel would compete with ESPN to get them off their high horse.

If I was too stupid to play Kenny Irons at tailback, I would be too embarassed to sit behind a microphone and comment of college football.

I guess the retired coaches who really know football proved their knowledge on the field and do not have to use TV to convince the publc that they knew what they were doing.

Herby's comments are nothing compared to Craig JAmes druing the ESPN Gameday Final last night. In ranking thier top 5...He says I drop Auburn to #4 b/c there was just not enough offense for me!!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me??????? That is your reason?? Did you watch the game??? Of course he also vaulted Michigan into the top...guess who is going to be the new ESPN/ABC wonderteam!!!!

These guys are idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear those comments too and couldn't believe he said that. Obviously he didn't watch the game at all, and knows nothing of what college football is about... He seems to forget there is this thing called DEFENSE, of which LSU has one of the best in the country....

I used to think Craig James was pretty good and fairly intelligent, but those comments last night were about as stupid as you can get...

Get this through your head: the espn talking heads are not "analysts," they're PIMPS! Now that you know that, you can anticipate how they will spin everything back to them pimping the teams they want to see and will not be surprised again.

TRUE, TRUE, TRUE

espn is owned by abc.

abc has contracts with the pac10, big10, big 12, and I think, the acc.

The sec has a contract with cbs. cbs does golf and tennis well but sucks with college football.

abc/espn have and will continue to pimp those teams in those conferences that will bring them the most publicity and viewers. There is no doubt that they are prep'ed on who to push each weekend. They push for teams in big viewing markets. They pushed ND (contract with nbc) just because of the HUGE following and marketability nationwide of the ND name.

CTT was right when he voiced his concern about espn and their power.

USC now faces an overrated #12 Notre Dame, a #13 Oregon, and a # 22 California. Auburn faces a #5 Florida, a #9 Georgia and just beat a #8 LSU.

Does Herbstreit think this is a beauty contest or a football poll?

"The average southern football fan knows more about football than any sportwriter in this room." Bo Shembechler, Michigan

Holds true for ESPN too.

If I was too stupid to play Kenny Irons at tailback, I would be too embarassed to sit behind a microphone and comment of college football.

I guess the retired coaches who really know football proved their knowledge on the field and do not have to use TV to convince the publc that they knew what they were doing.

Amen, why in the world do they have him as an analyst anyway. He couldn't win when he was coaching near the end of his career, he didn't play Kenny Irons, thank goodness for Auburn and he sounds like a slurring drunk with a retainer when he talks. Looks like and over grown elf too!

I want Auburn to play USC for the national title this year because we owe them bigtime! Auburn would offically arrive on the national stage and we wouldn't be talking about the lack of respect topic ever again if we beat USC for all the marbles. Go ahead ESPN, keep doing what you are doing because it will come crashing down eventually.

Archived