The SEC

boddatiger99

LINK

SEC Might Be Too Good for Own Good

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer

The Southeastern Conference might be too good for its own good. With five teams still in the thick of the national-title chase, a so-called"game of the season"comes around nearly every week. This week it's No. 9 LSU at No. 5 Florida and No. 13 Tennessee facing No. 10 Georgia. In the SEC West, No. 2 Auburn will play Arkansas for first place.

But as the SEC eats its own, can a team survive to play for the national championship?

The surest way to play for the title is to go undefeated. But Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville warns would-be champs even that's no guarantee _ his Tigers went 13-0 in 2004 and were left out of the championship game.

The SEC, which always argues it's the nation's toughest conference, is down to three unbeatens _ Auburn, Florida and Georgia.

"There are only three of us left right now, and we all play each other,"Georgia coach Mark Richt said."We've got a big game this week, and Auburn and Florida play each other in a week. All three of us could very possibly end up with a loss. It'd be exciting to see a team (go undefeated), but this is a tough league."

The conference also boasts five of the top 13 teams in the AP poll. No other league has more than two in the top 15.

Florida is the only one of the SEC's top five teams that plays all the others. LSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Georgia each play three games against the Big Five. If that wasn't enough, a conference title game in Atlanta awaits the division winners.

"I think you'll have to be fortunate, avoid injuries,"LSU coach Les Miles said about going unbeaten."It's a difficult task at best."

The league looks so tough it begs the question: would a one-loss SEC team be more worthy of a spot in the BCS title game than an undefeated team from another league?

"I'd argue that, but I doubt it's going to happen,"said Richt, who has a vote in the coaches'poll that's part of the BCS standings."I don't know if I'd vote that way. I'd probably have to vote for the undefeated team. But if I thought the undefeated team played next to nobody and another team had one loss by one point ..."

That type of thinking might be the SEC's best shot, and LSU and Tennessee are counting on it.

Three weeks ago, LSU lost 7-3 at Auburn, and Tennessee fell 21-20 to Florida. Even so, the LSU Tigers and Volunteers still believe they have a shot to play in the BCS title game on Jan. 8 in Arizona if they win out. But only one will as they meet Nov. 4 in Knoxville.

"I think back in the mid-'90s there wasn't quite as many really good teams,"said South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, who won six SEC titles in a 12-year run with Florida."There are about six teams now that could win the league."

Led by his Fun-N-Gun Gators, the SEC had an offensive explosion. Now, it seems most of the Deep South's best athletes are playing defense.

The nation's top four scoring defenses are Georgia, which won 14-9 at Ole Miss on Saturday, LSU, Auburn and Florida.

"It's just kind of evolved that way,"Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer said."There's some outstanding defensive lines in this league. Those guys have a chance to control the game."

Auburn's slugfest with LSU has been the SEC's signature game so far. Long known as a league with speed to burn, the defenses of LSU and Auburn moved so fast it seemed they had 12 players to the offenses'10.

Defense also gave the Gators a win last week, when two fourth-quarter interceptions turned a close game into a 28-12 Florida victory at the Swamp.

For Florida, it was the first step in a brutal stretch of schedule. After playing LSU on Saturday, the Gators visit Auburn, then play Georgia on Oct. 28 in Jacksonville.

"We've just got to take it one week at a time,"said Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss using a cliche that really was the truth."Like we said, the SEC is competitive East or West. We've got to prepare every week for that team that we're facing and just go out and play our best game, and we'll come out on top."

LINK

..."I think back in the mid-'90s there wasn't quite as many really good teams,"said South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, who won six SEC titles in a 12-year run with Florida."There are about six teams now that could win the league."....

Maybe I missed it, but I could figure out five of the six teams - Auburn, LSU, Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. Who is the sixth?

No he clearly stated that they simply weren't good enough yet to beat Auburn...

Hmmm...I wonder if he's talking about Arky? Thats the only one I can think of...there are 5 elites...2 averages (SC and Arky)..and the other 5 are garbage

Spurier is almost certainly referring to his own team. They came very close to beating us. Was the comment made before or after the Auburn-USC game? The article was dated 10/4, but the comment may have come earlier. I look forward to USC muddling up the picture in the East

NO, Georgia Tech would not make it THIS year in the SEC, however, I do remember they beat Auburn the last two times we met!

