Clock rules loophole

CircleDrill

I think the refs got the call wrong. I believe that with the offsides penalty that the clock should have been reset the the previous time. It is possible though with the new rules changes that there might be some sort of a loop hole there. Don't really know.

It's not a dead ball foul nor should the time be restored according to the rules. The Wisconsin coach just found a loophole in the new rules and exploited it. It was a very smart move. In the beginning there was enough time on the clock for PSU to get a decent return, maybe complete a couple of long passes and kick a FG. The Wisconsin strategy eliminated that possibility so to me it was genius on the part of the Wisconsin coach. On the other side, old Jopa clearly didn't have a clue what was going on and went on a tirade.

So right now, it would be good for any team that has a small lead with under a minute to go to do this so the other team doesn't get a decent chance to score before the half or game ends. Hope Tubs is aware since he was on the rules committee that made the new rules.

One good example......if the current rules had been in effect and our coach used the strategy employed by Wisconsin, the Van Tiffin kick would likely have never happened.

Free Kick Formation

ARTICLE 2. A ball from a free kick formation must be kicked legally

and from some point on Team A’s restraining line and on or between the

inbounds lines. After the ball is ready for play and for any reason it falls

from the tee, Team A shall not kick the ball and the official shall sound his

whistle immediately. When the ball is kicked (A.R. 6-1-2-I-IV):

a. Each Team A player, except the holder and kicker of a place kick, must

be behind the ball (A.R. 6-1-2-V and VI) [s18].

PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot, five yards

from the spot where the dead ball belongs to Team B after

Team B’s run, or the spot where the ball is placed after a

touchback [s18] (A.R. 6-1-2-VII).

b. All players of each team must be inbounds [s19].

c. At least four Team A players must be on each side of the kicker [s19]

so, is it at the referee's discretion how to assess the penalty? if so, i wonder if they would have assessed it at the end of PSU's return the second time....but since they had offsetting fouls, the down must be replayed.

Free Kick Formation

ARTICLE 2. A ball from a free kick formation must be kicked legally

and from some point on Team A’s restraining line and on or between the

inbounds lines. After the ball is ready for play and for any reason it falls

from the tee, Team A shall not kick the ball and the official shall sound his

whistle immediately. When the ball is kicked (A.R. 6-1-2-I-IV):

a. Each Team A player, except the holder and kicker of a place kick, must

be behind the ball (A.R. 6-1-2-V and VI) [s18].

PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot, five yards

from the spot where the dead ball belongs to Team B after

Team B’s run, or the spot where the ball is placed after a

touchback [s18] (A.R. 6-1-2-VII).

b. All players of each team must be inbounds [s19].

c. At least four Team A players must be on each side of the kicker [s19]

so, is it at the referee's discretion how to assess the penalty? if so, i wonder if they would have assessed it at the end of PSU's return the second time....but since they had offsetting fouls, the down must be replayed.

wow, ok. my bad on that. i just assumed that offsides was a dead ball in all situations. see the logical error of that thought now. interesting.

Well, using this logic, why don't you just do this for the rest of the game if you have a lead? I mean they can only penalize you 5 yards with a re-kick and then half-the-distance if it is less than 5 yards. It could theoretically go on ad nauseum.

Same thing is true with "injured players" for a free timeout. Everytime you want to control the clock or control game momentum, just tell a player to stay down. Officials call timeout. Your player stays down...gets up....off the field....back in on the next play.

I mean all this stuff is low character, but it is legal.

Well, using this logic, why don't you just do this for the rest of the game if you have a lead? I mean they can only penalize you 5 yards with a re-kick and then half-the-distance if it is less than 5 yards. It could theoretically go on ad nauseum.

Same thing is true with "injured players" for a free timeout. Everytime you want to control the clock or control game momentum, just tell a player to stay down. Officials call timeout. Your player stays down...gets up....off the field....back in on the next play.

I mean all this stuff is low character, but it is legal.

well, one of 2 things could/would happen

could: have it ran back for a TD (since theoretically Team B would get it at like the 45 or 50 yard line)then the penalty would be assessed on the kickoff or PAT

would: eventually you would get knocked back so far it would be a safety?

Technically half the distance would never reach the goal line.

Rule should be changed such that an offsides on a Kick should be accessed just like an out of bounds kicked ball on the 35.

The refs should have realized what was going on and marked it off for Penn State and set it ready for play.

Man, Joe Pa was PISSED. And that is with an intentionally large "P"

I suppose I would be too, and if I were on the Wisonsin sideline, i would've been laughing my :moon: off all the way to the locker room.

Works for me. Then PennST should have declined the first penalty.

I don't think JoPa got it on the first KO so he thought he would back them up 5 yards and make them kick it again. Then he realized he had been snookered by a young upstart coach and got ticked off about it.

Works for me. Then PennST should have declined the first penalty.

I don't think JoPa got it on the first KO so he thought he would back them up 5 yards and make them kick it again. Then he realized he had been snookered by a young upstart coach and got ticked off about it.

that young whippersnapper!!!!! i love joe pa's angry old man for the camera, there is one for the highlight reel.

Archived