David Marsh IS Leaving

aulax1

October 18, 2006

Dear Auburn Family:

I wanted to personally inform you that Auburn Director of Competitive Aquatics and men’s and women’s swimming and diving head coach, David Marsh, is resigning from his current position at Auburn.

David will continue to work as head coach for Auburn through the end of the 2006-2007 competitive season. He will begin his new job at the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) Center of Excellence in Charlotte, NC, when he completes his remarkable tenure here at Auburn.

As Head Elite Coach and CEO of the USOC program, based at the Mecklenberg Aquatic Club, David will pursue his dream of developing U.S. Olympic hopefuls.

David is a true Auburn man, and we will miss him greatly. Under his leadership, the Auburn swimming and diving programs have become the standard by which others across the country are measured. We deeply appreciate his service to the University and the Auburn community.

I want to assure you that we have done everything possible to keep Coach Marsh at Auburn. Coach Marsh has a rare chance to pursue a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. This is an opportunity he and his family simply cannot pass up.

We are working hard to assure a smooth transition. I am personally committed to do what it takes to allow our student-athletes in all programs to continue to compete for championships. The swimming and diving program is an integral part of our goal of becoming the nation’s preeminent athletics program.

I want to share a few facts to illustrate our commitment to the Auburn swimming and diving program:

• AU President Dr. Ed Richardson has been fully supportive of our efforts to keep Coach Marsh here at Auburn. Dr. Richardson met personally with David, at my request, to discuss his future.

• Coach Marsh’s dream of a world-class outdoor training pool to complement the James E. Martin Aquatics Center will soon become reality.

• The Auburn Board of Trustees approved the outdoor pool project in June 2006. The planning phase of the project is completed. Construction will soon begin. When completed, Auburn’s indoor and outdoor facilities will rank among the best in the nation, ensuring a bright future for our swimming and diving program.

I am also ecstatic to announce that six-time Olympic coach Richard Quick will serve as an advisor to our program as we move forward. As many of you know, Quick served as men’s and women’s head coach at Auburn from 1978-1982. He has captured 12 NCAA team titles during his 28-year collegiate coaching career, the most in the history of Division I coaching. Most recently, he coached the Stanford women for 17 years.

Coach Marsh’s opportunity to work with the USOC is a credit to the program he built at Auburn and the student-athletes who excelled under his leadership. David Marsh is a great Auburn man, and he always will be, whether he is in Auburn or Charlotte, NC.

Today I am meeting with our swimming and diving teams to emphasize my personal commitment to ensure our program continues to compete at the highest level.

I will share more information about the future of our swimming and diving programs as we move forward. Coach Marsh’s departure at season’s end will mark the end of a great era at Auburn. We will do everything we can to ensure the next era is just as bright.

War Eagle!

Jay Jacobs

Director of Athletics

I hate this!!!!! Hope he can make us happy in the Olympics!!

I F He is leaving to better himself with a better opportunity, I wish him all the best. I pray that WE didn't drop the ball on this one.

Oh man, that sucks! At least he is going to do the Olympic thing and not going to another schoool. I really hope this is just his dream, and not something we could have avoided.

Thanks for all your years of excellent work Coach Marsh! And good luck in the future!

Brothers and Sisters, that is the biggest CYA job you will ever witness. Jacobs blew this bigger than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

I cant go into the details here but Jacobs ia a first class jerk. I fought him getting hired when they were doing the bogus "search." They had 2-3 really good candidates and of course picked Jacobs. Of course the best reason to hire him was that he is best friends with Earlon McWhorter's son in law.

I better quit now before I say too much, but remember this day as the day Jacobs RAN OFF the best coach in Auburn history.

war eagle coach marsh... thanks for building the best swimming program in the country!! i hope we find someone that can continue his legacy here at auburn

October 18, 2006

Dear Auburn Family:

I wanted to personally inform you that Auburn Director of Competitive Aquatics and men’s and women’s swimming and diving head coach, David Marsh, is resigning from his current position at Auburn.

David will continue to work as head coach for Auburn through the end of the 2006-2007 competitive season. He will begin his new job at the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) Center of Excellence in Charlotte, NC, when he completes his remarkable tenure here at Auburn.

As Head Elite Coach and CEO of the USOC program, based at the Mecklenberg Aquatic Club, David will pursue his dream of developing U.S. Olympic hopefuls.

David is a true Auburn man, and we will miss him greatly. Under his leadership, the Auburn swimming and diving programs have become the standard by which others across the country are measured. We deeply appreciate his service to the University and the Auburn community.

