For the students here...

PChamp119

This probably only applies to those who have been here as students for at least 3 years.

Is it me or has the student body gotten spoiled and taken a turn for the bad side? A couple years ago, students would never have screamed "Sucked!" to every player from the opposing team when rosters were mentioned. A couple years ago, students never would have thrown a ball from a PAT or FG over the endzone. Before today, students would never complain about being 9-1 (now 9-2) because of "just getting by teams." I feel the students have been spoiled from the recent success of the program (which is a good thing), especially the 04 season. We don't want to turn into Bama fans. I will admit that I was suprised by the crowd (especially student section) up until the fourth quarter. Even down 24, the crowd was still pretty good.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a change in the student body over the last couple of years

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This probably only applies to those who have been here as students for at least 3 years.

Is it me or has the student body gotten spoiled and taken a turn for the bad side? A couple years ago, students would never have screamed "Sucked!" to every player from the opposing team when rosters were mentioned. A couple years ago, students never would have thrown a ball from a PAT or FG over the endzone. Before today, students would never complain about being 9-1 (now 9-2) because of "just getting by teams." I feel the students have been spoiled from the recent success of the program (which is a good thing), especially the 04 season. We don't want to turn into Bama fans. I will admit that I was suprised by the crowd (especially student section) up until the fourth quarter. Even down 24, the crowd was still pretty good.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a change in the student body over the last couple of years

I completely agree with PChamp119..

Actually, I was disgusted with some of my fellow Auburn fans. I was sitting in the top of section 23 and was absolutely disgusted by a large majority of the students BOOING OUR TEAM OFF OF THE FIELD AT HALFTIME! Not to mention the fact that I had beer cans thrown at me by fellow Auburn fans after providing a lost Georgia fan with directions after the game.

There was a complete lack of class present today from the Auburn fans, I almost thought we were LSU.

Yeah, but it comes with the territory. The "sucks" thing was stupid and some people around me were doing it,(but it is cool at basketbal games). I said after the FL game that it was funny how they threw the ball over, but if we do it in any other game that's just stupid".

i disagree completely...i am a student, a junior, and i know that within my group of friends we support everything that the student section does...the extra point thing IS HILARIOUS...its us getting some humor/enjoyment out of an opponent's triumph...which i think is a good thing...i hope that it continues for years to come (especially in the big games)

the "sucks" cheer is just getting the crowd into it. it has only happened this year for the big games (it started at LSU and was used at Florida and Georgia)...i know that i don't mean it maliciously, i can't talk for anyone else though...

if you mean that we have been spoiled by success, no more than everyone else. The '93 season is the first AU season that I remember and we all know that since then there has been quite a bit of disappointment. The student section is a very smart crowd...we all know that the talent for us to beat all opponents (and DESTROY most) is there, yet we do not capitalize...its FRUSTRATING. and unlike mature old farts...we are going to be a little obnoxious and scrappy and cheer wildly; boo when we feel like booing, jump when we feel like jumping, and,, unfortunately, leave when we feel like leaving...but we are going to go all out with it...if we seem frustrated as a crowd, its because WE ARE just like everyone who posted on the board upset...but unlike 40+ year olds we believe that these guys are just students who are playing a game...they are individuals that are just like us, and we live vicariously through them...i feel like if i had God given talent like many of our football players do and i had the opportunity to go out on that field and be supported by 87,451 people who would be excited to just walk beside me (like i was with Ben Tate the other day on the concourse) i would go out there and PLAY HARD, everydown...like they were living and dying on our performance...because we ARE....

if we lost because we weren't as good as the other teams, that would be one thing...but we are just as good if not better. we are squeaking by, bending to the point of breaking, and getting cockier and cockier as the year goes on...if anything, I think that the 2004 season spoiled our FOOTBALL PROGRAM! we now believe that we are among the elite in the nation, and though we are strong, we are not elite. USC = elite, Ohio St = elite, Auburn = one of the top 10-15 teams in the nation...and we seem to settle for it...not strive for that top spot...the student section KNOWS this...and refer to previous paragraph to know how we are going to act about it...

that being said, i am going to get to the game 3 hours early next year, and i am going to talk about auburn football until i am blue in the face, and love being an auburn tiger...but on games like today, we are not going to just cheer for AU because we are their fans, they have to EARN our support, and thus far they haven't done much (minus the 2nd half of the Florida game)....

throw it over, and say "sucks" after every opponents starter...Student section law? STUDENT SECTION LAW!!

