keys to the game

duckhuntersc

Over on Cockytalk we have been talking about what Carolina has to do to beat Auburn, and then giving three key things that we need to do. Mine were:

1. Win the field position battle, we are 1st in the nation in net punt avg. We will have to keep that up thursday.

2. Stop the run game and force Auburn to be one dimensional.

3. Have a decent run game to run the clock down, we can not win a shootout.

I would be interested to know what you guys think are your keys to winning the game.

How did we beat USC last year? Tweak it a bit, maybe.

D:

1. Coverage allowing the linemen to sack the QB.

2. Stunts or filling the gaps. I have noticed less of a blitz package with this defensive coordinator, compared to last year. Last year the linebackers would stunt on the blitz, which I thought was most affective against the pass, especially Alabama.

3. Don't give up the big play (I'm not sure how effective USC is in the red zone against our D).

4.Cornerbacks need to play more to the inside when covering close. And, I notice a few defensive backs, while in coverage, would turn their backs to the quarter back. This is a basic no, no from high school ball. Never turn your back to the quarterback.

5. Don't over run the play allowing for misdirections and screens to develop into big gainers. Stay at home, but don't turn down a sack or hurry by the quarterback. Spurrier will use the reverse Thursday night, and maybe even a reverse pass. He will probably use a flea-flicker and or halfback pass. No more missed assignments guys.

6. No More arm tackles, put the should pads on they ### and wrap 'em up (I liked Herring's tackle, in the backfield, against LSU. Now that was a tackle).

On O: Frustrate Spurrier early and often.

1. Better blocking from the linemen.

2. No penalties, especially the stupid penalties.

3. Timing is everything when passing the football. Use the three-step drop to establish timing early in the game.

4. Use counter and misdirection plays after watching the defense for about two of their possessions.

5. Establish the running game when we are able to, using the three-step drop or flare passes to the halfback to keep USC's D honest. (Forcing a running attack when it's not working is a waste of clock).

6. I like running outside more than inside, but I'm going to leave that to Borges to decide, because he knows more about the USC D than I. But, I really like the concept.

7. Use the tight ends more on first down by using seam routes and the like.

8. We have to get Kenny Irons and Brad Lester into the flats without using a flare.

9. The offensive line has not been too effective protecting Brandon in the pocket, so we may need to have less passing out of the pocket.

10. I like a well-executed play-action or option pass (I don't know how well USC can defend the option).

i may be eating crow but i think we can stop them with a base defense blitzing linebackers every so often. They aren't going to run it on us so as long as we contain rice and the big play i don't see their offense doing all that much.

On offense for us i look for the usual from auburn, run, play-actions, and screens

I think that USC has to do what Buffalo tried to do and hope for some turnovers. Buffalo only allowed us one possession in the 1st quarter...and thus we only scored 10 points in the half. So ball control for you guys is the key.

:au::homer:

The D needs to have more speed than last week. We seemed a bit slower than the first two games, but several guys were sitting and they all were still banged up from LSU.

The O needs to be more balanced, set up the deep ball with runs and short passes...alla the '94 :au: offense.

AU keys to game:

1. Ball control: establish the run and run it down their throats. Eat up lots of clock on all drives.

2. Throw when the D lines up to stop the run (if they can.)

3. On D, shut down the run & get a pass rush or blitz on Newton to rattle him (because he's still relatively new to the position.)

4. Double-team Rice & force Newton to throw elsewhere. Under no circumstances allow those two to get any rythm going.

i may be eating crow but i think we can stop them with a base defense blitzing linebackers every so often. They aren't going to run it on us so as long as we contain rice and the big play i don't see their offense doing all that much.

On offense for us i look for the usual from auburn, run, play-actions, and screens

These kind of threads -- and similar television analysis -- have always amused me. It's Captain Obvious syndrome. It reminds me of this paraphrased excerpt from one of Kenny Stabler's pre-game nuggets of wisdom a couple of years ago when he was giving the "keys to Alabama victory"

Well, Eli, on defense, Alabama needs to concentrate on stopping the run as well as the pass. Got to keep this bunch off the field and off the scoreboard.

