For the students here...

PChamp119

Wow. Didn't realize there was such a divide between students and alums and fans. We are all cheering for the same team. A lot of the fans used to be students and hopefully most of the students will one day be alums..

Anyway, here's my two cents:

Auburn people should NEVER boo Auburn players.

Don't throw the ball out. It is classless and dumb and we will all be sorry when we have those stupid nets.

Auburn people who are able should stand.

Auburn people who are able should yell loudly when we are on defense and after a big play on offense, then be quiet so our team can hear the next play.

Auburn students should always be able to go to the game for cheap. The football team is part of the University and the University is there to serve the students.

Auburn people should always be respectfully quiet when a player for either team is hurt and should clap and cheer when that player recovers or is helped off the field.

Auburn people should stay for the entire game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Didn't realize there was such a divide between students and alums and fans. We are all cheering for the same team. A lot of the fans used to be students and hopefully most of the students will one day be alums..

It's like whenever you're in a family and a parent get's sick all of the kids believe they know what the best means of taking care of them is but none of them can get along because they all have different ways to go about it, same applies here we all have different ways to cheer and when we cheer. BTW im notin anyway supporting booing our players or anyone elses. The football thing was funny to startoff but I agree it got stupid.

The student section is a very smart crowd...

The same student section that screams wildly when we are on offense? The same student section that called for Cox when we had Jason Campbell who was better than any quarterback Auburn has seen in many years even on his worst day? I am a student, but lets be realistic... The non-student section knows a lot more about football and Auburn football in general than the students.

Ain't that the truth. Most of the people in the student section aren't there for the game. Students should have to pay regular price for tickets and get in line for them like everybody else. The student section should definitely be reduced in size.

I am sure you thought the exact same thing when you were a student here that we should have to pay higher prices, student section reduced, wait in line, etc.

If most people in the student section aren't there for the game, then what are they there for?

They are there for a social occasion. At least the two years I spent in hell (I mean the student section) that was the main emphasis anyway. Talk about dates, keg parties, etc. Rarely talk about football.

Money is no problem. This is not the same type of students that were there years ago. Mommy and Daddy have lots of cash. Have you not seen all of the high dollar condos being built around town? The low rent mobile home parks are bulldozed and a thing of the past.

The same student section that screams wildly when we are on offense? The same student section that called for Cox when we had Jason Campbell who was better than any quarterback Auburn has seen in many years even on his worst day? I am a student, but lets be realistic... The non-student section knows a lot more about football and Auburn football in general than the students.

Ain't that the truth. Most of the people in the student section aren't there for the game. Students should have to pay regular price for tickets and get in line for them like everybody else. The student section should definitely be reduced in size.

I am sure you thought the exact same thing when you were a student here that we should have to pay higher prices, student section reduced, wait in line, etc.

If most people in the student section aren't there for the game, then what are they there for?

They are there for a social occasion. At least the two years I spent in hell (I mean the student section) that was the main emphasis anyway. Talk about dates, keg parties, etc. Rarely talk about football.

Money is no problem. This is not the same type of students that were there years ago. Mommy and Daddy have lots of cash. Have you not seen all of the high dollar condos being built around town? The low rent mobile home parks are bulldozed and a thing of the past.

I'm a student who goes to the football games to watch the game, and mommy and daddy don't even pay all of my tuition.

Just thought I'd let you know we're still out there!

the student section is "hell" to you? wow. bring friends, pay attention and try and sit where the drunkest of the drunk and the sorority girls don't gather in huge numbers, and that place is one of the absolute last i'd call "hell." it's seen better years than this one in the past few, but i still love being there with my friends to go nuts together over my football team.

i don't know who you dealt with when you went here, but the average student is still just that, an average joe. there has been a wholesale shift toward homogenization in the student population even over the 4 years that i've been here, but the greeks and the greek-wannabes still do not represent the majority of the student body. don't insult the rest of us by claiming everyone here is a rich little snob that doesn't come to the game because they love the team.

also, galen made a comment about students being generally more liberal than older adults on average, and at other universities, i would absolutely agree. at this one? nope. this student body is overwhelmingly neo-conservative, but has no idea why. i am definitely a huge minority as a liberal, art-minded student. this has still not ruined my college experience, just given me cause to do a lot of head shaking to the keg tappers that i cram myself into the stadium with. regardless, i am an auburn man, and will not hold ideological differences against my peers. we all picked the best place in the south to get our higher educations, and we all unite on gameday, give or take a few knuckleheads that don't even know where they are.

i just want to let everyone know how important these games are to the students. sure we get in cheap, but we're paying gobs of money to go there for an education. the football games are a huge morale boost as far as i'm concerned. this goes for all au sporting events. don't even begin to stereotype us as rich snobs when you don't even know the half of it. people can go to the game and talk about whatever they want. sure some people say stupid stuff and do stupid things...we're only 18-22. some of us haven't matured like we should have. yes, throwing the ball out of the stadium, and yes, booing and yelling sucks is stupid, but thats just life. and give me a break when you say you want to make the ss smaller...this would be simply pathetic.

i just want to let everyone know how important these games are to the students. sure we get in cheap, but we're paying gobs of money to go there for an education. the football games are a huge morale boost as far as i'm concerned. this goes for all au sporting events. don't even begin to stereotype us as rich snobs when you don't even know the half of it. people can go to the game and talk about whatever they want. sure some people say stupid stuff and do stupid things...we're only 18-22. some of us haven't matured like we should have. yes, throwing the ball out of the stadium, and yes, booing and yelling sucks is stupid, but thats just life. and give me a break when you say you want to make the ss smaller...this would be simply pathetic.