The student section is a very smart crowd...

The same student section that screams wildly when we are on offense? The same student section that called for Cox when we had Jason Campbell who was better than any quarterback Auburn has seen in many years even on his worst day? I am a student, but lets be realistic... The non-student section knows a lot more about football and Auburn football in general than the students.

There has been a lot of talk about our players being 18-22 year old kids. I want EVERY SINGLE ALUM OR FAN TO REMEMBER THAT THE STUDENTS ARE 18-22 YEAR OLD KIDS. You claim that it is ok for our players to make mistakes but yet you demand perfection from people the same age. I am a senior and while I don't like the throwing the ball out or booing our team, I don't think it is fair for the older posters to judge what we do as college students. Think back on your own lives and remember mistakes you made during this time period. We are all part of the Auburn family and in a family things occur that some people don't like. Let's get over it and all show up on Saturdays in the fall and cheer on our tigers however we seem fit.

i graduated last year. so i feel like i have some attachment to this conversation despite not being there right now.

first, the student section is mostly full of dumbasses. simple fact. most of them don't know crap about football. they boo jason campbell. they want us go for it 50% of the time on 4th down. they get pissed when we sit on the ball before halftime. they don't. know. anything. about. the game.

aubie 27, i'm okay with a lot of the stuff you said. i didn't do that stuff (mainly b/c contrary to what you may believe mimicking a kentucky or unc or name-your-crappy-team football tradition of throwing the ball over the back of the stadium is in fact not funny at all. not b/c it's "classless" or "childish" but simply b/c it's just not funny), but there are two things you say that tell me you either A ) have very little respect for the work our players, coaches, admin, etc. put in or B ) are one of the students i talked about that know nothing about the game.

you don't boo our players. ever. i sat on the second row and watched ala-f'n-bama march up and down the field on us to the tune of 31-7 a few years back. i watched msu shut us out in 97. i saw appie state come close to beating us in 99. and that's just in a choice five year span... i've seen us come out and basically jam our thumbs up our collective butts in so many ways over the years that i can't even count them. but i have never and will never boo ANYONE that puts on an auburn jersey. if you do it, you either don't deserve to watch the game or you're an idiot. take your pick.

ALSO, you don't leave the games just b/c you're losing. forget throwing the ball over the stadium, THAT is childish. it's a 20 year old way of saying, "they won't let us wiiiiiiiiin! i'm leaving!" those guys have to sit out there and be embarrassed in front of 90,000 people; you should show them how much you really support them for staying there to cheer them win, lose, or draw as they leave the field. that's what it means to really support something. until you do that, you're nothing but a fairweather fan.

auburn fans are spoiled. we are. as much as we complain about the team not being able to play early games, or handle success, or whatever... i see all the same flaws in our fanbase. a couple of teams lose and all we talk about is the bsc. we win a few games and we forget what a rival game is all about (i was there in 1994... i remember what this game is to the underdog). we drag ass in 30 minutes before 11:30 kickoffs and wonder why the place feels dead. we're a mirror image of the flaws of our team.

i want to see auburn be the best. i love this school. this team. this program. it's given me more moments of pure elation than anything else in my life. i'll never leave a game early. i'll never boo our players. and i know plenty of students and fans like me. but i know a lot more like the above. they don't know what these guys give up. they don't respect what this program does in the lives of these young men (some of my peers and friends when i was at school). i hope auburn wins the sec title every year, but even if we don't, it doesn't change the amount of affection i have for the auburn tigers.

oh and that rant just came to you from a guy that was watching games in the student section last year and is only 24... age isn't an excuse.

i graduated last year. so i feel like i have some attachment to this conversation despite not being there right now.

first, the student section is mostly full of dumbasses. simple fact. most of them don't know crap about football. they boo jason campbell. they want us go for it 50% of the time on 4th down. they get pissed when we sit on the ball before halftime. they don't. know. anything. about. the game.

aubie 27, i'm okay with a lot of the stuff you said. i didn't do that stuff (mainly b/c contrary to what you may believe mimicking a kentucky or unc or name-your-crappy-team football tradition of throwing the ball over the back of the stadium is in fact not funny at all. not b/c it's "classless" or "childish" but simply b/c it's just not funny), but there are two things you say that tell me you either A ) have very little respect for the work our players, coaches, admin, etc. put in or B ) are one of the students i talked about that know nothing about the game.

you don't boo our players. ever. i sat on the second row and watched ala-f'n-bama march up and down the field on us to the tune of 31-7 a few years back. i watched msu shut us out in 97. i saw appie state come close to beating us in 99. and that's just in a choice five year span... i've seen us come out and basically jam our thumbs up our collective butts in so many ways over the years that i can't even count them. but i have never and will never boo ANYONE that puts on an auburn jersey. if you do it, you either don't deserve to watch the game or you're an idiot. take your pick.