Also, we all KNOW the SEC is the greatest - for heaven's sake it's the SOUTHeastern Conference. Everyone knows that EVERYTHING in the south is better. Football, bourbon, food, real estate, girls. Bless everyone else's heart - they just don't realize they are all inferior! :)

LINK

SEC Might Be Too Good for Own Good

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer

The Southeastern Conference might be too good for its own good. With five teams still in the thick of the national-title chase, a so-called"game of the season"comes around nearly every week. This week it's No. 9 LSU at No. 5 Florida and No. 13 Tennessee facing No. 10 Georgia. In the SEC West, No. 2 Auburn will play Arkansas for first place.

But as the SEC eats its own, can a team survive to play for the national championship?

The surest way to play for the title is to go undefeated. But Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville warns would-be champs even that's no guarantee _ his Tigers went 13-0 in 2004 and were left out of the championship game.

The SEC, which always argues it's the nation's toughest conference, is down to three unbeatens _ Auburn, Florida and Georgia.

"There are only three of us left right now, and we all play each other,"Georgia coach Mark Richt said."We've got a big game this week, and Auburn and Florida play each other in a week. All three of us could very possibly end up with a loss. It'd be exciting to see a team (go undefeated), but this is a tough league."

The conference also boasts five of the top 13 teams in the AP poll. No other league has more than two in the top 15.

Florida is the only one of the SEC's top five teams that plays all the others. LSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Georgia each play three games against the Big Five. If that wasn't enough, a conference title game in Atlanta awaits the division winners.

"I think you'll have to be fortunate, avoid injuries,"LSU coach Les Miles said about going unbeaten."It's a difficult task at best."

The league looks so tough it begs the question: would a one-loss SEC team be more worthy of a spot in the BCS title game than an undefeated team from another league?

"I'd argue that, but I doubt it's going to happen,"said Richt, who has a vote in the coaches'poll that's part of the BCS standings."I don't know if I'd vote that way. I'd probably have to vote for the undefeated team. But if I thought the undefeated team played next to nobody and another team had one loss by one point ..."

That type of thinking might be the SEC's best shot, and LSU and Tennessee are counting on it.

Three weeks ago, LSU lost 7-3 at Auburn, and Tennessee fell 21-20 to Florida. Even so, the LSU Tigers and Volunteers still believe they have a shot to play in the BCS title game on Jan. 8 in Arizona if they win out. But only one will as they meet Nov. 4 in Knoxville.

"I think back in the mid-'90s there wasn't quite as many really good teams,"said South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, who won six SEC titles in a 12-year run with Florida."There are about six teams now that could win the league."

Led by his Fun-N-Gun Gators, the SEC had an offensive explosion. Now, it seems most of the Deep South's best athletes are playing defense.

The nation's top four scoring defenses are Georgia, which won 14-9 at Ole Miss on Saturday, LSU, Auburn and Florida.

"It's just kind of evolved that way,"Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer said."There's some outstanding defensive lines in this league. Those guys have a chance to control the game."

Auburn's slugfest with LSU has been the SEC's signature game so far. Long known as a league with speed to burn, the defenses of LSU and Auburn moved so fast it seemed they had 12 players to the offenses'10.

Defense also gave the Gators a win last week, when two fourth-quarter interceptions turned a close game into a 28-12 Florida victory at the Swamp.

For Florida, it was the first step in a brutal stretch of schedule. After playing LSU on Saturday, the Gators visit Auburn, then play Georgia on Oct. 28 in Jacksonville.

"We've just got to take it one week at a time,"said Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss using a cliche that really was the truth."Like we said, the SEC is competitive East or West. We've got to prepare every week for that team that we're facing and just go out and play our best game, and we'll come out on top."

The nation of voters just doesnt realize how hard it is to go undefeated in the Sec with 5 teams in the top 13!!!!!!

Bless everyone else's heart - they just don't realize they are all inferior!

:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

Archived