I want to assure you that we have done everything possible NOTHING AT ALL to keep Coach Marsh at Auburn. Coach Marsh has a rare chance to pursue a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. This is an opportunity he and his family simply cannot pass up. Fixed that for you Jacobs...

We are working hard to assure a smooth transition. I am personally committed to do what it takes to allow our student-athletes in all programs to continue to compete for championships. The swimming and diving program is an integral part of our goal of becoming the nation’s preeminent athletics program.

I want to share a few facts to illustrate our commitment to the Auburn swimming and diving program:

• AU President Dr. Ed Richardson has been fully supportive of our efforts to keep Coach Marsh here at Auburn. Dr. Richardson met personally with David, at my request, to discuss his future.

• Coach Marsh’s dream of a world-class outdoor training pool to complement the James E. Martin Aquatics Center will soon become reality. What, five years after it was promised? Anyone see any work going on it now?

• The Auburn Board of Trustees approved the outdoor pool project in June 2006. The planning phase of the project is completed. Construction will soon begin. When completed, Auburn’s indoor and outdoor facilities will rank among the best in the nation, ensuring a bright future for our swimming and diving program.

I am also ecstatic to announce that six-time Olympic coach Richard Quick will serve as an advisor to our program as we move forward. As many of you know, Quick served as men’s and women’s head coach at Auburn from 1978-1982. He has captured 12 NCAA team titles during his 28-year collegiate coaching career, the most in the history of Division I coaching. Most recently, he coached the Stanford women for 17 years.

Coach Marsh’s opportunity to work with the USOC is a credit to the program he built at Auburn and the student-athletes who excelled under his leadership. David Marsh is a great Auburn man, and he always will be, whether he is in Auburn or Charlotte, NC.

Today I am meeting with our swimming and diving teams to emphasize my personal commitment to ensure our program continues to compete at the highest level to cover my a$$ when this all blows up in my face. Fixed that for you too Jacobs.

I will share more information about the future of our swimming and diving programs as we move forward. Coach Marsh’s departure at season’s end will mark the end of a great era at Auburn. We will do everything we can to ensure the next era is just as bright.

War Eagle!

Jay Jacobs

Director of Athletics

Jacobs:

Where is the new practice facility for the basketball team?

Where is the new Academic building for sports other than football?

Will we get a new Coliseum or a renovation?

Where is the new weightrooms Marsh asked for?

In short, just what do you really do to rearn that paycheck of yours?

Brothers and Sisters, that is the biggest CYA job you will ever witness. Jacobs blew this bigger than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

I cant go into the details here but Jacobs ia a first class jerk. I fought him getting hired when they were doing the bogus "search." They had 2-3 really good candidates and of course picked Jacobs. Of course the best reason to hire him was that he is best friends with Earlon McWhorter's son in law.

I better quit now before I say too much, but remember this day as the day Jacobs RAN OFF the best coach in Auburn history.

I was unhappy when Jacobs was picked also. Then he quickly did several things that seemed to show pretty poor judgement. Hasn't been too bad lately, but if it really is his fault that Marsh is leaving, then that is a HUGE mistake. You got anything you can share that confirms your allegations (either in this specific context or just about Jacobs in general)?

I was unhappy when Jacobs was picked also. Then he quickly did several things that seemed to show pretty poor judgement. Hasn't been too bad lately, but if it really is his fault that Marsh is leaving, then that is a HUGE mistake. You got anything you can share that confirms your allegations (either in this specific context or just about Jacobs in general)?

Premium boards and e-mails say this is almost 100% personal problems between Jacobs and Marsh, a head coach in "a multiple national Championship sport that is not generating any revenue as yet."

Premium boards and e-mails say this is almost 100% personal problems between Jacobs and "a multiple national Championship sport that is not generating any revenue as yet."

Uggh! That is just ridiculous. Do sports besides football and basketball generate revenue at any schools? When you have a coach who has brought home TEN national championships, fifteen SEC championships, coached dozens of Olympians and is an Auburn grad, you would think you would put aside any personal differences and do what you had to do to keep him at Auburn.

I don't know any inside info. All I know is that I have never been happy or satisfied with JJ. He made several errors in handling personnel issues soon after he started. Even thought the eagle flight worked out at the uf game, I will stick by my comment about that situation -- JJ has turned AU into a $ whore. Maybe this is crude but I feel that he is selling out AU at the expense of our integrity. Very few, IF ANY, of the major projects discussed and so called promised over the last 3 years have come to fruition.

