Looks like Bart Eddins is moving

rchandlerh

this happens a lot. Stud defensive line players come in and are better suited for offensive line.

Yep. For instance: our two potential all-american guards Tim Duckworth and Ben Grubbs both started out on defense when they arrived on the plains.

this happens a lot. Stud defensive line players come in and are better suited for offensive line.

Yep. For instance: our two potential all-american guards Tim Duckworth and Ben Grubbs both started out on defense when they arrived on the plains.

Duck went offense > defense > offense.

I didn't know that. Thanks

I just got my information from a Rivals article and his database says he was recruited as a D-tackle because I couldn't remember.

I didn't know that. Thanks

I just got my information from a Rivals article and his database says he was recruited as a D-tackle because I couldn't remember.

A lot of guys like that play ironman in high school - both ways, especially at smaller schools. Did you know Duckworth blocked in high school for his QB, none other than Jason Campbell? Yeah, that Taylorsville (MS) team was good.

this might be a good thing... it just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. last fall coaches loved his potential; now after not playing a single down and busting it on the scout team all fall, he's moving over to offensive line to a position that looks slightly congested (mike berry, tyrone green, and leon hart all look like they have a major, major, major leg up on the competition for a starting spot at guard... along with daniels at tackle and bosley at center).

and it's a little off to compare him to ben grubbs. grubbs was a potshot signing for us. he actually came in as a defensive end and ate himself into a tackle then got moved to offense. he didn't come here being praised (by our staff) as one of the best defensive tackles in the country. he was a guy that worked into a position that he'd never played before.

i'm not at all saying this is a bad move. i haven't seen the guy play at all. i haven't seen him practice. i'm just saying i find it strange to see a guy that was universally looked at as a big time prospect at a position where we need help getting moved over to a spot where we look pretty solid. brett eddins even said that bart was better on the dline than he ever was... if that's even remotely true, i'll take it right now. i'll go on record as saying that if it were up to me i'd rather see him stay on the defensive side of the line. if he turns out to be an all-american guard or tackle, the joke's on me.

This is a move that I would have never seen coming. However, there's no way I can question this staff's ability to evaluate talent and get the right players in the right positions. You can bet this decision wasn't made overnight. They must see something in Bart that makes them think he would be more successful on the offensive side of the ball. Then again, it could be an experiment and he could wind up back on defense. Either way, I trust their decisions. War Eagle, Bart, give 'em hell on the O-line!

this might be a good thing... it just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. last fall coaches loved his potential; now after not playing a single down and busting it on the scout team all fall, he's moving over to offensive line to a position that looks slightly congested (mike berry, tyrone green, and leon hart all look like they have a major, major, major leg up on the competition for a starting spot at guard... along with daniels at tackle and bosley at center).

and it's a little off to compare him to ben grubbs. grubbs was a potshot signing for us. he actually came in as a defensive end and ate himself into a tackle then got moved to offense. he didn't come here being praised (by our staff) as one of the best defensive tackles in the country. he was a guy that worked into a position that he'd never played before.

i'm not at all saying this is a bad move. i haven't seen the guy play at all. i haven't seen him practice. i'm just saying i find it strange to see a guy that was universally looked at as a big time prospect at a position where we need help getting moved over to a spot where we look pretty solid. brett eddins even said that bart was better on the dline than he ever was... if that's even remotely true, i'll take it right now. i'll go on record as saying that if it were up to me i'd rather see him stay on the defensive side of the line. if he turns out to be an all-american guard or tackle, the joke's on me.

I love Bart Eddins, but I'll be the first to say that he was overrated as a HS player. Scout had him as a 5-star prospect and that was plain ridiculous, he simply wasn't that good. Rivals judged him much better, they actually rated Ricks as the better player (and this looks to be correct). Eddins played against weak competition which infalted his production, he was a good prospect, but not all-world like some hyped him to be. You've got to understand this when looking at this.

With that in mind, we signed a HUGE DL class last year which included the following players who played DT in HS: Eddins, Ricks, Smith, Blanc, Isom, Clayton (DT/DE tweener). Thats SIX players that all projected as DTs if they played defense in college...problem is: theres NO way that all those players are staying on the defensive side of the ball. The plan (THE WHOLE TIME) was to move ATLEAST two of said player to offense. With that in mind, we can eliminate Greg Smith and Clayton from consideration because neither projected to offense well (Smith was a TRUE DL stud and Clayton projected as a kid who could play SDE). We've now got Eddins, Isom, Blanc, and Ricks fighting out for two DT spots...the other two would be moved to OL. Isom was the first to be moved because he was the one guy that was recruited with near guarenteed intention to move to offense. That left Blanc, Ricks, and Eddins to battle it out. The result was quite simple: both Blanc and Ricks outplayed Bart Eddins. Ricks actually contributed some this year and was one of two players who didn't redshirt, and from all reports, Blanc has been the biggest surprise all year: he's getting HUGE praise. Turns out that Blanc was another CTT steal and would have likely been a 4-star recruit if his video got into scouting services earlier. Eddins was simply outplayed.

