What Would You Have Done?

AUesquire

Alright, the proverbial cow dung is hitting the fan on Finedong about CMFS not being the coach for Bama and how "We knew it all along". I heard long time Bama callers on our local talk show this morning saying the same thing and the Sunday paper had the Bama beat writer serving up a real healthy dose of "It's all Mikey's fault."

Now, I admit that being in JH while the majority of the Bama game was on, I only got to watch the last minute or two and the overtimes. So, I don't pretend to know what happened during the course of the game. But the main complaints I've read and heard are as follows:

1. CMFS took the ball out of SJPWs hands at the end of the game and played for a field goal when they got in Arky's red zone. Ran 3 very conservative running plays.

2. Never attempted to get Darby outside during the game. Ran him continuously between the tackles where he's least effective.

3. Never should have let a shakey Leigh Tiffen kick at the end and should have replaced him with Christensen.

Based on the above, I've heard a constant stream of firemikeshula.com talk today. Question: What do you do if you're in that situation? Do you play for the field goal? Do you continue to run your offense and let SJPW take a shot or two at the endzone? If you decide to kick it, do you replace Tiffen with JC? Or do you skip all of the above and go for some ice cream?

Thoughts?

i

Well, looking back at the LSU game from last year, CTT thought it was smart to continue to try for the FGS.

I’m a bit in the same boat, as far lack of snaps I saw with my own eye. I did see the end of the game, and for whatever reason Darby didn’t find any space to run towards the end. I did see them moving throwing the ball being passing. I don’t really know Shula enough to know if he’s hard headed when it comes to “we are going to run the ball every down,” but I think if the end was any indication on what they could have done, I would say stop running and start throwing…..or go get some ice cream, your call on that one.

I’d say to bama fans, this is just one game, give the guy a bit of slack and see how the season goes. IF they beat UF next week then Shula is the next best thing since a big scoop of Rocky Road.

Honestly, I would have done the same thing in OT.

Now, as for the last drive in regulation...that is another story.

I believe if you were to peek onto the field today in Fayetteville, you could see D.J. Hall and Keith Brown still running free down the middle of the field. Why Effin didn't call one slant in the last 5 or 6 plays in regulation is beyond me. Had they gone to the well once more, there would be no implosion in west vance today IMO.

On another note, Mustain is a horrible QB who will probably be on the bench if Nutt can recruit a good one this year.

On another note, Mustain is a horrible QB who will probably be on the bench if Nutt can recruit a good one this year.

Gonna have to disagree with this one. He is a true freshman kid who will get better as long as he doesn't get killed beforehand.

I'd have gone for a long draw off of the famous UA magic mushroom kool-aid before deciding. Perhaps call time out and switch to paisley unis!

Oh noooo...not another paisley jersey thread hijack. :P

Arky DBs weren't doing a thing to slow down DJ Hall or Brown except commit PI when they go the chance. Joe Tom Wilson was slinging the ball all around the field to these two. I do not understand what Shulla-the-ex-QB was thinking. His QB could have easily connected with his receivers in the end zone. Instead, he ran about three running plays to get uat in the middle of the field (when one would have done it nicely.) He didn't just go conservative all of a sudden -- he started a radical right-wing off-shoot of the John Birch Society. The dirt road alumni are correct this time: Shula is d-u-m, DUMB!

WHY did Christiansen NOT attempt the later of the kicks? WHAT happened to the "No player loses his position because of injury" "rule"?

p.s. flipper did the right thing. After all, uat lost!

As I recall, in UA's last series in regulation there was about 3 1/2 minutes left and Shula was trying to get in in position for a FG. I kept thinking how stupid this was since there would be plenty of time left for Ark to score. They should have flung it to the endzone a couple of times at least and then try the FG. Way too conservative and poor clock management IMHO. It was a day to be thankful I was a AUBURN fan.

Personally I probably would've had done the same thing as Shula. I'd probably take a shot at the endzone but nothing too crazy though which Shula probably ought to have done but We weren't talking about 50 yard field goals here and even if the kid did miss before you've gotta think he hits the chip shot eventually. uat should've won, no doubt, but Arky got all the breaks and no amount of coaching can change that.

The truth is that Shula did everything right. The hiliarity is that the Bammer Boneheads are ready to run him out of T Town because he did the right thing.

Now, Shula may well have signed the wrong kicker, but UA should have won the way Shula called it. If the Bammers hadn't drunk all of their kool-aid after the Big Vandy Win, they'd see it differently.

It's not the fact he ran Darby up the middle it's the fact that HE RAN DARBY.....Johns is pound for pound the better RB this year. He took that ball out of the air and put it on the ground, this was the losing point because Bama owned ARKY in the air. NOBODY should ever blame Tiffin for that loss because he shouldn't have been in that situation!!! the game should have been over in the 4th when Sheila(yes Im calling him Sheila from now on out) nutted up on 3rd and 8. Would you put a Freshmen Kicker tht has missed 2 already and is playing his first game on the road on national TV in OT? SHEILA has to be the worse alumni(not a coach) in the SEC maybe nation. Florida is going to KILL US!

It's not the fact he ran Darby up the middle it's the fact that HE RAN DARBY.....Johns is pound for pound the better RB this year. He took that ball out of the air and put it on the ground, this was the losing point because Bama owned ARKY in the air. NOBODY should ever blame Tiffin for that loss because he shouldn't have been in that situation!!! the game should have been over in the 4th when Sheila(yes Im calling him Sheila from now on out) nutted up on 3rd and 8. Would you put a Freshmen Kicker tht has missed 2 already and is playing his first game on the road on national TV in OT? SHEILA has to be the worse alumni(not a coach) in the SEC maybe nation. Florida is going to KILL US!

Mmmm. I think we will do well against Florida. Uh, wait, maybe you ain't us, huh? *grin*

Mmmm. I think we will do well against Florida. Uh, wait, maybe you ain't us, huh? *grin*

Im not one of these stereotypical blind Bama fans....I see the truth in my team and the truth is we are a Has been and will be one until our Atheltic Dept grows a set.

If I could manage the clock to get it down under a minute when I kicked the chip shot field goal, I'd do the same. However, JC would have been doing the kicking. I understand most Bama fans being P.O.'d at the overall play calling and use, or lack thereof, of the right players. But winning tight games at the end has been CMFS's trademark all through last year and so far this year. The strategy at the end was correct IMO but I agree with the complaints about not using your personnel to fit their strengths during the game.

Archived