Similar to '04?

PigskinPat

I got back from the game early this morning and was wiped out physically and emotionally. This was truly one for the ages. On the way home, I got to thinking about the similarities in this game and the LSU game of '04. In '04, we played a hardfought game had a break or two come our way and came out with a close win. I think in '04 it took all the fear (what little they had) out of them and they played the rest of the season with confidence and determination. I saw us win another hardfought game last night with a break or two that came our way. It's too early to predict an undefeated season, but I feel this game put those magic ingredients into our guys last night like the game in '04 did. Am I blowing smoke here, or does anyone else see some similarities in the two games? War Eagle!

I'm thinkin' along the same lines. The best thing that came out of that game for me was the realization that this defense can play with anybody in the country. The offense still needs that little something in my opinion to make it all come together. The next game or two should allow them to do that.

It shouldn't be lost on anyone that this defense has given up a grand total of 17 points in 3 games to a PAC 10 team, an SEC team(albeit, the dregs of the SEC bottom dwellers) and the #6 team in the nation. I say again, if the O comes around, this team will be flat out scarey.

during that last LSU drive....i was thinking how it was the same exact thing, just LSU had the ball.....i was so scared, i almost threw up.

it's funny you mentioned that because I was thinking just what you did....they were even driving the ball from the same side of the field as we were!! glad we won both of them though! War Eagle!!

Guest Tigrinum Major

Good gosh, Doug. Do you remember every freakin' questionable call from every game ever played?

Diversify, man. That or we will create a special "Bad Calls" forum for you and the LSU and Oklahoma fans to lament the bad fortune of questionable calls.

We've heard it all before. Please refrain from highjacking any more threads with talk of bad calls unless they specifically address that subject or feel free to start yet another thread about the on side kick that will be merged with the other two. Thanks.

Any comparisions between that game (and team) and this one are unfair to both.

???? All I'm saying (or trying to say) is that the LSU game was very similar in '04 and this year and I hope it has the same effect on this team as I feel it did on the '04 squad. If that's unfair, then so be it.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I'm just relunctant to compare teams or players or games to others because they should all stand on their own merit, especially if one of them is still a work in progress.

If similiar things happen in seasons gone by, I think it is great to be able to look back and say, "This game was our LSU 2004, the one that pushed us over the edge and we became a great team." At this point, we don't know if that is the case or not. You can hope it does all you want, but to start thinking that way is to put the cart before the horse, in my opinion.

I'm just into enjoying each game on its own merit and not worry about things in the far future. If things work out, great. If not, so be it.

I think its interesting that it was a field position game as in 04. Also like 04, our quarterback was THE man. Brandon may not have played his best game, but he was a presence on the field once we got momentum going, just like Jason was.

I also think it is interesting that Kenny managed 70 yards vs 06 LSU and Carnell and Ronnie both put up similar stats vs 04 LSU. Kenny was the workhorse that kept Auburn moving. He may not have had a flashy, big runs game, but he kept the ball moving. He deserves Heisman talk just for his hard-fought performance in this game.

Overall, I think it shows that Auburn is a good team. We had trouble executing plays at times but we scored when we had to and thats all it took.

It was just another AU-LSU game, exciting, physical, and heart-stopping. We'll see if 06 AU really compares to 04 AU in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

WDE!

Ryan

Archived