ALSO, you don't leave the games just b/c you're losing. forget throwing the ball over the stadium, THAT is childish. it's a 20 year old way of saying, "they won't let us wiiiiiiiiin! i'm leaving!" those guys have to sit out there and be embarrassed in front of 90,000 people; you should show them how much you really support them for staying there to cheer them win, lose, or draw as they leave the field. that's what it means to really support something. until you do that, you're nothing but a fairweather fan.

auburn fans are spoiled. we are. as much as we complain about the team not being able to play early games, or handle success, or whatever... i see all the same flaws in our fanbase. a couple of teams lose and all we talk about is the bsc. we win a few games and we forget what a rival game is all about (i was there in 1994... i remember what this game is to the underdog). we drag ass in 30 minutes before 11:30 kickoffs and wonder why the place feels dead. we're a mirror image of the flaws of our team.

i want to see auburn be the best. i love this school. this team. this program. it's given me more moments of pure elation than anything else in my life. i'll never leave a game early. i'll never boo our players. and i know plenty of students and fans like me. but i know a lot more like the above. they don't know what these guys give up. they don't respect what this program does in the lives of these young men (some of my peers and friends when i was at school). i hope auburn wins the sec title every year, but even if we don't, it doesn't change the amount of affection i have for the auburn tigers.

Well put. Couldn't have said it better!

What has happened, I think, is the BCS has created ridiculously high expectations from fans of upper echelon teams. It no longer excites me as much to watch Auburn beat the same teams every year. I want to see us win the crystal. That is the only accomplishment Auburn has never attained. Who knows how long it will be before that becomes reality, but it gets old to have to hear about the same few teams every year and Auburn not being among them. We have been SEC champs, we have beaten Georgia 50 something times, we have beaten Bama 30 something times, we have beaten Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Arkansas. We have not won the crystal. Auburn's program has gotten much better since Tubberville took over and the fans are accustomed to winning. The 2004 season spoiled us and don't blame Auburn fans, one of those seasons would spoil anyone. We as fans want our guys to be the best and when that doesn't happen emotions get out of control.

True Auburn fan:

Sits and watches 42-0 loss to Tennessee-does not leave until game is over-NEVER BOOS TEAM!

Sits in pouring rain and freezing temperatures while 8 & 1/2 months pregnant and watches team get annhilated by Penn State-does not leave until game is over-NEVER BOOS TEAM!

True Auburn fan:

Sits and watches 42-0 loss to Tennessee-does not leave until game is over-NEVER BOOS TEAM!

Sits in pouring rain and freezing temperatures while 8 & 1/2 months pregnant and watches team get annhilated by Penn State-does not leave until game is over-NEVER BOOS TEAM!

Attends six AU/UA games and watches team lose five of them in a row-stays in seat at one AU/UA game when there are tornado warnings for the area-stays until each and every game is over-DEFINITELY NEVER EVER BOOS TEAM!!!!!

I have sat and watched Auburn get blown out many times before too. Alabama crushed us 31-7 when I was a junior at AU. I never left and never booed. I have been to Death Valley and watched Auburn get creamed 31-7 and never left. We are all huge fans on here. If you are looney enough to search out a webpage that deals with anything Auburn, then you are a die-hard. Just because people want to see Auburn perform better doesn't make them any less of a fan. Auburn should ever get manhandled on their home turf and we have gotten creamed TWICE this year on our turf. So much for a home field advantage.

I am trying to figure out how I can say what I want to say and still be nice about it, or not have my comments mis-interpreted.

When the rain started pouring and the mass rush for the exits in the student section yesterday started, I was disappointed. I looked over at the UGA section. I did not see a mass exodus there. I saw them going crazy. I wished we had that same intensity in our student section.

That being said, I know that whenever the team loses, the band directors get an increased number of nasty emails from fans blaming the team's loss or poor performance on the band. The loss yesterday was not because of the student section, or the band, or you or me or anyone except the 11 men on the field.

CTT said it was his fault, and he took all the blame.

