Doba Compares USC and Auburn

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in....xml&coll=2

Wash. State's Doba knows about Auburn, Southern Cal

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

DOUG SEGREST

News staff writer

Bill Doba, USA Today coaches' poll voter, has an edge on his 62 peers.

Doba is the only coach around who has seen two of the nation's top three teams up close this fall.

"I can tell you this: I've got Auburn and Southern Cal in my top three," said Doba, Washington State's football coach. "I can also tell you I'm not going to say which team I ranked ahead of the other. Not until I have to."

Coaches' votes can be made public after the final vote of the regular season, in December.

While Doba's mum about his order, he's not mum about his assessments of Auburn and USC. Auburn, No.2 in the AP poll and No.3 in the coaches' poll, beat Washington State 40-14 Sept. 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

USC (No.3 AP, No.2 coaches' poll) survived a visit to Washington State with a 28-22 victory Saturday.

"They're both good teams, but they're a little different," Doba said Tuesday. "I think Auburn's running game is better. Southern Cal has a slight edge in the passing game. The defenses are very similar. Both run to the ball very well and both have linebackers that are special."

In a candid phone interview, Doba broke the national title aspirants down:

Edges to Auburn - The Tigers have superior special teams, Doba said, adding the caveat: "Of course, USC doesn't kick off but once a game."

Punter Kody Blitz is a weapon with his ability to change field position. Running back Kenny Irons can dictate tempo and turn a game around.

And coach Tommy Tuberville has more lives than a tomcat.

"They've got a fourth-and-11 from their own 16 and he's calling a fake punt?" Doba said.

Washington State had narrowed Auburn's lead to 26-14 in the third quarter and seemingly stopped the Tigers on three downs on a critical possession. Out of punt formation, linebacker Will Herring took the direct snap and raced 42 yards for the first down.

"I told (Tuberville) afterward that I'd never forget that (call)," Doba said.

"Truly, I thought we played with Auburn for a while," he added. "There were a couple of plays that went against us late in the third quarter. On one, a kid missed an assignment on a screen pass when we had a chance to make it a five-point game."

Edges to USC - Doba likes Auburn quarterback Brandon Cox, noting the Trussville native is heady. But USC's John David Booty "always throws to the guy that's open, whether it's short or long. He takes what's there. He makes great decisions."

Another advantage for the Trojans is linebacker Rey Maluaga, "who's 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, runs sideline to sideline and can cover you deep."

USC played Washington State with two disadvantages. First, the Trojans played on the road. Second, they played without All-American wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett.

"I think that was to our advantage," Doba said. "But let me tell you, that (No.2 receiver) Steve Smith can play with anyone."

Smith had 11 catches for 186 yards and 2 TDs Saturday.

Doba said he would prefer that the coaches delay the voting until Oct. 1 because the preseason rankings are unfair to teams initially under the radar. He pointed to Michigan, which opened the season 15th in the USA Today poll and is now sixth, trailing Ohio State, USC, Auburn, West Virginia and Florida that began the preseason with higher rankings.

After Saturday, Doba won't be the lone coach able to compare Auburn and USC from personal experience. Houston Nutt brings Arkansas, a 50-14 loser to the Trojans on Sept. 2, to The Plain for an 11 a.m. CBS telecast.

Punter Kody Blitz is a weapon with his ability to change field position. Running back Kenny Irons can dictate tempo and turn a game around.

Kody Blitz eh? <_<

He was channelling Lou...

One miss on the Article Auburn was missing two starting linebackers as well, something that I think is lost on the Media this year.

Kody Blitz eh? <_<

Dont feel bad.... There are grammatical and spelling errors thoughout this article. Isn't that what an editor is for?

If Auburn doesn't beat :arky: this week 50-14 is that seen as a sign of weakness?

According to Holtz's comment made 2 weeks ago it is...because Lou has USC ranked #2 in his mind (or the gushy thing between his ears) because of what they did to Arkansas.

Oh yea that is right. So if Wash St is ranking lower in his mush then how does he explain the fact that USC almost lost? Then if you admit that Wash St is better then Arky what does that say about the trashing AU put on them.

No one beleives in "On any Given Sat" anymore.

Here is to beating Arky this week by 1 or by 100 does it really matter?

Oh yea that is right. So if Wash St is ranking lower in his mush then how does he explain the fact that USC almost lost? Then if you admit that Wash St is better then Arky what does that say about the trashing AU put on them.

No one beleives in "On any Given Sat" anymore.

Here is to beating Arky this week by 1 or by 100 does it really matter?

what if we beat them by 101 ???

Archived