The task at Hand

auwallace

I should have known better, having been in grad school during the Sullivan-Beasley-Schmalz era; but I think I underestimated how much the loss of Obomanu, Mix, and Aromashadu was going to impact the passing game. A team can't lose three receivers of that caliber and roll on without skipping a beat. We have some talented and speedy guys and they will get there; but apparently there is a little more to it than running out 8 steps and turning left.

Don't forget we hung 48 on Coach Superior last year; I can assure you he hasn't.

WE have to look great Thursday night to get more respect. Brandon has been playing hurt since he got slammed in the LSU game, he will come around. If the line would protect him more, he would have more time to throw. Hard to throw long when a 200+ lb football player is getting ready to lay you down.

Kenny wants this game, he wants to prove the South Carolina (and that elf idiot, Lou Holtz) that he is the real deal and they should never have let him go.

Everyone will be watching and I hope to goodness we ram this thing down Superior Steve's throat!!

Funny how Blake Mitchell was only suspended for one game. He was still in a fight, even if the charges were dropped, at 2:00 in the morning, after curfew!!!! Spurrier must have been talking to Shula!!! :moon:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. One of our biggest problems right now is Brandon Cox's inability to throw the long ball. What's keeping up from a national title? His arm. Plain and simple. The only thing keeping us alive in this thing is our defense and the fact that we have an incredibly stout group of backs.

I'm with you.Regardess if you like the long ball or not,you really need to use it,if not for spreading purposes.If a team KNOWS you can't or won't throw a long post,deep route etc... doesn't that give an advantage to the defense?You got a shorter field to work with in the long run.Like it or not this is a weakness in our offense,I wish we would attempt to correct this.I mean who here wouldn't like to see a good 50 yard on the run bomb!! YEAH :cheer: JUST every now an then.I personally would like to see just one.

I should have known better, having been in grad school during the Sullivan-Beasley-Schmalz era; but I think I underestimated how much the loss of Obomanu, Mix, and Aromashadu was going to impact the passing game. A team can't lose three receivers of that caliber and roll on without skipping a beat. We have some talented and speedy guys and they will get there; but apparently there is a little more to it than running out 8 steps and turning left.

Don't forget we hung 48 on Coach Superior last year; I can assure you he hasn't.

The inexperience of our receivers shows up in the completion rate. The young guys have a problem hanging on to the crucial catches. No matter. I think AU can move the ball on USC. The Cocks don't have much of a defense. USC is next to last in the SEC rushing defense & AU is in 2nd behind Arky in SEC rushing offense. Cox won't have to throw much -- just enough to make USC back off. I know Syvelle Newton threw a bunch of TDs last Saturday but it was against Florida Atlantic. If AU controls the ball & runs it down USC's throat, they win going away.

O.K. folks.....here's the low down skinny:

:usc: QB will be Syvelle Newton. Newton threw 5 TD's to Sidney Rice in the game v/s FAU before sitting on the sides to watch now backup QB Blake Mitchell wrap up the win over the Owls on Saturday night. USuCk still has not shown that they can run the ball against a quality D. UGA shut out the "Coots", and I see our D as a step above UGA at this point. The one thing that Syvelle Newton brings to the table that we have not seen this year so far..........he can run the ball and he's very mobile. That's why Visor Boy put him back in as a QB. The O line is weak, and he needed a mobile QB to have a chance v/s quality teams.

Auburn needs to shut the run and Sidney Rice down to win this game in style. Syvelle Newton will be throwing the long ball a good bit early to keep the Cocks in it. Cover Rice, pressure Newton, and stop the run. If we can get in their face, they will make mistakes.

Auburn needs to be physical and wear down a defense that has not been able to hang around due to depth issues. Auburn is the better team, and it will show barring a major meltdown.

BENCHED: Wide receiver Prechae Rodriguez was suspended from Saturday's game for academic reasons, Tuberville said. He did not elaborate in the postgame press conference.

Rodriguez was expected to be one of the Tigers' primary receivers this season, but he has largely been supplanted by walk-on Rod Smith.

Rodriguez has four catches for 35 yards this year.

http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/base/s...&thispage=3

Ok folks....short week at hand for our tigers this week. Add to it, that its on the road, and it could prove more difficult than we expect. That said, we have a game thursday night we need to be worried about, not the "second rate" school to the west...

Where is stat-tiger with his numbers for the matchup this week?

What does everyone think we need to do or do better to beat SC?? Will Kenny Irons play this thursday? If so, how much?

Let's focus guys and gals....our TIGERS need our support....

In the words of WARTIM,

O N E at a time....

WAR EAGLE!!!!

While we do not,rather should not run up the score to impress AP voters, we have to become more dominating in our victories.Unlike 2004 we are already in the number 2 spot.All :au: has to do is hold on to that spot.We also catch a break because USC plays in a complete crap conference.One game at a tie domination lands us in Atlanta and maybe beyond.I have no question Kenny will play at :usc: Probably gladly accepted not playing Saturday just to be in top condition...Look for him to have a solid 150+ type game....Anyone else notice how great our defense is playing...Remind anyone possibly of :lsu: championship defense...just a thought WDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting data....let's remember that a Division I-AA Team in Wofford scored 20 points on the chickens. SC had their starters in for most of the game except for the "suspended" Mitchell who Coach Visor was already planning to bench.

For Wofford, here is an area where their team had season highs during the SC game...

Wofford Season Stats

Yards Rushing....... 129 Kevious Johnson at South Carolina (Sep 16, 2006)

And based on their opponent data, Coastal Carolina passed and rushed for more yards against Wofford than SC.

Maybe SC overlooked Wofford but it seems they couldn't do much with them but was able to stop a last minute drive to keep them from scoring.

WAR EAGLE! :au:

This is definitely a big chance for Auburn to reinforce our place in the polls. As has been mentioned, b/c it is a Thursday night ESPN game we will have a pretty large national audience. Lots of subplots: Kenny Iron's return to SC, Spurrier and his team wanting to avenge last year's trip to the woodshed, etc.

We are playing in a hostile stadium against a team that can put up points. Sydney Rice is amazing. I know it was weak competition, but nine catches for 161 yards and 5 TDs is impressive no matter who you are playing against.

B/c the game is on a Thursday, I think we will have fewer fans in the stands than usual. It would be nice to take the crowd out of the game early. I would love to see Auburn start on defense, cause a turnover and have a nice drive resulting in a TD.

All that being said, if we are focused and play a decent game, we should take them to town. I'd say 31-14 is a reasonable guess of the final score...

I agree with that DC. Take em out early, and the train will roll down the tracks!

I wouldn't count on a small crowd at USC. They are rabid fans and were always supportive of their team even in the awful years. I hope AU has a good showing. I am concerned about this game too. Hope everyone is healthy and ready to show the nation how good AU is. I'm sure they will be ready for us - will we be ready for them?

Archived