Let's move on now and BEAT BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a student i have to agree (as me and my buddies around me discussed during the game) that the whole throwing the ball out of the stadium makes us look pretty classless. Sure during UF the first time it was done did get a decent laugh from me but as someone mentioned earlier I said that if those antics carried over into another game it wouldnt boast well for the student section's appearence as a whole. That being said there is certainly worse things that could be going on so Ill just overlook that stuff but would like to see it stop if thats not too much to ask. Now as for the student section "booing' the team at the half im pretty sure that wasnt what happened. I personally didnt do anything but clap and wave a shaker like hell but I felt like the boos were in response to the score and in no way shape or form directed toward the players or coaches. As a matter of fact I know that the boos were in response only to the score...That section may be home to a few drunks and even a few more kids who dont know much about how the game is played but we would never boo our boys in blue no matter what was taking place on the field!! I can certainly see where it could have been interpretted differently but thats just not the case. So lets not start taking our season tickets away just yet!! B)

as an addendum to the "throwing the ball out of the stands" phenomenon:

this has to stop. it was funny at florida because i'd never seen it happen before, but now it's just getting ridiculous. also, my tiger rep roommate has let me know that the administration has said that from now on, if the students throw out a certain number of balls (depending on how many the opposing team brings - georgia brought 4) we will forfeit the game. this is not acceptable behavior, and will probably not be possible after this season, because a net is likely going up.

hope you kids that sat right behind the uprights enjoyed your view.

I am trying to figure out how I can say what I want to say and still be nice about it, or not have my comments mis-interpreted.

When the rain started pouring and the mass rush for the exits in the student section yesterday started, I was disappointed. I looked over at the UGA section. I did not see a mass exodus there. I saw them going crazy. I wished we had that same intensity in our student section.

That being said, I know that whenever the team loses, the band directors get an increased number of nasty emails from fans blaming the team's loss or poor performance on the band. The loss yesterday was not because of the student section, or the band, or you or me or anyone except the 11 men on the field.

CTT said it was his fault, and he took all the blame.

Let's move on now and BEAT BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the georgia fans had driven for hours and were enjoying a thumping. why would they leave?

Throwing the ball out of the stadium is stupid.

As far as booing, I think it's fine. I don't know why some of you here think that booing automatically means we don't love Auburn.

i just wish they'd put a security guard toward the top of the section... let it go on. wait it out, and throw out the person that tosses the ball over the edge or tries to keep it. it'll take one, two, maybe three time. eventually, folks aren't going to want to lose their seat for the rest of the game and will stop. if they don't, start taking them away for the rest of the year. that'd do it.

If you want to boo thats fine. But when you do Boo just what do you think is going through the minds of the 18-22 year olds out on the field fighting for YOU? Will that really pump someone up? I know if I was on the field and I heard my fans that are supposed to be behind me 100% booing it would bring me down even further than I already was. They know they are doing bad, you do not have to remind them of that. You have to remember these are still kids playing they do not get payed. They are playing for YOU and for an education. Boo the pros just do not boo the college players.

i just wish they'd put a security guard toward the top of the section... let it go on. wait it out, and throw out the person that tosses the ball over the edge or tries to keep it. it'll take one, two, maybe three time. eventually, folks aren't going to want to lose their seat for the rest of the game and will stop. if they don't, start taking them away for the rest of the year. that'd do it.

They have police officers up there, but I think they're only there to look out for drunks. But yeah, they need to start enforcing it because A) it's lame, and B) the ball didn't do nothing wrong.

"If you want to boo thats fine. But when you do Boo just what do you think is going through the minds of the 18-22 year olds out on the field fighting for YOU?"

I agree 100%. Wish it wouldn't have happened but still...it wasnt directed towards the players. I just think that sometimes the kids in the stands just wanna show a little displeasure with the way the game is going and may not realize the implications of those kind of actions. Water under the bridge now though, right?...

I'm a senior and I have definently noticed a difference in the student section. Since the '04 season the attitudes of the students have gradually declined. I agree with Fmnstr on the footballs being thrown out of the stadium. I laughed at the florida game thinking it was a one time deal, but now it's aggravating because I'm pretty sure it's only going to result in us getting allstate nets.

I know I'll probably upset some readers on here, but the frat reserved seats have bothered me since my first game here. They are the last students into the stadium and the first to leave and the get the best student seats in the stadium.

Know for a fact that I was in the student section until the final whistle of the game on saturday.

Archived