Email from Jay Jacobs

AUJarhead

Got this in an email from Jay Jacobs:

TV scheduling

With our historic rivalry game against Georgia on Saturday, I thought some of you might like to know more about the television scheduling process.

Some of you are already asking: Why would the Auburn-Georgia game be scheduled for 11:30 a.m.? The answer is the Southeastern Conference has contracts with the television networks that allow them to pick the games they prefer and when to air them.

Here is how it works: CBS gets the first option to decide which conference game to air at 2:30 p.m. They chose to feature South Carolina at Florida. The game marks Coach Steve Spurrier’s first return to Gainesville.

After the CBS pick, ESPN, Lincoln Financial and finally ESPN2 select from the remaining games in that order. ESPN chose to air Alabama-LSU as their night game, which left our game with Georgia as the obvious choice for Lincoln Financial. It marks our eighth televised game this season and our first home game of the year on Lincoln Financial. Let’s remember that no matter the time of the kickoff, this game is a big one. We need you to make this the loudest game ever broadcast by Lincoln Financial.

Hopefully this explanation will help you understand how TV games are scheduled. We are bound to this selection process through the conference contract, which, I should add, we are fortunate to have. It is a lucrative contract that provides significant revenue and positive exposure for our program.

Thanks. It was as most of us thought it was. Jacobs nor the SEC had any control over it. TV rules the scheduling.

I agree we need to wake up EARLY and be ready to make some NOISE!

WAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR

EAGLE

HEY!

Exactly. Bring much coffee to the tailgates and maybe a little something for that coffee...

We all agree that it sucks being on the LF game with the Daves, but there is nothing we can do about it but make it the loudest LF broadcast ever.

I did not realize that LF had the pick before ESPN2. Or did I read the email wrong? If it is true, it would seem that the UT-Ark game would be picked before us, since that game has implications to the SEC West. (Well, to be truthful, so does our game).

I did not realize that LF had the pick before ESPN2. Or did I read the email wrong? If it is true, it would seem that the UT-Ark game would be picked before us, since that game has implications to the SEC West. (Well, to be truthful, so does our game).

I think you are reading it wrong but I am not sure either. :lol: LF has the pick after ESPN, but there are times where they may have the pick over ESPN. Like the rumor that LF wanted to televise the LSU game and ESPN wanted our game. But because LF had already shown a LSU home game, LSU supposedly could turn it down since LF had not shown an AU home game yet this year. IF LSU actually had the power to turn down LF for that reason, then LF had not choice but to show our game since we were their only other option. In this case, LF had the pick over ESPN. But, if LF had already shown one our home games and they had no other option, then ESPN would have gotten their pick without having to worry about LF's contract obligations. LSU would have had to suck it up and play on LF if our ESPN's first choice was our game.

Sounds confusing doesn't it?

LF has the pick after ESPN, but there are times where they may have the pick over ESPN. Like the rumor that LF wanted to televise the LSU game and ESPN wanted our game. But because LF had already shown a LSU home game, LSU supposedly could turn it down since LF had not shown an AU home game yet this year. IF LSU actually had the power to turn down LF for that reason, then LF had not choice but to show our game since we were their only other option. In this case, LF had the pick over ESPN. But, if LF had already shown one our home games and they had no other option, then ESPN would have gotten their pick without having to worry about LF's contract obligations. LSU would have had to suck it up and play on LF if our ESPN's first choice was our game.

Yeah, but who's on first? B)

Oh and how about Notre Dame not being televised this weekend for the first time since 1992. OHHHHHHHHH poorrrrr Notre Dame... What will they do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Al...p&type=lgns

best news I've had today

The email from Jacobs is pretty clear to me.

1st - CBS, 2nd - ESPN, 3rd - LF, and 4th - ESPN2

Why the Tenn/Ark game would go last is beyond me though. I can understand SC/Fla being a big deal with Spurrier, but I figured they'd get one of the ESPN games. I guarantee if LSU/bama was in Tusc., that would be the LF game, but since LSU has to have their night games, we get screwed with the early game.

They announced on the WJOX Dunaway and Brown radio that ESPN has a finite number of 2nd picks and only have 2 left this season, so they allowed LF to have the second pick this weekend.

Still seems strange to me, because next weeks games are crap except for the Iron Bowl. So why waste a pick on them. Unless they want to be sure and get UT/Vandy. (Other choices are Ole Miss/LSU or Ark/Miss. St.)

no matter who picks up the game, why @ 11:30 a.m?

why can't LF make it a night game?

They don't have enough money to pay for the lights.

I agree we need to wake up EARLY and be ready to make some NOISE!

WAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR

EAGLE

HEY!

I'm thinking eggs and kegs and maybe a screwdriver or 2

no matter who picks up the game, why @ 11:30 a.m?

why can't LF make it a night game?

It would be hard to sell a night game...there are a bunch on at night already. They have to sell their programming because they are not a network, the 11:30 slot gives them minimal competition.

what network airs LF? i have been out of the south for nearly 11 years. i guess i was thinking it was a network like fox sports west or turner sports.

what network airs LF? i have been out of the south for nearly 11 years. i guess i was thinking it was a network like fox sports west or turner sports.

It's the new name of Jefferson Pilot, so which ever channel would air JP games now shows LFS games.

It could be any of the network affiliates. I am close to God's Country and our source for LF is WRBL a CBS affiliate out of Columbus, GA. Where as in Montgomery, it comes on WSFA an NBC affiliate.

The SEC just needs to create their own network and conference and their own NCAA and say the heck with it. Recruit about 80 top notch programs and see what happens.

It could be any of the network affiliates. I am close to God's Country and our source for LF is WRBL a CBS affiliate out of Columbus, GA. Where as in Montgomery, it comes on WSFA an NBC affiliate.

The SEC just needs to create their own network and conference and their own NCAA and say the heck with it. Recruit about 80 top notch programs and see what happens.

I'm in Mobile and LF airs on our UPN network. :cheer::au:

Archived