For the students here...

PChamp119

I'm a senior and I have definently noticed a difference in the student section. Since the '04 season the attitudes of the students have gradually declined. I agree with Fmnstr on the footballs being thrown out of the stadium. I laughed at the florida game thinking it was a one time deal, but now it's aggravating because I'm pretty sure it's only going to result in us getting allstate nets.

I know I'll probably upset some readers on here, but the frat reserved seats have bothered me since my first game here. They are the last students into the stadium and the first to leave and the get the best student seats in the stadium.

Know for a fact that I was in the student section until the final whistle of the game on saturday.

i hate that they get those seats and don't appreciate them. I'm also getting sick of frats reserving seats in the general student seating. Just cause you're an upper classman in (insert any frat) doesn't mean you're better than everyone else and can wait til thirty minutes before kickoff to show up. saving three or four seats is fine but saving entire rows is bullsh*t

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't boo...but can I play devil's advocate? If the fans don't boo at half time against UGA is it possible that the team thinks that that kind of performance is acceptable? I'm sorry but why shouldn't we tell our players that we aren't pleased with 30-7.

There was no fire...no one seemed to care. Sure they can come out and wave their arms around and "pump the crowd up" but during the play they just seem to not care...It was a very odd time Saturday and I hope that my trip to Tuscaloosa doesn't disappoint.

I don't boo and the ball thing was funny for UF...but yeah lets just stop it.

about the balls being thrown out of the stadium: i am one of the few students in who thinks it is a pathetic, classless action. the administration NEEDS to warn the students about a net being put up. it aggrivates me so much...and it's not funny at all.

about the booing: rather than booing, just be silent.

the only thing i boo is the student section throwing the ball out...and the act of frats reserving seats, just because they are too dumb to earn seats in their section. i also think the frat section is crap. it's just stupid.

If they are spoiled, send them to talk to me. My first year in the student section was 98, that will humble anyone.

Mine was 1992, once again a humbling experience. :(

Guest Tigrinum Major

I don't boo...but can I play devil's advocate? If the fans don't boo at half time against UGA is it possible that the team thinks that that kind of performance is acceptable?

I would hope that our football players are intelligent enough to know that their performance wasn't acceptable.

Just sayin'...

Reading this thread is kind of funny. What I see is that the students are as normal as ever and are just a micocosm of all us alumni........different opinions, views, etc. What's funny is that both sides look at the other as in a mirror and don't like what they see sometimes.

This is stupid, alumni leave early, boo, act like idiots too. At least we're loud. I don't know if we are "spoiled" or not but I don't think anyone would complain if we just lived up to expectations. I can take a close loss to UF or LSU (even the Arky game doesn't seem as bad now the way they are playing) but what happened against UGA just doesn't make sense.

The Sucks chant is a thing every SS in the nation does. We act sometimes rather rude to the other team because LSU and Duke's(Basketball) fans have changed the landscape of the way students act and have shown that we can be a influence on the game just by getting in the heads of the opposing team's players. As for us being "spoiled" ehhh It's not being spoiled it's being upset when we lose because we normally have direct connections with bammers and corndogs and all in all the rivalries live and die in us students not the alums or anyone else so we take it more seriously because we're the ones who fight the verbal battles for Auburn football.

The student section is a very smart crowd...

The same student section that screams wildly when we are on offense? The same student section that called for Cox when we had Jason Campbell who was better than any quarterback Auburn has seen in many years even on his worst day? I am a student, but lets be realistic... The non-student section knows a lot more about football and Auburn football in general than the students.

Ain't that the truth. Most of the people in the student section aren't there for the game. Students should have to pay regular price for tickets and get in line for them like everybody else. The student section should definitely be reduced in size.

Is it a bad thing that the fan base is spoiled by a hard working team that may not have been the most talented, may have been undersized and just came in and worked hard and showed that there can be a dominant SEC team still?

I'm not saying this year's team doesn't work hard but can we really argue that the leadership and chemistry of 2004 is there? What is the reason behind this rollercoaster play (Up LSU, Down Arky, Up UF, Down UGA)? Is it talent? Is it leadership? Is it that we're just getting bad breaks?

I don't think its too far fetched for a fan base to expect a team to play its heart out. I felt the energy Brad Lester was putting out. His double fist slam as he scored the touchdown made me feel like he was pumped but some of our defensive players watching Stafford as he walked into the end zone is confusing and frustrating.

We should be spoiled by hard work..we should expect it and be annoyed when it doesn't look like some players are working hard (even though I'm sure they do)

Most of the people in the student section aren't there for the game. Students should have to pay regular price for tickets and get in line for them like everybody else. The student section should definitely be reduced in size.

Gotta disagree with you there. This is a college sport, and college students should have ample opportunity to attend the games. You've only got a few years to be a student and the rest of your life to be an alumnus. And why should they pay full price? They don't have the big bucks yet that come with an Auburn degree. B)

As far as war stories, my first year--2001. Singing the alma mater at the end while being drowned out by "HEY AUBURN! WE JUST BEAT THE HELL OUTTA YOU!" was rough.

The student section is a very smart crowd...

The same student section that screams wildly when we are on offense? The same student section that called for Cox when we had Jason Campbell who was better than any quarterback Auburn has seen in many years even on his worst day? I am a student, but lets be realistic... The non-student section knows a lot more about football and Auburn football in general than the students.

Ain't that the truth. Most of the people in the student section aren't there for the game. Students should have to pay regular price for tickets and get in line for them like everybody else. The student section should definitely be reduced in size.

I am sure you thought the exact same thing when you were a student here that we should have to pay higher prices, student section reduced, wait in line, etc.

