ODDBALL QUESTION FOR STAT TIGER...

otterinbham

Okay. Pickup the slide rule and see if there are any obscure statistic for the following:

Do football teams whose jerseys have player names on the back do worse than football teams whose jersey DON'T have player names on the back?

It's a serious question.

That would be tough one to answer...what about teams like VT who didn't have the names on the back of the jersey till Nike ruined their old-school look?

And vise-versa, like Miss St. taking the names off the backs when Croom arrived?

That would be tough one to answer...what about teams like VT who didn't have the names on the back of the jersey till Nike ruined their old-school look?

And vise-versa, like Miss St. taking the names off the backs when Croom arrived?

Mississippi State would have to be taken out of the equation, all those games in the L column would skew the results. :(

I don't have any stats to back it up, but my personal opinion is that it doesn't matter. It's funny, you hear all the time about coaches coming to new places and the first thing they do is to take the names off the back of the jerseys for "team unity" and to me it's one of the stupidest motivational tools ever devised. I really don't think anyone cares if their name is on the back or not, because in today's media-blanketed college football world, if you're good, people will know your name anyway (see Bush, Leinart, Quinn, etc. who all didn't have their names on the back). In fact, it's a good thing to have when you have jerseys like ours where you can't read the numbers anyway, and the only way you can tell is from the name! If I recall, Fran did it when he got to A&M and it sure has worked wonders for them. :rolleyes:

I don't have any stats to back it up, but my personal opinion is that it doesn't matter. It's funny, you hear all the time about coaches coming to new places and the first thing they do is to take the names off the back of the jerseys for "team unity" and to me it's one of the stupidest motivational tools ever devised. I really don't think anyone cares if their name is on the back or not, because in today's media-blanketed college football world, if you're good, people will know your name anyway (see Bush, Leinart, Quinn, etc. who all didn't have their names on the back). In fact, it's a good thing to have when you have jerseys like ours where you can't read the numbers anyway, and the only way you can tell is from the name!

I dont have any problems reading the jersey numbers...cept for Brandons his jersey is always bunched up...but I know which one he is cause he stands behind number #50....err I mean #68 ;)

Archived