Wonder what will happen to Marsh's assistant coaches. I'm sure they are as good as most of the head coaches out there. Hopefully we can keep any/all.

Jay Jacobs is nothing more than a glorified Dorm Supervisor.We should have hired the guy at LSU

I disagree with your assessment. Asst. sup. is more like it.Jay Jacobs is pitiful. He was not even close to the best candidate for the job.He has nowhere near the experience or training for the job. However, he is willing to do what he is told. Auburn has some serious problems under the surface. Check out www.takebackauburn.com. :au:

The Auburn family needs to generate more interest in the other sports besides football. Just take a look at aunation and you will see a million posts a day in the football forum and VERY FEW in basketball, and the Olympic sports. I realize football will always have our hearts, but there are plenty of other enjoyable sports at Auburn University. I have been to a few other schools to witness their support of basketball, baseball, track and field and swimming and there is no contest. It is embarrassing to attend an Auburn basketball game and watch the crowd jsut sitting on their butts bored as hell. No enthusiasm whatsoever. Why can we get riled up for football games, but not basketball? Why can't we as fans passionately support a swimming program that has won 10 national championships? Why can't we get a decent following for track anf field? People want to point the finger at AU trustees and the athletic department and Jay Jacobs and soem of the criticism is warranted, but some of the criticism is also justified for the fans and alumni. Auburn is so much more than a football team. We preach all the time about being this wonderful Auburn family and all that garbage and talk about how other schools don't have what we have. I believe it's past time that we walk the walk.

JJ was hired because he is a lackey for Lowder and the other BOT members that have like to abuse their power.

At least Coach Marsh is moving to a job that I would say is the biggest job a swimming coach can get in this country. That speaks a ton about him and the program he has built at AU for him to be offered that position. But, I have also heard they have been wanting him for the last three years, so this was nothing new that has been on the table for him. He has been turning it down because of his love for AU and what he had built, but JJ has basically forced him to leave.

To put what Marsh was declining for the last three years...how many people do you know, in the corporate world, would turn down a CEO's position and rather keep their manager's position. Just because they had made their department into a well oiled machine and felt like he would be betraying his department to take a promotion? That is what Marsh has been doing for the last few years. Speaks volumes about the character of the man.

Good luck Coach Marsh! Here is to one more NC before you leave.

Jay Jacobs is nothing more than a glorified Dorm Supervisor.We should have hired the guy at LSU

:clap: The guy I went on PF shilling for several times. The guy CTT wanted.

Nobody can fill Marsh's shoes, but it looks like we may have a great replacement lined up after this season. The only question is, with so many seasons under his belt, how many more can we expect out of him?

Marsh To Leave AU After 2006-2007 Season

Marsh With the 2006 NCAA Championship Trophies By Mark Murphy

Inside the Auburn Tigers

Posted Oct 18, 2006

Auburn, Ala.--The most successful coach in Auburn University history is leaving the university at the end of the 2006-2007 season to take a pair of jobs in Charlotte, N.C.

David Marsh, head coach of the defending national champion Auburn men’s and women’s swimming teams, announced on Wednesday that he is leaving his alma mater where he was an All-American swimmer.

Marsh will take over the position as director of the prominent Mecklenburg Aquatic Club, which established the United States Olympic Committee Center of Excellence. Marsh will become chief executive officer of the club. He will also be the head coach of the elite team designed to develop Olympic caliber swimmers for the United States.

“This is a unique, first-ever position that was created by the United States Olympic Committee, USA Swimming and the Mecklenburg Aquatic Club and is a outstanding opportunity for me to assist in the development of future American Olympians,” Marsh says.

“I am an Auburn man and it will be extremely difficult to leave the department, university and community, however, I feel this decision was made at this time in the best interest of my family as well as my career.

"Jay Jacobs (Auburn athletic director) has the department headed in the right direction and is committed to maintaining the level of excellence of the swimming and diving program. I will cherish this season as we compete for two more national championships in 2007.”

Also on Wednesday, Jacobs announced that six-time Olympic coach Richard Quick will serve as an adviser to the Auburn swimming teams this season.

Quick, Auburn's highly successful men’s and women’s head coach from 1978-82, has won a total of 12 NCAA team titles during his 28-year collegiate coaching career, the most in the history of Division I coaching. Quick coached the Stanford women's team for 17 seasons before deciding to take a break after the 2005-2006 season. Quick and Marsh have a close relationship. Marsh became a world class backstroker while swimming for Quick at Auburn.