If most people in the student section aren't there for the game, then what are they there for?

If most people in the student section aren't there for the game, then what are they there for?

To see and be seen. The vast majority of them have no clue at all what's going on out on the field. They're just making idiot noise for the sake of making idiot noise. Reminds me of the six-year old girls softball team I coached. They would scream and yell the entire game and then ask me after if they won or not.

For most of the students it's a social event, not a ball game. They're there out of their own dedication to themselves.

To see and be seen. The vast majority of them have no clue at all what's going on out on the field. They're just making idiot noise for the sake of making idiot noise. Reminds me of the six-year old girls softball team I coached. They would scream and yell the entire game and then ask me after if they won or not.

For most of the students it's a social event, not a ball game. They're there out of their own dedication to themselves.

That's ridiculous. I highly doubt that "most" students are there to see and to be seen. In my 4 years here I have met many many knowledgable fans in the frat section and other sections. Can you honestly tell me you know for a fact vast majority of the students here are there out of their own dedication to themselves, that they have no clue about what's going on on the field?

That's ridiculous. I highly doubt that "most" students are there to see and to be seen. In my 4 years here I have met many many knowledgable fans in the frat section and other sections. Can you honestly tell me you know for a fact vast majority of the students here are there out of their own dedication to themselves, that they have no clue about what's going on on the field?

You asked my opinion, you got it.

Your "high doubts" aren't going to change it.

1) It is IRON BOWL WEEK

2) This thread is full of generalizations

3) It is going nowhere really fast

The student section changes over time. The team changes over time. The gameday experience changes over time. The regular seat ticket holders change over time.

What I don't get is why it is so important to lecture the student section. And why there is now a thread lecturing the alumni section? It is almost like there are those among us who are conceding defeat to bammer already, so we are just going to fight amongst ourselves all week. Come on people!

BEAT BAMA!

1) It is IRON BOWL WEEK

The student section changes over time. The team changes over time. The gameday experience changes over time. The regular seat ticket holders change over time.

What I don't get is why it is so important to lecture the student section. And why there is now a thread lecturing the alumni section? It is almost like there are those among us who are conceding defeat to bammer already, so we are just going to fight amongst ourselves all week. Come on people!

BEAT BAMA!

This thread should have been locked a long time ago based on how it originated.

1) It is IRON BOWL WEEK

BEAT BAMA!

Well said. Before today I thought student section and alumni section are all Auburn fans and come to see the team play, but apparently I was wrong.

You asked my opinion, you got it.

Your "high doubts" aren't going to change it.

how long has it been since you were in the student section at auburn? Don't make sweeping generalizations about the students unless you've been sitting in the student section all year. Also, just because some of them are uninformed fans doesn't make them bad fans, they still yell louder than the alumni does.

all in all if the alums are more of Auburn fans than us students that means Auburn Football is going to die out along with the alums..... Forgive me but I'll take my rowdy student section over a silent country club anyday. BTW this is about to become a "Who has been alive longer" argument here soon

just because some of them are uninformed fans doesn't make them bad fans, they still yell louder than the alumni does.

Noise for the sake of noise if they don't know what's going on.

To me, students in general are like PCChamp. Completely clueless as to how things work in the real world, but full of self-righteous indignation about how they, with their limited life experience, percieve things to be. As a general rule students are more liberal because they don't know any better. It's one thing to rail about the unfairness of the system and giving tax breaks to the rich when you're not paying taxes. It's another to watch your paycheck get eaten up, taking things away from your family when you see so many who live off the system as a lifestyle, not out of necessity. It's one thing to be against war on general principle and another altogether when you've matured enough to understand that sometimes your options are limited. It's no different than kids who swear they will NEVER spank or punish their children and then they grow up and realize that sometimes it has to be done.

This whole "student section" argument is the same thing. When I was a student, of course I wanted to get in free and felt I had some moral superiority to the old goats who came to games and brought their families. I was stupid then.

just because some of them are uninformed fans doesn't make them bad fans, they still yell louder than the alumni does.

Noise for the sake of noise if they don't know what's going on.

To me, students in general are like PCChamp. Completely clueless as to how things work in the real world, but full of self-righteous indignation about how they, with their limited life experience, percieve things to be. As a general rule students are more liberal because they don't know any better. It's one thing to rail about the unfairness of the system and giving tax breaks to the rich when you're not paying taxes. It's another to watch your paycheck get eaten up, taking things away from your family when you see so many who live off the system as a lifestyle, not out of necessity. It's one thing to be against war on general principle and another altogether when you've matured enough to understand that sometimes your options are limited. It's no different than kids who swear they will NEVER spank or punish their children and then they grow up and realize that sometimes it has to be done.

This whole "student section" argument is the same thing. When I was a student, of course I wanted to get in free and felt I had some moral superiority to the old goats who came to games and brought their families. I was stupid then.

But did you not get cheap tickets when you were a student? If the SS is cut and there is less of us at the games that recent respect of being one of the most hostile places to play in the nation will be gone because no offense you alums and older ppl can't uphold that title.

But did you not get cheap tickets when you were a student? If the SS is cut and there is less of us at the games that recent respect of being one of the most hostile places to play in the nation will be gone because no offense you alums and older ppl can't uphold that title.

At no time during my association with Auburn has it been one of the most hostile places to play in the nation. Is it good sometime even great? Heck yes but by no means it one of the roughest places to play week in and week out in my opinion. Part of it has to do with the fans and part of it has to do with stadium design. IMO.

All that being said I have always felt that there should NEVER be a student that cannot get a ticket to the game. I think that is where you build your fanbase from and it costs WAY too much money to pay tuition for students to not have access to reasonable tickets.

Archived