I say make the student section bigger when the stadium is expanded and raise the price of tickets for students to $150ish. But move the time for the gates to open back to 2 hours before the game! That was a terrible move opening the gates earlier than they used to.

And Auburn students do have money. I was one and am one again. I am not stereotyping. Look in the parking lots. And before anyone says it, duh, there are exceptions to the rule. I am paying my own tuition right now but scholarships and my dad paid for my first degree so I have been on both sides. And if anyone can't afford it, and works hard, their tuition will be covered by financial aid, scholarships, loans, etc. To quote Dangerous Minds: There are no victims in this classroom (Auburn)!"

You must be out of your mind...All my friends and I do is talk about the game

And if you think money is no problem...well then you can pay my tuition next semester because my "Mommy and Daddy" sure aren't paying it. And guess what else, I hate the high dollor condos being built around town, but they aren't for students, they are gameday condos for the Alumni with lots of cash. The developers may say that they are not intended to be but the fact is that I don't know a single person that could afford a $400-700K condo in college. And I do live in a "low rent mobile home" but I'll tell you what, it isn't all that low to me, since I don't have a rich Mommy and Daddy.

So to imply that the majority of us are spoiled brats is asinine.

If you want to boo thats fine. But when you do Boo just what do you think is going through the minds of the 18-22 year olds out on the field fighting for YOU? Will that really pump someone up? I know if I was on the field and I heard my fans that are supposed to be behind me 100% booing it would bring me down even further than I already was. They know they are doing bad, you do not have to remind them of that. You have to remember these are still kids playing they do not get payed. They are playing for YOU and for an education. Boo the pros just do not boo the college players.

I watched the game on tv. I thought they were booing Brandon Cox! I surely hope not, but that is the impression I got.

Man o Man, after reading this thread...the student sections between AU/UGA are vastly different

I just graduated in 2005 from UGA but in my time there...the students were far and away NOT there for a social occasion but for the game.

Granted, I spent some time with my frat above the student section but even there...it seemed to me to be the game first...social second.

This probably only applies to those who have been here as students for at least 3 years.

Is it me or has the student body gotten spoiled and taken a turn for the bad side? A couple years ago, students would never have screamed "Sucked!" to every player from the opposing team when rosters were mentioned. A couple years ago, students never would have thrown a ball from a PAT or FG over the endzone. Before today, students would never complain about being 9-1 (now 9-2) because of "just getting by teams." I feel the students have been spoiled from the recent success of the program (which is a good thing), especially the 04 season. We don't want to turn into Bama fans. I will admit that I was suprised by the crowd (especially student section) up until the fourth quarter. Even down 24, the crowd was still pretty good.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a change in the student body over the last couple of years

I'm a senior right now..and I was actually talking to my aunt who graduated from Auburn in the 90s about this on Saturday night. I lived in Auburn when I was younger, and I can't believe how spoiled we've gotten. We've gotten used to winning, and when we lose, we're sore losers. I hate it...this isn't the Auburn fanbase that I grew up around.

As for the crowd, I was pleased to see so many people stick around even though it was raining. I never leave a game early. Even if we're down by 20, I stay until the band plays the Alma Mater. Singing the Alma Mater always seems to make everything better again! :)

Man o Man, after reading this thread...the student sections between AU/UGA are vastly different

I just graduated in 2005 from UGA but in my time there...the students were far and away NOT there for a social occasion but for the game.

Granted, I spent some time with my frat above the student section but even there...it seemed to me to be the game first...social second.

don't get it twisted. the old farts are naysaying about things with which they have no firsthand experience. today's students are just as interested in the game as always, and the chit-chatters are few and far between. every student section has its girlfriends and tagalongs.

by the by, this whole argument/bitchfest is retarded. can we give this up and pay attention to the task at hand? :ua: looms on the horizon, and it's time to spank that already worn-out pink ass.

Being in the student section, I do know plenty of people that use it just as a social event. If you just look around why in the world would a girl dress up in Sunday dress for a game? Thats just my opinion.

But I do know that decreasing the size of the student section would be a very bad thing to do. I believe it should be increased so that ALL students should be able to get tickets. I really don't think it is fair for students that give their time to this university to not be able to attend the biggest events on campus throughout the year.

Galen I normally agree with most things you say, but are you freaking kidding me? We are the STUDENTS. Take us away, and Auburn doesn't exist. Period. So you're saying the people that pay out the ass for tuition and to be in Auburn every day and keep it going shouldn't be able to get into their own stadium to watch the school that they attend (not a has been alum) play football?? (The players are also our fellow STUDENTS i might add). Think about what you're saying. The campus belongs to the students. We are the lifeblood of this university. We're in class all year long, not just the 7-8 times a year that the alums come down here. We work hard to become and to stay Auburn students. But I'm sure we should have less of an opportunity to go to the games. That just makes sense.

All of you that are saying that the games are social events are full of it. Sure I had a date to the game and I dressed up, that's just what you do. And I partied on Friday night and planned at the game what was going on Saturday night, but none of those things like that that were mentioned earlier are going to distract me from the important thing: The game. I was in line at 7:30 am to get a good seat at that game while most of you "more dedicated alums" were still asleep or enjoying your tailgate, and there were thousands with me. I was there until the alma mater was sung, and I'll stay in Jordan-Hare West until it's sung this Saturday win or lose. Why? Because Auburn football is that important to me, and it is to all the rest of us.

You have no idea what you all are talking about when you say all this BS about the students and the student section. How do you know we don't talk about the game? You don't even sit there!

This is ridiculous. We are all Auburn fans here. We students are just as dedicated as those of you that were in our shoes 20 years ago. Sure there are idiots eveywhere, but as a whole we all love Auburn very much.

Archived