“We are ecstatic that Richard Quick is coming on board," Jacobs says. "His assistance will be invaluable. Coach Marsh set the bar high for our program, and we are doing everything we can to keep it there."

Quick is likely to be a leading candidate to take over as head coach of the Tigers after Marsh leaves.

"We are committed to maintaining that tradition of excellence, as evidenced by our decision to move forward with plans to build a world-class outdoor training pool," Jacobs says. "This project will ensure that our program remains competitive at the highest level.”

Marsh notes that it wasn't easy to decide to leave Auburn. "I love Auburn and have spent much of my life here as both as student and a coach. Auburn means a great deal to me."

Marsh rebuilt a once strong Auburn program that had gone into a slump after Quick left and led the men’s team to the first NCAA title in school history, in any sport, at the 1997 NCAA meet in Minneapolis. He has now coached the Tigers to 10 NCAA titles. The only other Auburn team to win an NCAA title has been the 2006 Auburn women’s track and field team.

The men’s team has won the last four NCAA titles and the past 10 Southeastern Conference championships. The men’s team has gone five consecutive seasons through 41 events without losing a dual meet competition. Marsh’s 2004 team set an NCAA meet record with 634 points scored.

David Marsh yells to one of his swimmers at the 2006 NCAA Men's Championship meet in Atlanta. He has been named national coach of the year nine times in his 16 seasons at Auburn. Last season's seniors never lost a competition in their four years at AU.

The women’s team has won four of the past five NCAA Championships. Marsh is the only coach in history to lead a men's and women's team to the NCAA swimming title in the same season.

Marsh, a 13-time SEC Coach of the Year, was an All-American backstroker for the Tigers. He told his swimmers on Wednesday afternoon of his plans to leave after the 2006-2007 season. Both teams are expected to have good chances to repeat as NCAA champions.

A plunge into the pool is Auburn's traditional way of celebrating an NCAA swimming title.

Marsh told his team of his plans prior to Wednesday's practice with athletic director Jay Jacobs in attendance.

“David Marsh has established a tradition of excellence at Auburn that is unparalleled,” Jacobs says. “Under his leadership, the Auburn swimming and diving programs have become the standard by which others across the country are measured. He is a true Auburn man, and we deeply appreciate his service to the university and the Auburn community.

“We have done everything possible to keep Coach Marsh at Auburn, but he has been given an opportunity to pursue a dream of helping develop America’s Olympic hopefuls. We are saddened to see Coach Marsh go, but we realize this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The Tigers cheer a good performance at the 2006 NCCA men's meet.

At the 2004 Olympics, a dozen of his Auburn swimmers competed and five earned medals. He was head coach of the United States team at the 2003 World Championships and Marsh has a long list of other honors on his coaching resume.

During his tenure at Auburn, close to 200 of his swimmers have earned academic All-America honors. Last season 15 members of his men's and women's team won that honors, more than any other team in the country.

The Auburn women's swimming team poses at Toomer's Corner after winning the 2006 NCAA title.

In 2005 he was presented The Walter Gilbert Award, the highest honor Auburn University offers for a former student athlete.

Earlier this year, the Auburn men's team was invited to the White House to be honored by President George Bush for a second straight year. The women's team was also honored by the president this year.

Both Auburn teams are 1-0 to start the current season with dual meet victories over LSU.

Nobody can fill Marsh's shoes, but it looks like we may have a great replacement lined up after this season. The only question is, with so many seasons under his belt, how many more can we expect out of him?

Marsh To Leave AU After 2006-2007 Season

Marsh With the 2006 NCAA Championship Trophies By Mark Murphy

Inside the Auburn Tigers

Posted Oct 18, 2006

Auburn, Ala.--The most successful coach in Auburn University history is leaving the university at the end of the 2006-2007 season to take a pair of jobs in Charlotte, N.C.

David Marsh, head coach of the defending national champion Auburn men’s and women’s swimming teams, announced on Wednesday that he is leaving his alma mater where he was an All-American swimmer.

Marsh will take over the position as director of the prominent Mecklenburg Aquatic Club, which established the United States Olympic Committee Center of Excellence. Marsh will become chief executive officer of the club. He will also be the head coach of the elite team designed to develop Olympic caliber swimmers for the United States.

“This is a unique, first-ever position that was created by the United States Olympic Committee, USA Swimming and the Mecklenburg Aquatic Club and is a outstanding opportunity for me to assist in the development of future American Olympians,” Marsh says.

“I am an Auburn man and it will be extremely difficult to leave the department, university and community, however, I feel this decision was made at this time in the best interest of my family as well as my career.