I love Bart Eddins, but I'll be the first to say that he was overrated as a HS player. Scout had him as a 5-star prospect and that was plain ridiculous, he simply wasn't that good. Rivals judged him much better, they actually rated Ricks as the better player (and this looks to be correct). Eddins played against weak competition which infalted his production, he was a good prospect, but not all-world like some hyped him to be. You've got to understand this when looking at this.

With that in mind, we signed a HUGE DL class last year which included the following players who played DT in HS: Eddins, Ricks, Smith, Blanc, Isom, Clayton (DT/DE tweener). Thats SIX players that all projected as DTs if they played defense in college...problem is: theres NO way that all those players are staying on the defensive side of the ball. The plan (THE WHOLE TIME) was to move ATLEAST two of said player to offense. With that in mind, we can eliminate Greg Smith and Clayton from consideration because neither projected to offense well (Smith was a TRUE DL stud and Clayton projected as a kid who could play SDE). We've now got Eddins, Isom, Blanc, and Ricks fighting out for two DT spots...the other two would be moved to OL. Isom was the first to be moved because he was the one guy that was recruited with near guarenteed intention to move to offense. That left Blanc, Ricks, and Eddins to battle it out. The result was quite simple: both Blanc and Ricks outplayed Bart Eddins. Ricks actually contributed some this year and was one of two players who didn't redshirt, and from all reports, Blanc has been the biggest surprise all year: he's getting HUGE praise. Turns out that Blanc was another CTT steal and would have likely been a 4-star recruit if his video got into scouting services earlier. Eddins was simply outplayed.

The only thing I saw from Eddins last year was the Army All Star game and I wasn't impressed. When an offensive lineman his size or larger locked up on him the play was over as far as he was concerned.

Everyone has been projecting him as a guard but I think he might be better suited to center. Nall said they were looking at him to play there also.

Duck went offense > defense > offense.

Actually, Grubbs did too. TE> DE> OG.

The only thing I saw from Eddins last year was the Army All Star game and I wasn't impressed. When an offensive lineman his size or larger locked up on him the play was over as far as he was concerned.

Everyone has been projecting him as a guard but I think he might be better suited to center. Nall said they were looking at him to play there also.

Eddins played hurt at the Army AA game if I remember correctly, but the point is still valid. He really looked out of place going against some of the stud linemen present. It should be noted that he was named the Captain of the team by his teammates, which shows his attitude and personality. He's a real good kid who should make a big impact on the OL.

Center is a bit harder to "shift" to because its the one OL position where you actually need to know stuff. I personally think that Eddins will make a great OG due to his athleticism and aggressiveness. I dont think he'll stick at OC because I believe that Ryan Pugh will be the next in line to hold that spot for a while. Eddins and Pugh will both be at the same spot in terms of experience in college (as Eddins has played no OL) so I'd have to believe that Pugh's experience at OC will win out.

i understand that we always intended to move some of those guys around, but it seems like a stretch to me to say that the biggest DT signing class of tubby's career was basically always intended to amount to three guys, only two of which are freshmen. we always knew isom was getting moved. most people projected clayton as a strongside end. that leaves you four guys (3 freshmen) to help the depth at two positions. it's not a stretch to say that each of those guys could've stayed there (with smith getting no more than 2 years on the field) and seen significant time in college.

that said, it's interesting to hear from folks who actually saw him play. i never have so i'm totally in the dark about his capabilities. if he works as hard as brett did and has more talent than brett had (as the brett himself stated), i find it hard to believe he couldn't contribute on the dline. it's not like he's moving into a spot that doesn't have potential starters in line.

i know we're losing four starters on the line, but i think we can all agree that only 2 of the spots are actually "up for grabs." dunlap will keep his LT spot, hart will fill one of the guard spots, and bosley's gonna take over at center. that leaves a tackle spot (most likely manned by daniels but he's got a little competition) and one guard spot which features two guys as frontrunners: tyronne green and mike berry. one the coaches have talked about for two years; the other coach nall called the best freshman lineman he's ever coached last fall.

also, it's not like these guys are terribly young. i have no problem with our staff moving guys around (i think they actually do more harm than good when they bounce guys back and forth but that's a fairly rare occurence); i'm just saying this particular move isn't an automatic home run. i hope it works out for eddins and for auburn, and i trust anyone who's seen this guy up close more than i do myself.

Archived