Alabama / Arkansas Game Thread

autiger518

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BoStillKnows
I'm not saying the kid was perfect, I'm saying he doesn't "suck" and doesn't deserve to be ripped on. I'm saying that he's a kid and was seriously shaken. He shouldn't have been put in that sitiuation, and he isn't getting paid 2 million a year.

It's one thing to lose because the offense is terrible, it's another to lose because you refuse to give your playmakers a chance to win the game, instead of relying on a walk-on freshman kicker......in his first road game.

With all that said, the season isn't over. I hope Shula will use this to build on.

What bothers me is when young people are used as pawns and winning takes priority over everything -- including building the character of today's youth. I am sure, deep down Tiffen is a good kid. It is too bad that he is probably put in a position that he should not be because of politics, ego, or past history.

Back to the game...I say the same thing about missed field goals that I said after our loss to LSU last year:

Instead of playing the blame game and putting it all on three missed fieldgoals, they should be asking themselves what's wrong with their offense if they can get it into field goal range three times and not punch any one of them in for a TD.

Instead of playing the blame game and putting it all on three missed fieldgoals, they should be asking themselves what's wrong with their offense if they can get it into field goal range three times and not punch any one of them in for a TD.

A terrible game plan paired with questionable sideline play calling. Their strategy is not matched to the talent they have, and it was certainly not meant to overpower/overcome what Arky had on defense. Darby up the middle is not a good strategy when it has not worked the previous 30 snaps.

Very rarely have I ever "attacked" another board member (AU or not) but this player bashing must stop. Please mods, give a ruling. I remember all the posts last year after JV missed his fg's against lsu and the comments being imported from the bammar boards. If this keeps up, we have sunk to their level - and that is very, very low.

sntemp and JD, please show your class, not your a$$.

Lets talk x's and o's, not jimmy's and joe's.

Very rarely have I ever "attacked" another board member (AU or not) but this player bashing must stop. Please mods, give a ruling. I remember all the posts last year after JV missed his fg's against lsu and the comments being imported from the bammar boards. If this keeps up, we have sunk to their level - and that is very, very low.

sntemp and JD, please show your class, not your a$$.

Lets that x's and o's, not jimmy's and joe's.

Well said. Seems some have not made it past grammar school yet.

Do not bash a player, That is the rule of this forum. Any more bashing and this thread will be nuked. Thanks

Hey I'm not going to bash the kicker (heck, I'm happy), but for some fellow co-workers, I really could use a picture of this kid missing a FG or something made up. Cuz all I heard this summer was "how many FGs did they miss against LSU?"

I think I cleaned the thread of the over the line comments.

Keep it above the belt people. You wouldn't trash an Auburn player this way, don't trash rival kids either. Now, if you would trash an AU player this way you have bigger problems and this isn't the board for you.

Titan, I wished you would have left my clarification post because my name is still included in many of the posts remaining and I don't want anyone mistakingly thinking I was attacking and bad mouthing players.

-Michael

Titan, I wished you would have left my clarification post because my name is still included in many of the posts remaining and I don't want anyone mistakingly thinking I was attacking and bad mouthing players.

-Michael

I went back and cleaned up some more. Sorry about that. I realize that was a misunderstanding.

Look, I know it's easy to get caught up in the smack talk and all. I'm not singling anyone out, just reminding everyone that we're better than this. The kid feels awful...much like Vaughn did after the LSU game. He'll prolly get some rotten messages on his machine and other crap. Let's not pile on.

that game never should have come to a freshman kickers performance.....bama cant score in the red zone.....PERIOD! yea, of course Tiffin missed 1800 field goals....but honestly, bama has no running game....they have to find something on the groud before we think we can even think about a bowl game or 6 six wins. Darby is some funk that i have no clue how to solve......maybe let JJ start and let darby fill in as the back up or something.....he is playing like dog poo

I think there is much more "funk" than apparent on the surface.

For instance, instead of preparing his team, Shula has been fighting the media on Juwan Simpson, and LOSING that battle, and (I think) then being overruled by some higher-up at the university and told to finally suspend him.

Stuff like that gets in the way of him doing his job because he is not handling things in a manner that prioritizes getting the team ready to play and win.

Another example....insisting on running Darby all the time. Another example....leaving a kicker in that has missed umpteen field goals already and putting the game in his hands.

All that stuff is symptoms of deeper problems IMHO.

Yeah...um...i swear i saw the same kicker nail a 46 yarder in the same game...and uh...im pretty sure he hit two extra point attempts right down the middle before he missed the last one. Sure it was Shula's fault.

Dominate in every phase of the game except field goal kicking and its the coaches fault. Last time i checked...he cant kick the field goals.

Yeah...um...i swear i saw the same kicker nail a 46 yarder in the same game...and uh...im pretty sure he hit two extra point attempts right down the middle before he missed the last one. Sure it was Shula's fault.

Dominate in every phase of the game except field goal kicking and its the coaches fault. Last time i checked...he cant kick the field goals.

Dominating in every phase of the game shouldn't lead to needing FGs to win. That's where my problem is. And that IS Shula's fault.

BG, why is Tiffin the FG kicker over Christenson? And why, when he obviously wasn't mentally there anymore did he stick with him anyway late in the game?

Jamie still has a pulled groin. The kicking motion required to do kickoffs is different from the plant motion required for field goals. And Jamie just isnt there yet.

Again, when a guy has a DEAD ON kick from the 20 yard line...you gotta think he can hit it. Espcially since he flat nailed a 46 yarder earlier in the game. And missing an extra point? Who does that? Fresman or not, you have to execute. And Tiffin didnt.

I watched that whole game, and I did not see any "dominating every phase of the game" from either team. In fact, I thought they were extremely evenly matched except for coaching, where Arkansas definitely had the upper hand.

Your coach makes millions and millions of dollars a year. It is his job to take the heat for a loss. You guys went in thinking you were going to dominate. And apparently you still saw that even though that is not what happened. He did not have your team ready to play at the level he should have with the talent that he has, and that means he is not meeting the expectations of the people that pay him to do his job.

Yeah...um...i swear i saw the same kicker nail a 46 yarder in the same game...and uh...im pretty sure he hit

Dominate in every phase of the game except field goal kicking and its the coaches fault.

You must not have seen the same game I watched. Arkansas (McFadden ) had the dominant runnning game and was a key factor in Arky being in the game since Mustain couldn't hit the passes. That stable of SEC class running backs you were so high on a few weeks ago just haven't hacked it.

We had almost 100 yards more total offense, only punted 3 times, and lost because we missed 4 kicks.

Rest assured, arkansas didnt beat us, we did.

I smell a moral victory!

Arkansas scored 9 points. They werent in field goal range after their first drive of the second half. McFadden was held to his lowest YPC average of the season...and Arkansas managed only 270 yards of total offense. They had ONE good scoring drive. The other was a field goal on a field where they got the ball at our 35.

No moral victory circle drill. We're 3-1. Not 3-1*

The bama nation is in a total meltdown with post after post crticizing Shula and the coaching. Reality has set in that they are still just an average team. Those who have any degree of optimism left are having to spin things to make themslves feel as good as possible. But the fact is that bama lost today and no amount of rationalization will take the L off the record.

You live by the kicking game, you die by the kicking game. Not much else need be said except for those who want to play the "what if" game. bammers just need to take a stiff drink, go to bed and continue to hope for better times. But they need to spend some time Sunday preparing the spin for why they should have and could have beat Florida next Saturday.

Archived