"Jay Jacobs (Auburn athletic director) has the department headed in the right direction and is committed to maintaining the level of excellence of the swimming and diving program. I will cherish this season as we compete for two more national championships in 2007.”

Also on Wednesday, Jacobs announced that six-time Olympic coach Richard Quick will serve as an adviser to the Auburn swimming teams this season.

Quick, Auburn's highly successful men’s and women’s head coach from 1978-82, has won a total of 12 NCAA team titles during his 28-year collegiate coaching career, the most in the history of Division I coaching. Quick coached the Stanford women's team for 17 seasons before deciding to take a break after the 2005-2006 season. Quick and Marsh have a close relationship. Marsh became a world class backstroker while swimming for Quick at Auburn.

“We are ecstatic that Richard Quick is coming on board," Jacobs says. "His assistance will be invaluable. Coach Marsh set the bar high for our program, and we are doing everything we can to keep it there."

Quick is likely to be a leading candidate to take over as head coach of the Tigers after Marsh leaves.

"We are committed to maintaining that tradition of excellence, as evidenced by our decision to move forward with plans to build a world-class outdoor training pool," Jacobs says. "This project will ensure that our program remains competitive at the highest level.”

Marsh notes that it wasn't easy to decide to leave Auburn. "I love Auburn and have spent much of my life here as both as student and a coach. Auburn means a great deal to me."

Marsh rebuilt a once strong Auburn program that had gone into a slump after Quick left and led the men’s team to the first NCAA title in school history, in any sport, at the 1997 NCAA meet in Minneapolis. He has now coached the Tigers to 10 NCAA titles. The only other Auburn team to win an NCAA title has been the 2006 Auburn women’s track and field team.

The men’s team has won the last four NCAA titles and the past 10 Southeastern Conference championships. The men’s team has gone five consecutive seasons through 41 events without losing a dual meet competition. Marsh’s 2004 team set an NCAA meet record with 634 points scored.

David Marsh yells to one of his swimmers at the 2006 NCAA Men's Championship meet in Atlanta. He has been named national coach of the year nine times in his 16 seasons at Auburn. Last season's seniors never lost a competition in their four years at AU.

The women’s team has won four of the past five NCAA Championships. Marsh is the only coach in history to lead a men's and women's team to the NCAA swimming title in the same season.

Marsh, a 13-time SEC Coach of the Year, was an All-American backstroker for the Tigers. He told his swimmers on Wednesday afternoon of his plans to leave after the 2006-2007 season. Both teams are expected to have good chances to repeat as NCAA champions.

A plunge into the pool is Auburn's traditional way of celebrating an NCAA swimming title.

Marsh told his team of his plans prior to Wednesday's practice with athletic director Jay Jacobs in attendance.

“David Marsh has established a tradition of excellence at Auburn that is unparalleled,” Jacobs says. “Under his leadership, the Auburn swimming and diving programs have become the standard by which others across the country are measured. He is a true Auburn man, and we deeply appreciate his service to the university and the Auburn community.

“We have done everything possible to keep Coach Marsh at Auburn, but he has been given an opportunity to pursue a dream of helping develop America’s Olympic hopefuls. We are saddened to see Coach Marsh go, but we realize this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The Tigers cheer a good performance at the 2006 NCCA men's meet.

At the 2004 Olympics, a dozen of his Auburn swimmers competed and five earned medals. He was head coach of the United States team at the 2003 World Championships and Marsh has a long list of other honors on his coaching resume.

During his tenure at Auburn, close to 200 of his swimmers have earned academic All-America honors. Last season 15 members of his men's and women's team won that honors, more than any other team in the country.

The Auburn women's swimming team poses at Toomer's Corner after winning the 2006 NCAA title.

In 2005 he was presented The Walter Gilbert Award, the highest honor Auburn University offers for a former student athlete.

Earlier this year, the Auburn men's team was invited to the White House to be honored by President George Bush for a second straight year. The women's team was also honored by the president this year.

Both Auburn teams are 1-0 to start the current season with dual meet victories over LSU.

All that aside, will Quick get any better threatment?

All that aside, will Quick get any better threatment?

That is the million dollar question isn't it? If Quick gets the job, then there should ne no dropoff in recruits because of his name and experience. The program will still excel with him at the healm. But will JJ eventually run him off to because of broken promises and disrespect for the swimming coach.

My question is, who is next? When will he shoot for Tuberville? Or is he that stupid? Now, that's something I'd like to see! I have a hunch Jacobs might have bit off more than he could chew there.

Archived