On offense, Eli, Alabama needs to be able to run the ball, but they've got to pass it some too. If they can run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run, they'll have a good chance of scoring points. To get the win, they've got to score more points than the defense gives up.

And turnovers, Eli. Bama needs to get more turnovers than it gives up. Special teams, too. Winning the field position battle would be a big plus for the Tide.

What it boils down to, Eli, is if the Bama defense can stop them from scoring and the Tide offense can put points on the board, it's going to be a good day.

These kind of threads -- and similar television analysis -- have always amused me. It's Captain Obvious syndrome. It reminds me of this paraphrased excerpt from one of Kenny Stabler's pre-game nuggets of wisdom a couple of years ago when he was giving the "keys to Alabama victory"

Well, Eli, on defense, Alabama needs to concentrate on stopping the run as well as the pass. Got to keep this bunch off the field and off the scoreboard.

On offense, Eli, Alabama needs to be able to run the ball, but they've got to pass it some too. If they can run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run, they'll have a good chance of scoring points. To get the win, they've got to score more points than the defense gives up.

And turnovers, Eli. Bama needs to get more turnovers than it gives up. Special teams, too. Winning the field position battle would be a big plus for the Tide.

What it boils down to, Eli, is if the Bama defense can stop them from scoring and the Tide offense can put points on the board, it's going to be a good day.

glad we could be of service to you

I am simply amazed that old kenny still has enough brain cells left to figure this out! :blink:

I am simply amazed that old kenny still has enough brain cells left to figure this out! :blink:

The beauty of his generic canned speech is that it's good for any game and it keeps the mouth-breating toothless masses nodding along in agreement by their radios each week: "Boy, dat Kenny! He sure knowed his stuff, don' he? Hahy June-yur, ... wut say yew hand me 'nother wun dem PBRs out da cool-lur? I cayn't wait for da kickoff. Don' dis team remind yew of da '92 team?"

I looked at the weather channel. Suppose to be mid 70's with a 30% chance of rain. Cool temps at night means guys should be flying compared to the hot weather they've been playing in during the day. If it does rain, do you think it will affect play calling? More running?

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/...&begDay=271

I remember against MSU, USC simply could not get the play calls in time to beat the play clock much less call an audible. Have they improved since then?

USC - I look for 2 well designed trick plays that will eventually be botched.

AU- Put taillights on Irons, cause that's all USC will see.

:roflol:

how does an au vs. sc discussion shift to a bash bama rant. Some people have serious obsession issues.

Not bash Bama, it was just a humorous aside.

I find the "keys to the game" discussions pretty funny.

In an effort to appease, here are the keys to the game:

Auburn's offense must find a way to score some points.

Auburn's defense must find a way to prevent S.Carolina from scoring more points than the AU offense does.

Kenny was right.

I looked at the weather channel. Suppose to be mid 70's with a 30% chance of rain. Cool temps at night means guys should be flying compared to the hot weather they've been playing in during the day. If it does rain, do you think it will affect play calling? More running?

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/...&begDay=271

I remember against MSU, USC simply could not get the play calls in time to beat the play clock much less call an audible. Have they improved since then?

USC - I look for 2 well designed trick plays that will eventually be botched.

AU- Put taillights on Irons, cause that's all USC will see.

South Carolina has improved actually. Think weve only had 1 or 2 since and that was when we first put Newton in. And this is my first post so Hi Auburn fans! heres to an injury free game tomorrow!

Hi Carolina Guy! Welcome to the begining of ORANGE CRUSH! It comes a little earlier this year :)

Go Tigers! War Eagle!

If it does rain, do you think it will affect play calling? More running?

I don't think a hurricane can stop the Tigers tonight. Definitely more ground game in wet weather. At least it doesn't say a chance of thunderstorms.

USC may go with a no-huddle offense and use hand signals to call plays from the sidelines like Spurrier did at Florida. Maybe that's what they practiced this week instead of preparing for Auburn. They didn't have much time to make changes. Personally, I believe we will basically see the same USC as last week with a few tweaks. However, Spurrier will have a few trick plays for us. He may even try a fake punt like CTT did a couple of weeks ago. Or, even a fake field goal or extra point. Who knows what Steve has planned for tonight, but whatever it is it's not going to be enough.

Archived